• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tavor or, Steyr Aug

Tavor or, Steyr Aug

• Tavor

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Steyr Aug

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

I want to purchase my first bullpup rifle. My local FFL has both the Tavor & Steyr Aug w/Nato Stock available. However, I need help deciding which one to purchase as, I've never fired either one. Also, both the Tavor & Steyr Aug w/the Nato Stock will accept USGI & Magpul mags - so, I've got this covered. My main requirements/desires are as follows:

1) Dependability
2) Robustness/Ruggedness
3) Accuracy
4) Best trigger (I know both will suck, but, of the 2 - which is better)
5) Greatest bang for the buck

Thanks in advance!

AvsFan:cool::confused:

p.s. I know these rifles are ugly as sin:eek::rolleyes::eek:...but, that's why I want one + they're definitely different, very compact and unique.

Tavor, rumor has it Giessele is making a triger group for them. Also, don't know if it matters to you, but Tavors are more able to be truly ambidectrous. Steyr chucks brass in your cheek, tavor tosses it just in front of you

Buy both used and sell the one that came in 2cnd place.

I did a comparison between 4 different 223 semiauto's a few years ago. I owned a AR-15 shorty already and bought/traded a MSAR, Sig 556 patrol carbine and a Robinson Arms XCR. It was one of the more memorable times in my life shooting and comparing them then deciding what I liked and disliked about each one. In the end I kept my AR-15 because it was 2-3 times more accurate than the others, LOL. The MSAR was 2ncd though.

I have a MSAR E-4 and a TAVOR.

1.) Trigger: MSAR wins hands down. The TAVOR has an extra reset spring which makes the trigger extremely heavy and spongey, approaching something like 10lbs.
2.) Disassembly: MSAR again. The AUG series only requires the push and twist and voila, the barrel pops off. You pretty much have to have specialized tools and fully pull apart the TAVOR to remove the barrel.
3.) Ergonomics: TAVOR wins this one. It's more ambidextrous, has a traditional AR type selector, and magazine changes can be accomplished with the firing hand to bump the mag release.
4.) Gas System: MSAR has adjustable gas. Tavor does not.

So...in the end, I'd say AUG. Despite the buzz around the TAVOR, it's really missing a lot of features which I think, should be incorporated in to a 21st century design, that--surprisingly--the AUG already has (adjustable gas, VFG, easily removable barrel).

There is something about the feel and handling of the AUG that has yet to be matched by any other bullpup design out there.

I have yet to break a trigger on the TAVOR-way too heavy for me. Having been spoiled by good triggers, I have gained a certain ability to feel trigger quality and analyze it starting with very minimal pull. If a trigger is too heavy, I won't even go through the 4-6 grit stages I feel coming, and will just write the trigger off as too heavy.

The DTA SRS has an amazing trigger for a bullpup, but it is striker-fired of course.

While I have never actually seen a Tavor first hand to actually finger the trigger, I do have a Steyr USR and it is nice. I have read the Tavor's do have a heavier trigger than the AUG. The AUG has been around a lot longer and is more sleek looking and the Tavor is more chunky, IMHO. I do like the quick change barrel feature of the AUG and it is easier to disassemble than the Tavor.

I bought a Steyr AUG earlier this year. I had the same choice... I got to try a Tavor first, though.. And, I did not like it as much as the AUG. I didn't care much for they "6points of contact" stance that is popular for the Tavor. Bought the AUG instead.

However, I ended up selling the AUG recently and getting a SCAR 16. I do not regret it. I shoot the SCAR better than I did with the AUG. and, I am very familiar with bullpups. I have a PS90 and previously owned a MSAR AUG.

So, I think the Steyr is better between the two. But, like the SCAR better than both of the listed choices...

Aug and insert a Trigger Tamer...

And the RatWorx metal sear mod thingy (RAT WORX USA). I've got both pieces installed in an AUG A3. I'd almost call the trigger crisp at 6.5#. The RatWorx forward rail's nice too if you're wanting to use your own vertical grip/underbarrel light.

One thing though, the Tavor is threaded 1/2 X 28 while the AUG is some BS metric thread. I had to send my AUG barrel off to Adco to get rethreaded to 1/2 x 28.

The Tavor's trigger is so bad, that if it weren't for the pistol grip guard, it wouldn't need a mechanical safety.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Well, I went to my FFL this weekend - shouldered & dry fired both. Ergonomically, they both felt good - but, the trigger on the Steyr is a lot better than the Tavor. However, the Tavor is available in both a 16.5" & 18" 5.56mm 1/7 twist barrels...(I have a lot of 5.56mm, 75gr & 77gr ammo). Since the Steyr has 16" .223 1/9 twist barrel I'm not sure if this would be the better choice right now (based on my ammo inventory)? I'm still thinking about both as, even though the Tavor trigger is horrible - with Geissele is coming out with one, I'm still considering it. Finally, the Tavor in either the 16.5" or, 18" barrel is $200.00 cheaper that the Steyr...decisions, decisions:confused:

You can still find a few factory AUG A3 rifles with the factory 1/7 twist barrel. Or just order a replacement factory barrel in 1/7 twist. Those are still available too.
I know, I ordered one last week and am going to pick it up from my dealer this weekend.

Also recommend adding a Neu-Trigger to the AUG as its about $30 and makes the factory trigger that much nicer.

Tavor, By far is a better buy.

First off, the Tavor is a new weapon system. It's been around what? maybe 5 years opperationaly and less than 6 months here in the US. The AUG has been around for 40 years, and is an inferior design. Yes there are more options, its been around 40 fucking years. A tavor trigger pack will be out within a year that will elimate the only advantage the AUG has over the Tavor. You don't need a special stock to run USGI mags. Yes the AUG mags are very good, but who wants to have to buy and stock another mag for each 5.56 rifle they buy? Dissaemhbly of the Tavor is stupid simple, and who the hell needs to QD the barrel? Its a Carbine not a crew serve. It is still easier than an AR.

Shooting them side by side, the tavor hands down. Yea the trigger sucks but its a carbine not a LR rifle. Its pefectly servicble for CQB and normal shooting distances. The trigger pack should fix this. The Aug is a fine weapon , don't get me wrong, the Tavor is just better designed and more modern. You also don't have to spend a shit load of money to get the correct barrel on it (1/7) and it comes with some niffy BUIS. I have yet to get my tavor to malfunction, no matter what ammo I feed it.

Pete Athens is about the ONLY reason the AUG has survivied as it has, with its current support. Give it time, and the Tavor will be there.

Comparing this to a SCAR16 is just silly. Might as well compare it to a SR-15 or any other top end AR's. Would I take my Tavor over my SR-15? Hell NO..... would I feel undergunned or outmatched if all I had was my tavor and a decent optic? Not in the least.

Tavor, By far is a better buy.

First off, the Tavor is a new weapon system. It's been around what? maybe 5 years opperationaly and less than 6 months here in the US. The AUG has been around for 40 years, and is an inferior design...

So the AUG is not as good as the Tavor because the AUG has been around (operationally) 35 years longer than the Tavor. What???

I have both the Tavor and the Steyr Aug A-3 ,the Aug has the Ratworx 2020 sear thing in it and I removed the extra spring from the Tavor . Both triggers are fine for a combat rifle. You can flip a coin ,both have their pros and cons. You can't pick a clear over all winner . IMHO they are both over priced for what you get . $1500.00 should be the price ,but what the f*ck do I know. For the price of the Steyr it should come with sights . If I had to sell one I would flip a coin and call it good . Neither would make me sell my M4's. I do however think that both the Steyr and the Tavor would be more dependable in very extreme conditions then the M4 ( freezeing rain,sand storm,ect) . Train with either the Steyr or the Tavor ,put an optic you like on and your going to be happy with the performance of either.

So the AUG is not as good as the Tavor because the AUG has been around (operationally) 35 years longer than the Tavor. What???

The VERY slight advantages in a few small areas the AUG has will quickly be surpased by the Tavor.

And forgive me, its 50, not 40 years..............

50 years and Styer has not come up with anything revolutionary.... Oh they added a rail.

Don't get me wrong, the AUG is one of my fav all time carbines. The Tavor is just better.

I have always wanted an AUG.... but bought a Tavor. I call it the Bulldog. The trigger does suck, but if you shoot it like a revolver then it's not a problem. I just did a Front Sight Course with it. I hammered it and it worked flawlessly. I loved it. The only bummer is this:
Very hard to hold off hand for anything past 50 yards. .. not enough balance to make accurate shots off hand. On a bench I get a MOA all day long out of it.
Also if you are mounting optics like I did...an ACOG the center linen of the bore to the center line of the ACOG is about 6-7 inches. .. keep that in mind.

Can't comment on the AUG, a guy there had one and put it away after a few hours... As for my Bulldog. I love it! If there is a trigger kit coming out then it makes it even sweeter.

Picked it up today from my dealer.
Really like the OD color compared to the black. Now the wife was thinking that she didn't like the OD from various pics that she has seen and had decided that she wanted a black AUG. Talked her into the OD as it similar to her OD PS90.

Now that she has looked it over she likes the OD. So the next one we get will be a black one just to make it easier to tell them apart.

And a big shout out to Pete at PJA Investments. Ordered this from him and got a very nice rifle indeed. Also seems that its a nice low serial number 6USA00X. Went ahead with the PJA package for the extra mag, case, cleaning kit, sling and the muzzle cap. Also ordered one of his rear sling pins with the Vltor QD. Will be putting a padded VCAS on this as its the wife's prefered sling.

Have stripped it down and cleaned it. Added my TA33 scope. Am waiting on a mount for my Aimpoint Comp ML.