• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Taurus 1911 ??

79M1a-texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Denton County, Texas
Shot my brand new Taurus SS1911 for the first time yesterday using Sellier & Bellot Pistol ammo 230 FMJ. Out of over 100 shot rounds, I got a non-fire off of every 8-round magazine. One mag had 5 out of 8 non-fires. I ejected each round and single loaded them and they fired. Does this sound like a problem with the: magazine spring; ammo; spring on the firing pin; or just normal break in for a new 1911?; or something else?

Re: Taurus 1911 ??

What exactly is your definition of a non-fire?

Were the primers hit and didn't go off? If so, this means bad ammo.

Was the trigger pulling fully and the pin moving forward - but not hitting the primer? If so, this means bad gun.

Were the rounds chambering fully & the slide moving into full battery? If not, could be bad mag or bad gun.

We shall need specifics.

Feuer Frei -
<span style="color: #000099">First things first – I may be using the wrong terms – this is my first handgun.</span>

“What exactly is your definition of a non-fire?” <span style="color: #000099">Loaded magazine insert, slide forward with round in chamber, pull the trigger – no bang.</span>
“Were the primers hit and didn't go off? If so, this means bad ammo.” <span style="color: #000099">Didn’t appear the primers were hit.</span>

“Was the trigger pulling fully and the pin moving forward - but not hitting the primer? If so, this means bad gun.” <span style="color: #000099">After I ejected the non-fired ammo, reinsert the round into the chamber and it shoot.</span>

“Were the rounds chambering fully & the slide moving into full battery? If not, could be bad mag or bad gun.” <span style="color: #000099">Yes. Could it be that the firing pin spring need to get broken in??</span>

When you pulled the trigger, did you hear the usual 'click' of the mechanism inside doing what it's supposed to do?

If you're pulling the trigger and the gun is not hitting the primer, something is wrong with the internals of the gun. If you're not knowledgeable enough to take it apart yourself and inspect it, I would send it to Taurus for repair.

Firing pin springs shouldn't need 'breaking in'. A gun should go bang from the first time you pull the trigger. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.

If the rounds are being fed properly into the chamber, then your magazine's not the problem, it's more likely the fire control mechanism.

If you plan on keeping this pistol (your choice), I'd send it in to Taurus or a local gunsmith for repairs. Otherwise, refund it and go buy something else. Taurus makes some excellent revolvers, but their semi-autos are kind of hit and miss, especially the finnicky 1911.

Did you take the pistol apart before you shot it?

It sounds like the series 80 components (basically a firing pin block) aren't working correctly and not allowing the firing pin to strike the primer.

I had this happen on my Taurus 1911 when I put the series 80 plunger in upside down and screwed up the spring.

The easiest way to fix it is to simply order the spacer from brownells for about 4 bucks and get rid of the series 80 BS anyhow.

Itll help lighten the trigger pull a couple ounces as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 79M1a-texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feuer Frei -
<span style="color: #000099">First things first – I may be using the wrong terms – this is my first handgun.</span>

“What exactly is your definition of a non-fire?” <span style="color: #000099">Loaded magazine insert, slide forward with round in chamber, pull the trigger – no bang.</span>
“Were the primers hit and didn't go off? If so, this means bad ammo.” <span style="color: #000099">Didn’t appear the primers were hit.</span>

“Was the trigger pulling fully and the pin moving forward - but not hitting the primer? If so, this means bad gun.” <span style="color: #000099">After I ejected the non-fired ammo, reinsert the round into the chamber and it shoot.</span>

“Were the rounds chambering fully & the slide moving into full battery? If not, could be bad mag or bad gun.” <span style="color: #000099">Yes. Could it be that the firing pin spring need to get broken in??</span> </div></div>

Am I reading correctly? You inserted rounds into the chamber of a gun with an external extractor one at a time and dropped the slide on them?

You're lucky your extractor still has a hook on it.

Since this is your first gun I will think about the obvious first...did you clean the gun thoroughly before going to the range? If you didn't, take some spray solvent like Gunscrubber or Breakfree and hose it out really well especially around the firing pin, as the factory grease job can cause light primer strikes. Secondly, Taurus mags are shoddy at best...get some Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick powermags and see if it helps your problem. If none of these suggestions solve your problem, have a competent smith take a look at the gun before you enter the dirty world of Taurus customer service.