• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Stands/Holders?

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I'm looking for ideas for DIY target stands/holdersthat will hold a 2'x2'cardboard or hardboard backer a couple of feet off the ground.

I've seen various wooden and PVC pipe frames on the net, but was looking for designs that would be easy to carry and put up on rough/broken ground and just wondered if anybody had any better suggestions...

At the moment I tended to use a large cardboard box, but I want to put a few of theses out at various distances so I can work my drops out.

The land I will be shooting over is fairly broken, so it means carrying everything out on foot and then collecting it again afterwards hence I want something light and easy to carry.

Pictures of your set-ups would be welcome...

Re: Target Stands/Holders?

I recently bought this one. Cheap, and even though it's plastic in the body, (wouldn't want to shotgun it) it holds up well!! For $20 hard to beat! When you shoot the backer board material the comes with it you can either buy more from cabela's or where ever you bought it from or use cardboard like your talking about! Also the arms fold up into itself and makes a fairly small package for storage.

Worked well for me!

loc2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OregonShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are still my favorites...
http://www.oregonshooter.com/index.php/articles/view/cheap_light_folding_target_stand/ </div></div>

Jim,

I came across that plus a few similar ideas while doing a search on the web. It looks a nice idea, buts its not really suitable for the terrain where I need to locate my targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently bought this one. Cheap, and even though it's plastic in the body, (wouldn't want to shotgun it) it holds up well!! For $20 hard to beat! When you shoot the backer board material the comes with it you can either buy more from cabela's or where ever you bought it from or use cardboard like your talking about! Also the arms fold up into itself and makes a fairly small package for storage.
Worked well for me! </div></div>

BigDKC,

I like that idea very much although it would bug me no end when I eventually managed to put a bulletthrough it! *lol* There is another similar item by MTM, but this one looks better..I shall have a search on the British shooting sites to see if anybody sells them over here

In the mean time, I think I have a solution in the form of the "ground spikes" that are used to hold rotary washing lines/driers (see example below)...
224_0.jpg

The local hardware store sells these cheap as chips and it means I can drive two of them part way into the ground, and use them to hold the wooden uprights of a target frame.

On the ground in question, which is very rough and covered in heather (think upland tundra) I think these will be the best compromise between stability and ease of carrying ect.

Meant to add, thats a nice looking range you have there, is your own set up?

Regards,

Peter

Look at lowes or home depot. They have metal frame that hold signs. There made out of metal angle and hold property for sale sings. We use thim to hold up a 10 round plate by rope and a metal clip.

Elections are coming you should be able to find a goodly selection of "candidate" signs posted about in various places. They are made of a fairly tough plastic/vinyl covering over a wire frame. They stand about 24 - 30" off the deck depending on how far you push them in. Staples hold targets to them well w/ duct tape as a back up if windy. Cheap, lay flat, light weight etc..

Cheers,

Doc

Guys keep in mind that Pete is acrossed the pond ...... they may not do election signs there like we do here. Or have Lowes or Home Depot either.

Actually just missed the election signs; it seems they were stripped down within 24 hours of our recent general election finishing...Its not an issue though as I already have the hardboard backers, I was just looking for a quick and easy way to hold the frame, which I think I have now..

What I did see on another forum as somesort of signholder you guys get...Basically it was two wire uprights (looked about like coathanger or fencing fire) and they each had two flat circles formed from the wire to hold the cardboard...They looked as if they would do a good job, but I can't say I've ever seen them this side of the pond..

ditto on the election or even real estate signs would make a good starting platform. some of the wire garage sale frames too maybe. rebar and a vise also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BigDKC,

I like that idea very much although it would bug me no end when I eventually managed to put a bulletthrough it! *lol* There is another similar item by MTM, but this one looks better..I shall have a search on the British shooting sites to see if anybody sells them over here

Meant to add, thats a nice looking range you have there, is your own set up?

Regards,

Peter </div></div>

Peter I wish!
smile.gif
It's private land that my father and I have permission to shoot on when it's not being farmed or worked. About an hour and a half drive from where I live. That is the zoomed in image I posted, it's actually right at 500 yards from the shooting position to the tree line.

And yup your right, I've only used the target holder once and it survived but eventually it will get a round through it! haha

I have to admit, I failed to pay attention to the location in your profile!!
laugh.gif
Can you guys get caldwell products over there?? I'm guessing there is no cabela's handy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peter I wish!
smile.gif
It's private land that my father and I have permission to shoot on when it's not being farmed or worked. About an hour and a half drive from where I live. That is the zoomed in image I posted, it's actually right at 500 yards from the shooting position to the tree line.</div></div>

Still quite lucky...I have permission to shoot over a couple of local farms, but there are too many houses in the area to shot more than a round or two, and even then, there are no spots that offer more than 100 yards *and* a safe back stop. Still, I have another place lined up about 15 miles away which should offer longer distances but (where i want these targets for) but access will be a little more restricted as they run a large commercial pheasant shoot on the ground..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have to admit, I failed to pay attention to the location in your profile!!
laugh.gif
Can you guys get caldwell products over there?? I'm guessing there is no cabela's handy! </div></div>

We do get a limited range of Caldwell and MTM, but one where local sells beyond the basics..At least with the Net I have a fighting chance of getting hold of stuff like this now though..

Regards,

Peter

These are simple to build, stack for transport and cheap to build.

IMG00144.jpg

IMG00146.jpg