• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Taurus 24 7 OSS .45?

gunslotreaper308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
AZ
I'm skeptical about Taurus because of some of the reviews that I'm reading online. I realize they offer a lifetime warranty, but have read horror stories about some people's dealings with their customer service and the sloppy quick fix jobs they've done. One the other side, there seems to be some happy Taurus owners. Do any of you guys own or have experience with an OSS 45? I know there are better options, but I can get an NIB OSS 45 for $300 out the door. I am planning on giving it to a family member. It will most likely be a night stand and range gun but it needs to be reliable. I was planning on giving him one of my old 2nd gen G22's, 23's or a P229, but if the Taurus is reliable, I would rather just buy it for him and keep all of mine. Any input is appreciated. BTW, you won't hurt my feelings if it's a P.O.S.

Re: Taurus 24 7 OSS .45?

For a light duty gun I think a Taurus would work just fine. I've had to use their customer service to order replacement parts (free of charge) and didn't have any problems at all.

+1

I had a front row seat for one of their horror stories & trust me... it was scary as hell!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't pay me to take a Taurus. I've watched some of the horror stories unfold. </div></div>

I've owned several of their revolvers and liked them...with exception of a 605 that locked up after firing some full power .357 (what its chambered for) rounds. The model 92 copies also seem to be doing well. If it's a night stand gun...I would have to lean on the Glock, then Sig, then Taurus. For $300...I'd run it hard, see how it pans out, and be rid of it if it doesn't. That particluar model was T&E'ed quite a bit because it competed in the military handgun requirement request.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The model 92 copies also seem to be doing well. If it's a night stand gun...I would have to lean on the Glock, then Sig, then Taurus. </div></div>

Oddly enough, they're such a close clone of the Beretta they even have the same failure when subjected to lots of shooting.....locking blocks.

Thanks for the replys. It seems that even some of the more positive reviews have had some sort of interaction with their customer service. After many thousands of rounds, I've never had to deal with CS from glock, springer, S&W or sig... it makes you wonder about these "lifetime warranty" companies, as my goal would be to never need a warranty. As of now it looks like I may have to part with one of my old pistols that I trust, unless I can find something else used or fairly cheap. I was hoping to give him a .45 and there's no way in hell he's getting my 1911. Anyway, thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Out of curiosity, what are the problems you guys have encountered with your pistols to make you send them back in?

The ONLY problem I had with my model 605 .357 snub was that the cylinder locked up and timeing fell apart. NONE of the other Taurus revolvers I owned, including another .357 and .44 in the Tracker series...ever had this problem and both saw many, many rounds. I took it back to the store I bought it from and due to the relationship with the owner...he refunded my money. I've never had to deal with Taurus CS. I also owned a 92 copy many years ago when I couldn't afford a "real" Beretta. Never had a hiccup from it. Only sold it because if was a high polish chrome gun and the "pimpness" of it crept in for me.

Have you looked at the Citidel or ATI .45 1911 copies? They are in the sub $400 range on some models and are getting great reviews.

I had a Millenium Pro PT145 (.45 ACP) That thing was pure & utter dung!

It had so many problems... where to begin.

It constantly jammed. 2 or 3 rounds (if that many) & then a FTF, not to mention when it DID fire you couldn't hit squat. It was the most inaccurate piece of crap I've ever seen.

I would pull the slide back & lock it with the slide stop lever, then release the slide stop to chamber a round & the cartridge would nose dive & lock the slide open.

I would rack the slide & release it & the trigger would automatically go back into the double action setting.

Finally the safety fell off!

I just felt like it was totally unsafe so I just cut it up with an oxygen/acetylene torch & threw it in the trash.

I'll never own another Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replys. It seems that even some of the more positive reviews have had some sort of interaction with their customer service. After many thousands of rounds, I've never had to deal with CS from glock, springer, S&W or sig... it makes you wonder these "lifetime warranty" companies, as my goal would be to never need a warranty. As of now it looks like I may have to part with one of my old pistols that I trust, unless I can find something else used or fairly cheap. I was hoping to give him a .45 and there's no way in hell he's getting my 1911. Anyway, thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Out of curiosity, what are the problems you guys have encountered with your pistols to make you send them back in?
</div></div>

I sold all my Taurus pistols before they took a shit on me. $300 for the 24/7 OSS sounds ok. I don't think I would trust it on my nightsstand, but for practice it is a pretty good pistol. I had one in 9mm flavor that I never had a problem with.