• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Taurus PT101

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
Anyone had experience with this Beretta 92 wannabe? I saw it on the shelf at Academy and held both it and the Beretta and they seem pretty similar with a few differences. I know there may be no real comparison on the field as the 92 is listed as one of the greatest field pistols of all time, but he PT101 was half the price, had a 16 round mag (Beretta's is 15), plus your get Taurus' lifetime warranty on it.

Re: Taurus PT101

very good guns from my buddy who had two. Supposedly very reliable, i have shot em a few times and they are nice.They're cheap enough to buy on a whim, and if you don't like it, sell it for around what ya paid.

I used to have the Pt-92, which I believe is what the 101 is based off of, and I loved it, shot well and shot everything I put through it. Never any problems.

Only Taurus 92 copy I shot was chambered in .380 and had some firing pin issues, wouldn't go bang every time. (This was an early model, I presume the issue was addressed in later models)

Every Taurus pistol I have fired to date has had a problem with it. The last 2 (millenium pros, one in .40s&w and one in .45acp) wouldn't even return to battery, their recoil spring sucked that bad.

Given this track record, I would look elsewhere for a pistol. What are you really saving, when you end up having to sell the pistol at a loss in less than 10 months when u find out it is not reliable and nobody will give you a decent price for a used one?

All that said, I'll go off on the 'Judge' next as this is one of Taurus's more popular pistols. Its a .410, its a .45 colt, but it takes a compromise from both rounds to make it work. Sure you have a cylinder thats long enough for a .410 shell, but with a rifled barrel your shot dispersement is going to be pretty bad. Inside of 3 yards it should group fine though. So, lets shoot .45 colt instead. The frame and topstrap are made from a Ti alloy(not positive on that) but from what I understand its not the ideal metal to be building guns from. This being the case you can't really load any hot .45 colt through the gun. So you end up with a revolver that can't hold a good pattern or push any considerable power.

All that aside I <span style="font-style: italic">heard</span> good things about their 1911's, but I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Excellent pistol, though I don't care for the caliber or the design. The pistols based on the original Beretta (PT92/99/100/101, etc.) are military and commercial successes worldwide. The PT58, the .380acp version, is also a decent pistol, but I can't speak for the newer, polymer models. I have personally shot, fieldstripped, and cleaned models 58/92/101 as well as a few of their revolvers, and would buy one of their 92/99 pistols before buying a Beretta.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All that aside I <span style="font-style: italic">heard</span> good things about their 1911's, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. </div></div>

Their 1911s are junk, too.

Personally, I think with Taurus, you really get what you pay for. Their products are substandard compared to the other stuff on the market, but the price also reflects that.

I'd consider buying a Taurus if I wasn't going to use that pistol for any serious social purpose or any sort of competition. Which for me means I probably wouldn't buy it because nothing besides antiques rest in my safe unless they are capable of being carried or being used for competition, or preferably both.

The only Taurus pistol I will think to own now is a revolver. Way to many issues from the millennium and other pistols for me. I would spend a litle more and get something reliable. That is my experience.

I've shot Les, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson, Kimber, Springfield.... and the Taurus. For the money it is a great pistol. I have punished it and it continues to function without a flaw. It is about as accurate as any 1911 under $800. You get what you pay for but the PT1911 is not junk. However, if you are doing more than target shooting I'd think twice.