• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Targets for longer range group shooting.

RRW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Alberta.,Canada
Looking for suggestions for paper targets for group shooting, gathering dope etc at ranges for 400m to 900 m. Right now just using bullseye and crosshair type tgts printed on 8.5-11 sheets of paper out to 300m. Any suggestions appreciated.

I use a pistol type silhouette paper target that I got at a gun show. These are not the black ones, but a white style with a gray colored center aiming point. Easier to see bullet holes. Also use a steel target nearby to get in range. Works for me.

Check out National Target.

They are an approved source for NRA targets. There stuff is printed on good heavy stock. Their bread. And butter is black on buff bulls eyes but they do offer different styles, something may interest you.

Right now just using bullseye and crosshair type tgts printed on 8.5-11 sheets of paper out to 300m. Any suggestions appreciated.

I print mine, too, using 110# Ivory paper. It's basically the stuff manila file folders are made of, in 8.5x11 size. I've got 5-bull and square grid target images I found online somewhere, which I've modified in Photoshop Elements to have gray instead of black filler in rings and squares - makes it easier to see holes at the longer distances. I've also used Photoshop to make a 1" grid overlay for some of my round bull targets, which helps a lot in figuring how much sight adjustment you really need.

I've found that my inkjet printers make better "prints" on this paper than the laser printer. But I use the laser to print the same targets on plain typing paper - I use these at the firing position to plot shots on the target when that's something I need to keep track of. Typing paper is a lot cheaper than the heavy ivory stuff the targets are printed on, and I print double sided for even more economy.

One other thing I've just started doing, thanks to the advice of some LR benchrest shooters I was talking to. If you're not absolutely sure of your zero, or even of your accuracy as the distances get longer, get a roll of freezer paper at a food store - it's white, comes in 150 foot rolls, and is usually near the aluminum foil. Tack a strip (I use multiple strips at 600 yards) on the backer board before you put up the target(s). Makes it much easier to find shots that aren't on the letter size target paper.

Last edited:
You might want to consider the NRA LR target if you have the wherewithal to make a frame for it which can support the target and its backer in strong winds. Without pit service you will also need remote video at target with feed to laptop to analyze error from shot to shot. This target will sync to a score book's facsimile of it, allowing for easy recognition for ammunition quality, and effects of wind, as well as visualization of trends. Scores also indicate progress and relativity.

Last edited:
I like the one from SH for OCW. It is a series of open center squares. Very easy to align cross hairs of scope.

It prints on 11x17 paper, so you need access to a printer that can do that. Kinkos is one possibility.

I'm partial to the Redfield Champion sight-in target.

de8t29.jpg

It's plain paper so the POIs aren't as easy to make out as on a splatter target, and they don't much cotton to rain, but they are cheap, about 25¢ at full mark-up but less than 12¢ each at Cheaper Than Dirt (sold by the hundred). They measure 16"x16" so there's less chance of losing your shot. The four smaller bulls-eyes are harder to make out at extended ranges, but if the bulls-eye gets so small as to be obscured by the dot in your scope, you can compensate by aligning the crosshairs across the two perpendicular bulls-eyes. Just make sure the target is square to the earth when you hang it and it's easy to shoot five separate groups on the same target.

OK---don't get all manly on me------I recall my wife getting (1 inch) grid paper from the Fabric Shop----they use it to mark patterns for duplicating clothing. Comes 52" wide, either from a roll or in pre-cut packs, where you get several pieces 52 x 52. You can always get some spray glue and stick it to whatever you're using as a backing.
Hey; it's just a thought. You could also get some of those LR targets from National----or Midway. I got some 300 yd NRA rifle / bullseye targets awhile back; 100 to a pack---they held up good, even in some stiff winds.
Good Luck.

I use an IPSC or IDPA cardboard and then either add a sticky dot or even tape a plain sheet of paper in the center for the longer ranges. That gives you a good hold point. You can get the target pasters to repair holes to reuse the backer. Another option is to freehand or use a cardboard template to paint your target on it, scotchguard spray helps if in light rain.

Here's another thought. Using NRA HP targets, permits syncing to a score book. The score book makes any shooting a more productive experience, as it helps the shooter evaluate performance, keep track of progress, and be aware of trends. Just shooting at sight-in targets to get a feel for the inherent accuracy of ammunition and rifle and/or to zero the rifle misses the opportunity to visualize and diagnose the most likely cause of shot misplacement, which is shooter error.

I do not like the Redfield Sight-In Target. I think it is a distraction to good shooting. It does not support the eye's natural ability to balance and center the reticle, it must be plumbed for best results, and it attracts the shooter's attention or focus from the reticle to the target. I see this sort of target as making it difficult to square the rifle and have muscular relaxation, and/or allow for the shooter to call the shot. In other words it invites shooter error and dissuades shooter/target analysis.

Last edited: