• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes tasco varmit/target

yeahkkyle

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
US
Did some research and didn't find much on this. I understand how to use a mil dot reticle to range targets and I've searched through all the FAQ's and other threads. My question is with the Tasco varmit/target scope. 6x24x42. When doing the mil dot ranging, what power should the scope be on? My friend has a Bushnell with mil dot, variable power scope and his #12 power is a different color then the rest of his numbers for powers. I would assume all ranging should be done on his #12 power, but I'm wondering about which power I should be on for using the Tasco because obviously a 6x mil height of a target would be less then 16x mil height for example. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: tasco varmit/target

I have a the same scope. I think it is marked at 10x but I'll have to look when I get home.

Heres some info to help with checking calibration. Varmint's Den Link

The manual that comes in the box with the scope dictates the power for ranging. I have a couple of the 2.5-10x's and they are supposed to subtend properly at 10x. In reality it's not quite perfect so I have a mark on them for proper ranging.

Bohem thanks for the information. I looked on the manual and based on my scope product number(VAR62442) its 8x. for the 2.5-10x is 10x and there was also another listed. thanks again.

You might want to double check if the magnification settings are 100% correct in reality.

You can do this by working backwards with the mil dot ranging equation. Put your target out to a KNOWN distance that will allow the size of your target to contact the mil dots perfectly centre so you know thats exactly 1 mil dot apart... set your scope to its supposed 10x power and then range according to 1 mil dot, and the EXACT known size of the target... if your range calculation comes out to the exact distance you have placed the target then your good to go..

IF NOT... then your 10x isnt really set to 10x, and it may be either forward or behind the hash mark on the scope body. Does that make sense?

OK, remembered to check mine tonite. I marked mine at 8x.