• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Taurus 1911

Ogallala_1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2008
Ogallala ne,
Just aquired a 1911 taurus I would like add a mag well and trick this baby out. The problem is I have no idea what I am doing. What can I use for parts dont see after market taurus parts at brownells. Would also like a nice ccw holster. Any help would be great.

Thanks john

Re: Taurus 1911

Also really want to know how well this pistol would work with a supressor. And any experience with any Nebraska class three dealers you would recomend.

Thanks John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ogallala_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just aquired a 1911 taurus I would like add a mag well and trick this baby out. The problem is I have no idea what I am doing. What can I use for parts dont see after market taurus parts at brownells. Would also like a nice ccw holster. Any help would be great.

Thanks john </div></div>

Howdy!Your pistol will accept any 1911 parts that are available.The Taurus 1911 is what is called a Series 80 1911,as it has a firing pin safety activated by the trigger.This means that the firing pin is blocked from movement until you actually press the trigger.I worked over a friends Taurus 1911 recently and here are a few tips.If you want to replace the hammer with one that does not have the lock,you need to replace the sear,disconnecter and hammer togather.I had good results with Wilson Combat,just try to stick with the same manufacturer.If you do not know how to properly install these parts,take it to a COMPETENT gunsmith.You will quickly find there are lots of 1911 parts that are not "drop in",fire control parts are one.Replace the the ridiculous ambi thumb safety with a quality single side unit,the factory part usually breaks fast.Most magwells will work,the best ones for DIY install replace the mainspring housing as well
.The Smith and Alexander unit works well and I have used the Fusion units with good results.In general and especially with suppressor use,replace the barrel bushing with a thick unit.Typically the Taurus slide is enough oversized that even an oversized bushing will turn in by hand.I used a Fusion thick stainless match bushing in my personal 1911 with excellent results.On my buddy's I used the blue version and it turned in easily by hand.The only way to improve this is to have a gunsmith install an oversize bushing that requires some machining to fit.One upgrade I do on any 1911 I work on is the EGW oversize firing pin stop.This unit has to be fitted to your slide and should be a light tap fit.It comes with no radius on the bottom where it contacts the hammer,filing this to a slight .050-.072 radius works very well.All grips will work that fit full size 1911s,I love my Alumagrips personally.For suppressor use you will need a extended and threaded barrel,don't skimp on this.Get a Kart EZfit and do it your self or try Stormlake,Bar-Sto etc.Some of these barrels can be had in sorta drop-in versions,but for best accuracy and results get it fitted by a COMPETENT gunsmith.The last thing I did was deburr the crap out of it before Parkerizing.Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ogallala_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help. What did you debur? </div></div>

Presumably all the sharp edges. Probably as follows (this is a guess but what I've done personally on Colt's that I have owned)

Lower slide edges
Rear of the slide (sides, top, and bottom corners)
Dust cover edge
Barrel bushing
Hammer
Front end of the slide

And anything else that looks like you might remotely cut yourself on. Then go take a couple shooting classes where the round count is 500 or greater and involves some stress shooting. You will likely figure out what you missed when you fillet yourself on it. Then address those edges to.

Again, I did this on a couple of Colt's I've owned, but it's the same basic pattern of gun.

Has any one done much with the .400 corbon or 10mm barrel for this gun? Im a huge 10mm fan and the .400 looks pretty enticing let me know what you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ogallala_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has any one done much with the .400 corbon or 10mm barrel for this gun? Im a huge 10mm fan and the .400 looks pretty enticing let me know what you think.

</div></div>

I've got ammo and a barrel but my friend refuses to let me shoot with him with it. According to him, it's gawdawful loud. lol

I'd say if you wanted 10mm, but a gun already chambered for it. Having a 1911 function reliably with both parts is unlikely. I can't recall ever actually seeing one that worked with both barrels (i.e. 9mm and 9x23 and things like that). Usually they work with one and not the other. Personally, I'm done with interchangeable anything. I'm too freakin lazy to want to change crap back and forth