• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review*

uhcoog1

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2009
Houston, TX
UPDATE 1/27/11

For those who have been following, the group buy is canceled.

If you want a unit, you can build, roll the dice with Ron, or buy one off someone who has a working unit.

Here is the result of the Test Batch - this was a bad audition:

oldgrayone - 1000 yard unit - did not receive a payment request, had trouble getting in touch with Ron, and then there were some discrepancies in email addresses used and if Ron received certain emails. Chose to not buy, sketchy situation.

Mudcat-NC - 1000 yard unit - received a prompt payment request, funded promptly, and received the unit in the correct amount of time (no tracking number given, though). The unit did not work for him, he was shooting black high power targets, and the resolution was not good enough to identify holes. Asked to return the unit, and ended up having to file a paypal dispute to get Ron's attention and get it returned. He did get a refund, but was out shipping.

dr petelr - 2000 yard unit - Prompt payment request, prompt funding, received the unit in the correct amount of time (no tracking number). The camera was hot glued, and broke within 2 minutes (the camera was hanging by the wires). Ron apologized, said somehow an old camera must have been used, because now everything should be clamped on. Pete returned it for a refund, I believe Ron was helpful and took care of the return in a timely manner.

ranger70 - 2000 yard unit - paid, received unit, and it works. Max range he has gotten so far is ~1200 yards.

oubeta - 2000 yard unit - paid, received unit, and it works. He had to focus the camera- why that wasn't done by Ron, we don't know. OU has not had the chance to fully test the unit, but it works and has been confirmed to at least 700 yards.

Chiller - 2000 yard unit - backed out before payment.

bigsky - 2000 yard unit - backed out before payment.

Fellas, if I've got facts wrong, let me know and I'll correct it.

********************************************************************************

I bit the bullet and decided to be the guinea pig.

I bought a 2000 yard remote video system from targetteck.com.

Packaging was nice. It better be, considering I waited a month to receive this after paying for it. Apparently they were waiting on some components.
camera001.jpg

Case is small and light (8"x12"x4"). This system uses lithium ion batteries (used to be lead acid), so I'm guessing that's what keeps it so light.

camera003.jpg

Upon opening the case, there is foam to protect the screen and keep things where it needs to be. There were instructions included- They say they are temporary, and the permanent will be mailed shortly. At this point I haven't decided how many orders this company has filled. When asked, they stated "over 500", but mine I believe is the first with lithium ion batteries, and the set up changed as well.

camera006.jpg

Removing the protective foam shows everything in the kit. The foam is cut-out to keep things in place.

camera007.jpg

The battery pack that powers the receiver didn't stay in place. Hot glue- there's gotta be a better way.

camera008l.jpg

I pulled out the transmitter to assemble this thing to test it. Here it is. The battery, transmitter, and camera are all attached.

camera010.jpg

The stand was not in the case, and it screws on. I screwed it on, and the finger knob came off (it was hot glued on- seriously?). That's ok, because the actual screw is an allen wrench head.

camera011.jpg

I turned everything on, and it works. The lens is a 25mm, so it is not made for close up images. I aim it at a couple maps on the wall, and get an ok view. I grabbed an old target and an old wall street journal and taped it on the wall. There, now I can get an idea of image quality. FYI- the bullet holes are .30cal.

camera018.jpg

To get the image centered, I had to angle the camera. It seems the camera was not mounted straight (angled to one side) within it's small sunshade/protective covering. The camera adjustment arm is not screwed in very tightly to the battery- it came out in my hand when I went half a turn in the wrong direction.

camera015.jpg

I was able to get it screwed back on without much effort, and turned the camera in the other direction to get it to balance better on the stand and to get the image oriented correctly on the screen. You can see I had to pull it down to the side and angle the camera.

camera017.jpg

Re: Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review*

5 Hours 10 minutes later - the unit is still running. These batteries last. They told me 7-8 hours runtime when fully charged- I believe it. I did not charge this, instead I chose to fully run the batteries down straight out of the box.

This image was taken later in the day, the holes show up better with better exterior light shining in. The camera is 7 feet from the target, and the area shown on the screen is 9"x11.5" measured with a tape. Some odd lines showed up on the picture that do not show to the naked eye.

camera020.jpg

I just got back from driving down the street behind my office to see what kind of range I would get. I left the transmitter on my desk on the 5th floor, still below the mid-waist wall height that is below my window. I was able to get intermittent video at .4 miles, or ~700 yards. Given a wall or two, and a few trees in the way, I thought that was ok. I'll give it a go at the range and in the country soon to test the 2000 yard range claim.

Ok, so now to test how far I can place the camera from the target and still see bullet holes. I started at 15 feet. The image was very bright, so I adjusted the constrast down to 11% from 50% - what a difference!!!! The holes are much more distinguishable. I guess depending on the light conditions, you'll need to adjust the contrast. At 15 feet, the image area was 25.5"x19.5".

camera021h.jpg

Next, at 25 feet. The image area was 42"x33". 25 feet is the recommended range.

camera022.jpg

Next, I walked as far back as possible while I could still see some of the bullet holes. At 68 feet, I could still see dark areas- but I think 25-40 feet is probably about as far as I'll go. You wouldn't be able to distinguish individual hits at 68 feet.

camera023.jpg

Update: it just ran out of juice at 7 hours even. It looks like the receiver/ screen side went out first, which makes sense.

I'll get out to the range with this over the weekend. I'm going to try to get a couple Hide members out there with me to give their impressions on it.

I spoke to the vendor about this, and asked if he could give us a discount with a group buy. If there is enough interest, I'll put something together after I finish the review. The discount he quoted me was significant.

What was the original price? Was there a warranty? Is there capability to have multiple cameras run on the same screen and flip between cameras? Looks interesting so far. Hope the range test results work out well. Look forward to hearing your range report.

Retail Prices:

$539 - 1000 yard unit

$669 - 2000 yard unit

Don't know about warranty information, but the instructions state if you shoot the system, it's a $79-$99 charge to fix it.

It advertises 8 channels. I've got it to work on 7 channels. I'll find out the cost of extra transmitters/cameras/batteries.

Can you share how you contacted the company? Earlier this year
when this thread was really hot I tried there office and cell# for over
a week to no avail. I work about a 1/2 mile from there address they have
listed but I thought they were out of buisness.

I called and emailed, and Ron called me back from the cell number listed.

His response time has been sporadic, sometimes answering emails in an hour and other times in a few days.

Thats pretty cool!!

get out there and put it to the real test 1500-2000yrds Ive been looking at building one but for 700.00 that sound like a good price if it works out to 2000yrds that would be awesome

Very cool! But it seems like they rushed it a bit with the glue and not screwing things down properly

Do yourself a favor and scrape the hot glue off and fasten everything with industrial Velcro. It's what I used when I built my video system. The Velcro holds everything tightly in place - including the lead acid batteries in the base station - and provides the added benefit of easy removal and replacement.

You'll enjoy more time shooting and less time running back and forth.

FWIW - Here's the link with pictures: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...44#Post2082444. All components are fastened using industrial Velcro. You'll find it a fabric stores. I bought the 3 inch wide stuff and cut to fit.

I'll put a group buy together once I test it out a little more. I should be able to finish up the testing this weekend.

Awesome - looking forward to the range test. If it works decent at 1000 yards then I'll buy one.

Very good!

How to know nothing about electronics, radio frequency transmission, cameras, and assemblies. I really enjoyed your information and I candidly buy one unit of these after you have done this test.

Count me in on your shopping list.
laugh.gif

Selva

Thanks much for that considered and informative post. I feel confident that turnkey systems like that will improve and become very economical with some advents in technology, the two biggies are run time and the antennas I believe...I know some guys who are really tech savy, and they think their are a lot of new tech gear that will help these things work better right now, they just haven't been fully vetted yet.

Guys like you help make that happen! I will await your field experience, I shoot solo often, and a system like this would make a lot of things easier!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The discount he quoted me <span style="text-decoration: underline">was significant</span>. </div></div>

Very cool - looking forward to hearing how it all worked out. His website to put it mildly, sucks. He could do a lot better with his sales if he had a real site that didn't look the way his does.

And I totally agree with Xshot on his velcro - that's a great idea versus the hot-glue.

Re: Target Teck Remote Target Video System *Review

I've been thinking about buying one of these for some time. Thanks a bunch for the review and I'm looking forward to your range test. If you think it looks like a winner, you can add me to the list for a group buy.

BTW: Analogous to my personal mantra, "Don't shoot the Chrony", I would add, "Don't shoot the Target Teck, it costs a lot more". After thinking about buying one, I also had the thought that a correctly sized piece of AR500 folded back over itself (or two sheets welded together) might be a way to protect the camera from accidental impacts (see diagram below). The camera could just sit on the ground inside its little AR500 tent and be (reasonably) safe from misses. After having had a chance to look the unit over, do you think this idea would work or be practical? Obviously the antenna might need to stick out to one side of the shield to properly send/receive the signal. I think it would protect the camera reasonably well, but ricochets might be a problem.

Slide1-3.jpg

Not a tough set up to put together with components from Super Circuit or any of a number of other vendors. The trick with range and video quality is the antenna. A lot of different types and sizes. Using a directional like a "patch" antenna on either end or both ends will really improve the signal and range. Price for the components not too bad for all put together byt the hot glue stuff definitely takes off style points.

I've been thinking about the steel protection as well. I really feel like I'll be able to get it far enough away and to the side for it to not matter, though if I can do something for protection that is low budget/ effort, I'll gladly do it.

You're right, this isn't that hard to piece together, and I had all my pieces lined up to build my own. I added up the cost, and it was over 400, so I called target teck.
At the end of the day, buying this is "cheaper" when considering price and time. I have various stuff from my planned system laying around, so maybe I'll make a super long range one for watching game one day. The one I had planned wasn't nearly as compact.

Went to the gun range to test the range of the unit. I have the 2000 yard unit. Works fine at 1000 yards. The image looked the same as it did when only a few feet away; there were however a few lines that slowly worked their way across the screen, but definitely not anything that affected the image. I also tried it from the cab of my truck through the windshield- it worked, though I had to hold it just right (the antennas work best when straight up).

1000yd.jpg

Here's a picture of the angle I had on the target- it was probably about a 35 degree angle or so. The image did not appear "angled" on the screen.

angleontarget.jpg

I couldn't get anyone to go out with me today, so I wasn't able to test it past 1000 yards (I was going to set up 2000+ on a road somewhere). Anyone in the Houston area want to help or have access to a clear shot of 2000-2500 yards?

I do believe getting this thing up off the ground is one of the key's to success. I think I'll get a cheap ebay tripod for when I'm not shooting at a target above a puller's berm.

Was looking for there booth at the local gun show to no avail. I will
try and swing by this coming week for a visit to there shop and update
this thread.

Thanks John. Let me know. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see what he's got on hand.

I can't wait to try this thing, it looks great!

For anyone who's been watching this thread for updates- I have none. I have not been able to get a hold of Ron to ask the questions.

List of questions for him that I have compiled:

What warranty does this come with?
What is the cost of additional camera units?
How many units do you have built, and how many units do you currently have the parts for?

Anything else anyone want to know?

As far as testing the true range of the unit, I'll be out in Midland for the Christmas Holidays, so I'll test it out there.

Josh- let me know the next time you head to the range, and I'll either come out or send this with you. If anyone else in the Houston area wants to check it out, let me know, I'll be happy to oblige.

Got some questions answered - Group buy is on. I'll be posting it in the Group Buy section shortly.
2000+ yard unit is $480 plus shipping
1000+ yard unit is $390 plus shipping

Additional transmitter/camera units (so you can set up on multiple targets feeding to one receiver):
2000+ yard transmitter/camera $285
1000+ yard transmitter/camera $235

I spoke to Ron tonight. He said he does this full time, his son and wife help, and he has 2 other guys who work part-time.

Regarding the hot glue- the battery is supposed to be 3M taped down, NOT hot glued (he sounded annoyed with his help who made the mistake). Regarding the off-center camera shroud- it slips off so I can center it.

He said the 2000+ unit is nearly 2 watts. That's big power. They operate between 900mhz to 1.2 ghz on a digital spread spectrum so they do not interfere with other signals.

The warranty is 1 year on parts and labor, though the warranty does not cover if you try charging the battery with something other than the supplied plugs.

If you shoot the transmitter (hasn't happened yet on any of his 500 units out), then you're looking at an estimated $100 repair charge.

Currently he has parts for ~10 units. He said he will get a new shipment after Christmas.

I'll update this thread when I test the limit of the range of this unit, everything else will be on the Group Buy page.

Thank you for all your efforts. I was going to build one but with the GB prices it is a no brainer. I will be getting in the group buy.

Those are great prices for that - thanks for the leg work.

I would hope you guys pay by credit card and make sure if it is not delivered in a timely manner to have the CC charged back. There are 3 or 4 guys on FCSA that were ripped off by Ron Kunzel. Sent money and no product just a lot of excuses with no merchandise. I think it is a very nice unit if you are lucky enough to actually receive one.

I will forward this link to the guys on there and hope they register and let you know their stories. Maybe Ron can come through and show he is a man of his word and ship the units to these very patient gentlemen. That would go miles toward the confidence of potential buyers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hope you guys pay by credit card and make sure if it is not delivered in a timely manner to have the CC charged back. There are 3 or 4 guys on FCSA that were ripped off by Ron Kunzel. Sent money and no product just a lot of excuses with no merchandise. I think it is a very nice unit if you are lucky enough to actually receive one.

I will forward this link to the guys on there and hope they register and let you know their stories. Maybe Ron can come through and show he is a man of his word and ship the units to these very patient gentlemen. That would go miles toward the confidence of potential buyers. </div></div>

Mechanic-

I'd like to know more. If Ron hasn't made it right with them and doesn't, then that's not a business I will support. I will not go through with the group buy if he's ripping people off.

Anyone who's signed up- let's wait and see what comes of this.

Paypal allows a dispute to be opened within 45 days after payment. I've used the paypal dispute before, and the process took a verrryy long time (2 months?) for me to get my money back.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Mechanic.

Wade

To Wade and Mechanic,

I am new to the Hide but it is people like you that make this place great. From a newbie, my thanks.

Peter

I will try and swing by his shop tommorow and update this thread
once I get a chance to talk to him.

I have posted on the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Association) with a link to this thread. It is not NEARLY as active as this site but it is a paid members site so cross linking is not permitted.

The thread on this was started months ago. Anyone with access to the site can check it out. It is labeled "Targetteck Video Spotting Scope. Did I get scammed?"
That being said it is up to those gentlemen to actually come here and tell their side of the story otherwise it is just heresay(sic). One had purchased a unit many years ago out of the Shotgun news sent the money in and never received the unit and no return of money.

Like I said I have no skin in this game but having multiple people with similar stories gives me pause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been thinking about buying one of these for some time. Thanks a bunch for the review and I'm looking forward to your range test. If you think it looks like a winner, you can add me to the list for a group buy.

BTW: Analogous to my personal mantra, "Don't shoot the Chrony", I would add, "Don't shoot the Target Teck, it costs a lot more". After thinking about buying one, I also had the thought that a correctly sized piece of AR500 folded back over itself (or two sheets welded together) might be a way to protect the camera from accidental impacts (see diagram below). The camera could just sit on the ground inside its little AR500 tent and be (reasonably) safe from
misses. After having had a chance to look the unit over, do you think this idea would work or be practical? Obviously the antenna might need to stick out to one side of the shield to properly send/receive the signal. I think it would protect the camera reasonably well, but ricochets might be a problem.

Slide1-3.jpg
</div></div>

I just wanna watch somebody fold ar500. Make a video of that. Get us a real good closeup

I have heard the same thing. I looked into this about year ago. I have emailed and call Ron about 15 times with no response back. Finally 8 months later got a call, I see you left meassages emails, do you still want a camera. I got a bad feeling when he doesnt' return emails or messages for 8 months. Do some research and ask for dealer you can talk to. I went another way. Pay with CC>and good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hope you guys pay by credit card and make sure if it is not delivered in a timely manner to have the CC charged back. There are 3 or 4 guys on FCSA that were ripped off by Ron Kunzel. Sent money and no product just a lot of excuses with no merchandise. I think it is a very nice unit if you are lucky enough to actually receive one.

I will forward this link to the guys on there and hope they register and let you know their stories. Maybe Ron can come through and show he is a man of his word and ship the units to these very patient gentlemen. That would go miles toward the confidence of potential buyers. </div></div>

Maybe it would be better to make a parts list and gather a list of distributors to build our own? It doesn't look that complicated - basically you're just paying this other guy to run down all the parts and stuff it all into a box for you, right?

Xshot had a good thread going describing what he'd done, but if you have a parts list then maybe it would be that much easier?

Hello - I am one of the fellows from FCSA, in fact I started the thread Mechanic referred to. In a nutshell, I ordered a unit earlier this year. My credit card was billed and I recieved nothing. Ron stated he had no way to return my funds and I took it up with my CC company.(I should mention I'm from Canada) They credited my money, but told me it was temporary, pending they could get it straightened out....so far I have heard no more on that front. I did e-mail Ron a couple weeks back and stated that if he could assure me that he was square with my CC people, I would order a unit......he has not answered me so far.
For what its worth, I am pursuing other channels to piece together a similar system rather than risk any more effort on Targetteck. Being electronically challenged, its a struggle, but I plan to have something together by spring.
Sorry for being long-winded. Just wanted to pass on the facts.

Thanks for posting Dmay.

I vote for putting this buy in hold. What do you guys who want units think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting Dmay.

I vote for putting this buy in hold. What do you guys who want units think? </div></div>

Yeah think I'm going to pass for now.

I think the time is ripe for somebody with the proper knowledge to put together a package of componants and market them.
I know there was a thread somewhere about it, and I PM'd a guy who was mentioning it (ffhogue on this board), but haven't heard anything. I would love to do it, but lack the expertise, and am disadvantaged by being in Canada.
Hopefully somebody will soon take on the project, I, for one, would immediately order, my only caveat being that the unit would have to reach 2 miles......

Wade, did you guys stretch the legs of this unit out on the dirt road this morning? I thought I saw one of your trucks sitting on the side of the road for a while just outside the gate...

It was great meeting you, and getting to take a look at the camera in action.

Later,
Steve

Although I have a pretty extensive background in metalworking, I've never worked directly with AR500...that's why it says "welded" first. I don't really care how the pieces would be hooked together, weld it, bolt it, cut slots in a 4x4 piece of wood for the two pieces for that matter. The idea was to protect the camera to some extent, not to debate the proper way to manipulate AR500 hardened steel.

Scap99-

Yes, we "stretched the legs" of the unit this morning.

2000 yard unit:
- our "best" was around .9-1.0 mile. So, ~1500 yards. This was on a dirt road with trees on the sides and powerlines running down the side. There were intermittent cars driving (but mostly it was clear). We spent a considerable amount of time at 1.3 miles (~2250 yards) trying different channels to get it to work- no luck.

I called Ron just now to ask him if I truly had the 2000 yard unit. He verified I did (the transmitter runs the full height of the battery).

I also asked Ron about the issue with the 50 cal guys. He said they had a 3-4 month period where they were not able to produce any units, because of a problem with suppliers. He also said they had a manufacturer that was ?"making" these for them? and that it "didn't work out", and he had to repair and replace a number of units that they put out.

I'm not sure what I think of this, and where I stand on trust with Ron. As it sits right now, I'm not comfortable assembling a group buy and being responsible for his customer service and product quality.

If you want to order from Ron at the Group Buy price, go for it, I'll help you get in touch with Ron and everything, but I will not be held responsible for what comes of it.

For everyone who is still interested in a remote target camera system:
I spoke with someone this morning about sourcing the parts needed to build this, on a commericial level. I built a system before purchasing this one, and realized I would spend ~$400 building it myself.

I'll be moving forward with that, and I'll keep ya'll updated to let you know if it's a viable business model.

DMay- Building a system good to 2 miles is all about wattage and antennas. I've got a couple directional antennas that could work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had a fellow shooter from another forum post on the review of the system that he paid Targetteck and did not receive a unit. It took a while, and his credit card company had to get the refund for him. The credit card company said it was a temporary refund, pending speaking with Ron. To date, the shooter does not believe Ron has spoken with the credit card company, so his "case" may still be in limbo.

I asked Ron about this event, and he made it sound like "no big deal", and mentioned trouble with suppliers, manufacturers, and a lull in manufacturing 3-4 months long. He said ~10 orders were not filled and refunds were given, and a number of units were returned for warranty work and they were fixed.

I will not assume liability for Targetteck's potential troubles with orders- so please, understand the risk if you still want to order. I will still get you the group buy price, but be prepared to open a paypal dispute if you do not receive the product in a reasonable amount of time. 45 days is the time limit for opening a dispute via paypal.

Anyone who has said they want a unit, please make a decision if you are willing to "risk it".

Additionally, I have spoken with a couple people regarding the viability of producing units like these. There is no timeline in sight, but I want you to know that hopefully there will be another option (with wonderful customer service) in the near future. </div></div>

I posted this on the group buy page.