• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TargetCam.net - The High Tech Spotting Scope

TahoeRider

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2012
Reno, NV
www.targetcam.net
Hello members of The Hide. My name is Keith Averill - owner of www.TargetCam.net

After a year of development I'd like to introduce our product. It is a fully self contained, ready to go right out of the box, long range target camera system. Over the past year we have been working diligently on this project and have come up with what we feel is the best product possible for the long range precision shooter.

Our initial goal for this project was to be able to see 22 caliber holes on paper from over 3000 yards away. Our field testing does this. We also wanted a system that is super easy to use and set up. Setup time for our system is less than 30 seconds. Using it is pretty much self explanatory (I promise).

We build our system into a tough, water tight, high quality Pelican case using the best parts that we could find for this application and $$$. The case is designed to hold either one camera or two - there is a removable plug of foam that allows another camera to fit in. About 1/2 of our customers get 2 cameras. Our complete one camera system sells for $785 and additional cameras are $265.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">As of now, we are offering all Hide members in good standing a substantial discount. The complete one camera system is $715 and additional cameras are $250.</span>

I know this sounds like a whole bunch of hooey sales talk but trust me on this one...once you shoot at a target 1000 yards downrange and are then able to just move your eyes over to look at the screen next to you - without even moving your cheek off the rifle, and see your shot you'll see why we are so excited about this project. Customers that we have sold units to say it really changes a day at the range and makes it a lot more productive with way less wasted time walking back and forth.

Frank has two of our earlier demo units and has been using them. We have made some minor changes since the time we sent him those units but for the most part our finished product is what he has. We can also do custom orders for anyone wanting a larger system (multiple cameras, multiple monitors...etc.)

For more info and pics please visit our web site at: www.TargetCam.net. Also, feel free to PM me, email me at [email protected] or call me direct at (775)852-9449 between 8 AM and 9 PM PCT. All of our units come with a complete 90 day refund if you are not completely satisfied. Our product is also covered by a one year from purchase warranty. The Pelican case that our units are built in comes with a lifetime warranty.

Happy New Year
Sincerely,
Keith Averill

Re: TargetCam.net - The High Tech Spotting Scope

Likewise Welcome, and thanks for offering what looks like a very nice complete turn key system.

Food for thought from somone who has been following the wireless target cam market for about the last 2-3 years. There are a number of guidelines/directions out there for a number of "build it yourself" systems. Depending on the complexity of the system, one of those systems can be built for $250-$500. Even at that price point, there are still not a lot of shooters building or using them. Personally, I have wanted a wireless target cam for many years, but the cost has kept me from doing it.

As such, do you have any plans for an "economy model", something in the $300-$500 price range?

I can understand if you believe in providing a top notch product and are not looking to trade your standards for a lower price point, but as they say it never hurts to ask.

Thanks and Best of Luck,
M Richardson

The site says the range is 2500 feet with line of sight, but most of us would want to put the camera behind a berm so the camera doesnt get shot up by the shooter (or someone else at the range).

What is the realistic range if you put the camera behind a berm?

Looking at the pictures it appears it's a standard antenna that you can just disconnect, get a standalone and run the cord to the side or top of the berm.

L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the pictures it appears it's a standard antenna that you can just disconnect, get a standalone and run the cord to the side or top of the berm.

L </div></div>

Thanks for the interest in our very cool, if I must say so myself, target cam. You are correct, the system requires a direct "line-of-site." I hear what you're saying about putting the camera behind a berm. For this reason we are developing a big chunk of steel made out of 3/8 inch AR500 that the camera would sit behind. This will be an accessory that we will sell very soon just after the first of the year. Keep in mind that the camera sits about 25 feet away from the target. There are also external antennas that we can set you up with so that the camera can be mounted low behind the berm and the antenna peaking out over it on it's own tripod. This is very simple to setup and only costs about $50 extra for the antenna. We are experimenting with a number of antennas right now that we plan on offering as accessories.

Happy New Year,
Keith Averill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Likewise Welcome, and thanks for offering what looks like a very nice complete turn key system.

Food for thought from somone who has been following the wireless target cam market for about the last 2-3 years. There are a number of guidelines/directions out there for a number of "build it yourself" systems. Depending on the complexity of the system, one of those systems can be built for $250-$500. Even at that price point, there are still not a lot of shooters building or using them. Personally, I have wanted a wireless target cam for many years, but the cost has kept me from doing it.

As such, do you have any plans for an "economy model", something in the $300-$500 price range?

I can understand if you believe in providing a top notch product and are not looking to trade your standards for a lower price point, but as they say it never hurts to ask.

Thanks and Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Hello Captain...and thank you for your service!!!

During development a number of decisions were made about how to design the system. In the end we decided to go with better quality as opposed to cheaper components or design. We might build a less expensive version at some point but I kinda doubt it.

TahoeRider

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davidj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there a better picture of the bullet holes? </div></div>

It's one of my New Years resolutions to get some better pictures and some Utube video of our system. As soon as I have some I'll post em on targetcam.net

Just yesterday I was out doing some "extreme range" testing. I could see 22 caliber bullet holes from 3200 yards away. I would have kept driving but the road I was on dead ended.

For ELR applications the transmitter, or it's antenna, like to be up off the ground some. 1000 yards it works fine to have the camera mounted on one of the small table tripods on the ground, but for ELR of 1500 or more I'd mount the camera or external antenna up on a taller tripod at 5 feet or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for ELR of 1500 or more I'd mount the camera or external antenna up on a taller tripod at 5 feet or so.</div></div>

Can you explain why this is so.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for ELR of 1500 or more I'd mount the camera or external antenna up on a taller tripod at 5 feet or so.</div></div>

Can you explain why this is so.

Jeffvn </div></div>

sure...for ELR, Mr Transmitter likes to be up off the ground a few feet...he can talk to Mrs Receiver better that way (it's a signal wave length thing).

Less ground interference/obstacles (rocks, etc.) and being so low to the ground to compensate for curvature at that distance would be my guess.

Congrats on the vendor status and welcome, Keith.

I hope you can keep up with the demand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your product looks very interesting. Will a better warranty be offered in the near future? </div></div>

the components that we use to build our units are all under factory 1 year warranty. This means that if something happened to the screen or electronics or whatever you would return it to us and we would then return the faulty part to our supplier.

1 year is pretty standard these days for electronics. The Panasonic TV that I bought this year came with a one year warranty I think.

The Pelican cases are awesome and have a lifetime, unlimited, bet you can't hurt me big fella warranty. We have the foam insert inside the cases professionally cut by a company that does lots of this stuff so everything fits good and is protected from all the abuse that Hide members are sure to dish out.

I checked your sight out a whial back, looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TahoeRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your product looks very interesting. Will a better warranty be offered in the near future? </div></div>

the components that we use to build our units are all under factory 1 year warranty. This means that if something happened to the screen or electronics or whatever you would return it to us and we would then return the faulty part to our supplier.

1 year is pretty standard these days for electronics. The Panasonic TV that I bought this year came with a one year warranty I think.

The Pelican cases are awesome and have a lifetime, unlimited, bet you can't hurt me big fella warranty. We have the foam insert inside the cases professionally cut by a company that does lots of this stuff so everything fits good and is protected from all the abuse that Hide members are sure to dish out. </div></div>

10-4. Thanks for the response.

OK, I got one ordered this afternoon. It looks like this will be big help at the range, especially the long range.

Keith was great to talk with. He took the time to answer all my questions. I will post feedback about the setup once it gets here.

I am really interested in one of these systems and I think your price point is reasonable for what you provide, but would like more detail about 2 camera system and antenna issues out to 2000 yds. Can both cameras be viewed on split screen or do you have to switch screen from one camera to the other. I'll be buying in the next 2-3 months and will wait for some reviews and videos. Will be calling you to discuss in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sib1948</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am really interested in one of these systems and I think your price point is reasonable for what you provide, but would like more detail about 2 camera system and antenna issues out to 2000 yds. Can both cameras be viewed on split screen or do you have to switch screen from one camera to the other. I'll be buying in the next 2-3 months and will wait for some reviews and videos. Will be calling you to discuss in the future. </div></div>

Thanks for the interest in our product '48. Like I said before, we've designed what we feel is the best product possible for this application. Simple, tough, handsome...and it works like a champ. We could have skimped and used cheaper electronics, cheaper cameras, cases, screens....and priced it somewhat lower but we decided to build a tough "high end" product that will work past expectations and also last for years to come. We also designed it to be modular so that if there is ever a problem with one of the components that component can be easily removed and replaced.

Feel free to call me or email me any time, contact info is on our web site. FYI - I also have a firm policy of always returning calls and emails the same day - 100%.

Whenever I take one of our systems out to the range to demo it for people and they use it for the first time the lights go off in their head and they become a believer. I know this sounds corny but heh, it's true. This is especially true for people who have been struggling to see shots over 400 yds with their $2500 spotting scopes.

to answer your questions:

1. if you are using multiple cameras you change channels on the base unit (toggle up and down with the buttons you can see in the pics)

2. most likely you won't need any additional antennas. I've used our system a lot at ELR and haven't had to yet. The transmitter does need a clear line of site to the receiver though so if you are going to mount the camera down range behind a berm or rock for protection then you need to place an external antenna so that it peaks out over. Antennas are cheap and easy to install (about $50 or so). We are experimenting with some now and will be deciding on one for this type of setup and then buying some in bulk. We'll post them as an accessory on our web site later this month. Best thing to do is try our system first and if there are reception issues then order an antenna....probably won't need one though.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Also, I will be at Shot Show in a couple of weeks. I'm going as an attendee so if anyone wants to see our product pm me or email me and we'll meet there. This is also true for any dealers who want to sell our product. I'm staying at The Luxor so we could also meet there if that is easier.</span>

sorry to ramble on fellas
Happy NY
Keith

I have been using 2 of Keith's units here, and I have to say they are an excellent package.

I will get some pictures up, <span style="font-style: italic">(I took some but for the life of me can't find them beyond one on Facebook) </span>
457586_10151225177277953_1647408313_o.jpg

They are self contained, really easy to operate, and yes you have to switch them over to use multiple cameras, but it's easy. Push the button to change the channel like a tv.

I found they work well line of sight, but for extended distances, and if you want to put the camera below the LOS, like to protect it, remote the antenna. The nice part about it, all you need to do is extend the antenna with a cable, it doesn't require any system change, just a simple antenna one.

I was gonna have a review earlier but was called back East for a family emergency and missed a few opportunities to finish it up. Unfortunately it was beyond my control so I was unable to give him my thoughts in a timely manner.

But I will take some detailed shots this week, and post in here.

Of all the units I have seen, I like the way Keith incorporates the system in the Pelican Cases. It makes it easy to charge and easy to use. The batteries are lasting pretty long, I haven't killed one using it but I will turn the unit on here at home and see how long it lasts until it dies for everyone.

For those interested, Keith has been super to work with, totally willing to listen to any thoughts and concerns and always has a non-defensive answer like others have. Great to deal with.

Thanks for the compliments Frank, and thanks for building this awesome web site. Only problem with this web site is I log on and it's usually 2-3 hours before I realize what time it is.

The two units that I sent you were still kind of "prototypeish" We've made some improvements to the product since I sent those. Of course, those improvements are being incorporated into all current builds for customers. It's mostly refinements over your units and build process changes. I'll show you what I mean when we meet at Shot Show.

We also have plans for some increased capabilities for these units in the near future. I can't talk about them just yet but it will be some capabilities that a lot of people are going to use and, as far as I know, haven't been done before. Our current product has been designed all along to allow these capabilities to be retrofitted later. I wish I could tell you more about this but just can't right now. All I can say now is when we do this any serious or competitive shooter is probably going to say that using our product is "cheating."

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I would like to meet up with a bunch of people at Shot Show. I'm going to call a few of the other site sponsors here to see if they'd like to work with me on this, maybe we could meet at their booth or whatever. I didn't get a booth this year so I'm free to do whatever. Or, we could meet in my room or out by the pool at the Luxor and sit around and talk about this over a cold refreshment.</span>

Keith

Run time for our units from a full charge is about 5.5 hours. If you want more time than this we supply a 6ft power cord that allows you to plug into an additional battery and then directly into the female port in the unit. Any 12 volt battery will work for more juice out at the range.

We also supply a wall charger (smart charger) and a car charger with each of our systems.

Thinking longer term

Are the batteries easily replaceable by the end user? How does it perform in rain (a small lens/camera hood to keep water out of the camera lens)

Re: Thinking longer term

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the batteries easily replaceable by the end user? How does it perform in rain (a small lens/camera hood to keep water out of the camera lens) </div></div>

good questions...
there are two batteries - one in the camera and the other in the base unit. They are the same, 2.9 amp hour 12 volt. These are off the shelf batteries from Batteries Plus $22 and are covered by their 1 year warranty. It takes about 2 minutes to replace both batteries.

These units are not waterproof. The camera is enclosed in an aluminum enclosure but it is not water tight due to the holes we drill in it to poke the antenna, switch, charging port through etc. The components inside the camera box are all sealed up well but there is some wiring inside the box itself that would not do well if it got real wet. It would be very easy to devise a small hood, like you say, to shelter the camera from rain (that's a geat idea, I'm glad I thought of it
grin.gif
).

The camera has the standard 1/4 20 threads in the bottom to accept a tripod.

That's perfectly reasonable. Personally I'd like to see the units (at minimum, camera/transmitter) be made more water resistant.

When I was out west I often drove out into the desert/plains to set up and camp out for a few days gathering data.

If it rained I'd still shoot or try and sit it out so being able to leave the camera out there would make it better. Properly sealing the units would make it dust-proof.

Hey Fellas,

Just a few updates on the latest from TargetCam.net:

We now build each base unit with a visor to shade the screen. This is simple attachment that clips onto the screen plate. We were getting some people asking for this so it is now built into each unit.

I have a company designing a "camera protector" made out of 3/8" AR500 steel. The camera sits inside this for protection from stray bullets. It will be powder coated and very good quality...probably some other accessories from this company to follow as well like targets, reactive targets...etc. These accessories will be offered for sale on targetcam.net soon after we finalize design.

I will be at Shot Show next week from Wednesday-Saturday. PM me or call me to set up a meeting and see our product.

Keith Averill

When weather permits I would love to come try out your system. Let me know when you might be interested going out and throwing some lead.

Keith, how long is the SH discount going to be available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, how long is the SH discount going to be available? </div></div>

+1. Seems like a great unit and I've been looking into a camera-based system for some time now. Definitely interested. Keep us posted.

Lowlight said:
457586_10151225177277953_1647408313_o.jpg

I am very interested in these. And I am glad that you can effectively use it to ogle your Tac Ops Proof Target from the next room.
wink.gif

But seriously... I shoot a lot of paper and long ranger shooting paper sucks. My Kowa spotting scope is good to about 600 yards with a Shoot N C. But past that, I can't spot hits. And with mirage... forget about it.

Been waiting for something like this.

I got my TargetCam. I have been able to check it out around house and neighborhood.

The short story is the unit is just like TahoeRider and Lowlight described.
- It is very easy to setup and the camera and base station sync up right away.
- The unit is compact. Grab a small/medium sized tripod for the camera, and the Targetcam case, and you are set to go.
- The units seem very sturdy. While I don't plan on bashing it around, I don't think I need to baby it either.
- I was able to find a 1050 yard line of sight, in town, and the setup worked fine (stable image).
- The camera and base station are easy to charge.
- Changing the tx/rx frequency is easy if you need to do it.
- The camera lenses are quick and easy to change out.
- It looks like the sun shade was well thought out.
- The video monitor has a brightness adjustment which may come in handy.

So my first impressions are very good. I hope to get it to the range in the next 24 hours.

can you record with this system or hook it up to my laptop to record

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seal2127</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> can you record with this system or hook it up to my laptop to record </div></div>

Yes you can record. We supply a cord that plugs into the base unit and then plugs directly into the standard 3 color AV jacks on your camcorder. This can also be plugged into a laptop.

My buddy had one of these bad-boys out at Zia yesterday and I was impressed!

We were at just 760yds, but you easily could see .264 hits in colored paper from about 10 feet away. Meaning the remote camera was 10ft from the 760yd target.

uneducated idea: could you put a miniature sun-shade on the remote camera to prevent sun glare? I noticed that the angled New Mexico sun really challenges the color, tint and brightness of the monitor screen. Would a sun-shade on the remote camera help that or has that been tried out.

Overall impression--this is a VERY valuable piece of equipment. It is definitely on my "wish list."