• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tasco 6-24x42 or rangefinder scope on an AR?

strider09

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
wichita KS.
What do you all think about a Tasco 6-24x42 scope or a bushnell/burris/nikon 4-12x42 laser rangefinder scope on a ar-15 (.223)? or an ar-10(.308)?

Re: Tasco 6-24x42 or rangefinder scope on an AR?

Depends on the AR. If it's a heavy target or varmint model probably okay, if not it's gonna be very unhandy, like a briefcase with a lead handle.

Look at the Bushnell and Nikons more. I have just got the Tasco you are talking about the glass get real dim at higher power.

I think the glass in the nikons will be the best of the four you mention.

What's the main use of the rifle going to be?

The main use...... anything I can with it.... target, coyotes, deer, prairy dogs.... I know many of you may have lots of scopes, but I have been overseas for a veeeerrry long time (12 years) and I am just now trying to get some guns so this will be my first scope, it will be swiched between the two rifles more than likly.
Has anyone every tried useing the rangefinder scopes on an ar? are they good?or should I just stick with a regular scope?

I do not have much money, but I want to be able to get some reach out of the scope so I am trying to get a scope that will work good for the money but will definatly hold zero because if it can`t than its the same as trash. Since I am now on a budget, I can`t be paying the extra for the name though.....
But I want something that if I want to reach out and touch 600 I can...

The Tasco I just got last week is on a 22lr so I can't say if recoil will cause it to shift POI. But I can say after about 14 power on the one I've got the glass get dim/foggy. Look at Midway.com they have some reviews from customers on there. If I had it to do over knowing what I know now with the Tasco. Expecally if it was going on a 308 I'd look at the Bushnell fixed 10 power. Or there a guy in the optics section with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X42mm for 450 shipped.

What price range are you talking about?

I would like to stay as low as I can but I can go up to about 6 if the optics justify it....
I was originally looking at bushnell scopes but then I heard bad things and the person recomended tasspo so i started looking there....
I don`t really want a fixed power, would rather have somthing ajustable so that I can set it low it I am hunting deer in missouri, or set it high if I am hunting prarie dogs in kansas. (family in both states)
I saw those laser rangefinder scopes that seem like they would have a good idea, but am not sure how well they would actually work...
do you think the reguar scopes are a better deal?

I have never seen anyone using a rangefinder scope. I have seen people use the handheld rangefinders but not the ones built into the scope. I think the best optics you can get the better off you'll be. There are a lot used in great shape optics out there just look around. I bought a 3-12X56mm Zeiss Conquset for 600 used thats 400 off new price. Check out some of the better hunting stores locally to see if they sell used optics. If your not able to find anything here. A old friend told me once if you can't see it you can't shoot it. Meaning he said he spend about 1.5-2x's the cost of the rifle on his glass. But for the cost of the Tasco you aren't out put 100 buck even with 2 day shipping from Midway.com which is where I order mine week before last.

yea, I saw the price of the tasco`s and that`s why I was thinkin about getting one, but yet since this will be my first scope I am not sure how well they work. But you said you don`t like yours right?
I definatly have a lot to learn about scopes, as I know close to nothing about what ones are good.
What about the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 ? it`s right at around 300.
or a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 ?
Sorry for all the questions but as I said, I really don`t know what is good.....
I really do appreciate all the advice and help.

The Nikon Buckmaster you listed is an excellent scope. I have several friends who bought them and they love it. I'v shot their rifles and it is a great value.

I like it ok for a 22lr but it will get replaced!! I think the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 is a much better scope than the Tasco. Nikon has good glass (clearity wise) for the money. The Bushnell scopes I would look at are 3200/4200/6500 elite scopes. If you are going to be turning on the knobs alot find something with target turrets. I have been looking really hard at getting a Bushnell 5-15X40 or 50 4200 Elite scope. The Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 has fairly good glass so I would think there higher end scopes would also. I have a friend that got one the Nikon you speak of it's a good scope for the money, may be what I end up with on the 22lr.

I would take a trip out and look at different scopes the store should let you walk outside and look thru them. You will see the difference in the quality of the cheaper ones verses the highend scopes. Look thru them at low power and high power good optics should be bright at both ends of powre range.

May want to go out to the local range that has a long range match and talk to the guys there they will let you look down there scope. They maybe even let you shoot a match or two with there rifles until you see what you want.

I am headed out from the office. I'll chack back in the morning I don't have an ISP at home. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask I'll help the best I can.

Why would you waste your hard earned dough on a Tasco? Spend the higher amount of money and at least get a SWFA Super Sniper, or a Falcon. IF you want to go big, eat lots of raman and use the money you save to buy a USO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strider09</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you all think about a Tasco 6-24x42 scope or a bushnell/burris/nikon 4-12x42 laser rangefinder scope on a ar-15 (.223)? or an ar-10(.308)?
</div></div>

Delete.

I didn`t want to go with a Super Sniper because it was a fixed scope, it`s not going to be just a target scope (although I will use it there too of course) and I may need the low end of the power while hunting depending on how close it is. I would be worried that the 10x would be to much to see anything at closer ranges.
By the way, what rings do you all recomend.

Do not buy a Tasco...save up another couple hundred and get a bushnell or nikon or something somewhat respectable, don't waste your money on that junk. It may take a while longer, but it will be worth it, believe me

The laser rangefinder scope seem a little like a gimmick to me. I would think that after the first few time ranging a target, the novelty wears off. If you're at the gun range, the distances are known and if you're out hunting, having to always shoulder the rifle to range something would get to be a pain.

The Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 is an excelent scope and a great value for the money. If you really want a laser rangefinder you can buy a handheld one with the remainder of the $600.

I have recommended that very same Buckmaster to many friends and they all love it, I think you will be very satisfied with it.

Thank you all for the input, I think I will be going with the Nikon. But I am currious, doesn`t Tasco make super sniper? Is the super sniper the only scope that they make that is any good?

I have used the VAR624X42M on .22LR, .223, .260, .308, and .30-'06 for going on 3 years. They work, period. Sure, the image brightness is not great on max mags, but for under $70 apiece, my four are well worth what I paid for them and quite likely a good bit more. If I get to dim light conditions, 6X is good enough for the distances I'd feel safe about target identification.

Greg,
Right on..........that ONE Tasco scope is a wonder.(most others are crap)..........
I have 2, one well used, and one NIB.

The one I have used, has been on many rifles, and even 300WM.
Still works fine, and has seen TONS of rounds thru it over the past 20yrs.

Actulally the price went DOWN on it.
My old one was over a $100.00 when I got it.

The new one, w/ a Mildot, was under $80.00.....
Perfect scope for 100-200yds, IMHo, for a budget minded shooter.