• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taurus pistols, FP and HP bullets

michaeltx

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2009
dfw area, TX
I don't have a Taurus pistol myself, but several of my friends do. They all happen to be 9mm. I think one is a 24/7 model, and the others are millennium models. They look to me to have very steep feed ramps. They seem to really hate anything other than FMJRN bullets. Anyone else experience this, or know of a HP that will work? FP and HP seem to FTF every second or third shot. A component bullet or factory ammo suggestion, either would be great.

Sorry if this it OT'ish.

Re: Taurus pistols, FP and HP bullets

Don't know if it will help I have a 45 Millennium. I works fine with my Horaday Xtp's

I have the .45 Millenium as well and have had no problems with any ammo types thus far, including several different handloads of my manufacture.

My Millenium hasn't has any problems yet with any factory ammo. Even the home defense rounds feed fine.

Taurus has been one of the most problem pistols (revolver or semi auto) I've owned or others have owned. I bought a 357 Mag revolver, and it's my last Taurus. I won't buy them. When I need it to go bang (reliably), I'll shoot something else- my Glock!

The forcing cone had something wrong with it. It was fine with 38 spec loads. But when you shot full power 357 mag rounds, it would throw shrapnel back at you. I had a piece of jacket material strick my ear lobe, and bleed like a stuck pig. I stopped shooting it then, and sent it back. My brothers Taurus (PT154) went with mine for repair. His was the 3rd time to be sent back. After these issues and problems, I won't buy another Taurus.

I won't buy any more either, though their 1911 looks tempting at times! Then again, an additional $50 to $150 gets you into other makers without the horror stories, i.e., Springfield, Rock Island, Smith and Wesson, etc.

A life time warranty is all good and fine, but given the frequency of tales of woe and the nature of the item in discussion, a firearm, QC issues are potentially a little more consequential and worrisome than those of a can opener or cell phone.

I've had three Tauri, and only had trouble with the 45 auto I think I was limp wristing it, and it jammed a lot. Sold it, and the new owner had no problem. The other two were revolvers, and I found them to be excellent. The 357 mag went through approx 3000 rounds before developing wear problems. I'd buy a Taurus revolver again.

I've seen the same issues with a lot of Kahr pistols.

Two things that I've seen done.

1) work over the feed ramp with a buffing wheel and try to clean it up

2) A HP that seems to work in 4010mm and 45 for me is the Hornady XTP, in 9mm the 90 and 124 XTP's are very cone-like, I don't know if they'd be round enough to run through the steep ramps well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen the same issues with a lot of Kahr pistols.</div></div>
Yes, my first Kahr (PM40) was bad! Every other shot would fail to feed. I sent it back, and they sent a new one, and it hasn't missed a beat. It does get smoother the more you shoot it. I added the Pearce finger extension on my magazine, and started having problems with that mag. I need to take it off. The other 2 mags function flawless in it. I've taken several advanced carry classes with it and have about 1500 rounds down it. I carry mine 24/7 and it is my American Express card- don't leave home without it!