• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tax-Man Build, $2,500.

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
So I got a refund, larger than I had anticipated, and I am putting $2,500 of it towards a new build. This will be my first long range precision build. I have everyday access to 100m ranges, monthly access to 500m, and every other month I can make the drive to 1,000yard ranges. Here are the four options I am looking at:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<span style="font-weight: bold">1) Remington 700P</span> in .308 ($900) + Vortex PST 6-24 FFP mil/mil ($900) + Rings/Base (~$250) + stock (~$500) = $2550.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<span style="font-weight: bold">2) Savage LRP</span> (.260, or 6.5Creedmoor) ($1,000) + Vortex Viper HS 5-15 ($500) + Rings/Base (~$250) + Reload setup (~$750 for kit and parts) = $2,500

<span style="font-weight: bold">2.5) Savage LRP</span> (.260, or 6.5Creedmoor) ($1,000) + G2DMR ($1100) + Rings/Base (~$250) = $2,350

<span style="font-weight: bold">3) Remington 700</span> SPS Heavy Barrel ($650) + Stock ($500) + G2DMR ($1100) + Rings/Base (~$250) = $2,500

<span style="font-weight: bold">4) FN SPR</span> A2/A4 Bedded ($1600) + Vortex Viper HS 5-15 ($500) + Rings/Base (~$125) = $2,225

<span style="font-weight: bold">5) ??</span> Buy used? Something not on here? Save money and go for a custom build in year?

I am leaning towards #2 or #3, because I already own a Savage, and the aftermarket stocks available for them is increasing. I will also be able to do a lot of smithing myself, which I am into, like replacing the bolt knob, barrel, etc. It would also give me ~750 for a reload setup and parts, which could be huge. Or I could ignore that, and put a G2DMR on it instead of the Viper HS...

There really are too many options. I love it, and I hate it. As a settle on a caliber or brand, something else catches my eye. I know the R700 / Savage / FN debate is a dead horse, and people have their brands they like, but assuming you had no brand label on any of these, which is going to be the setup you would go for and why?

I am especially interested to hear from people that have parts of these setups. Any buyers remorse, or do you love the item?

Quick rundown on my thought process on these: The 700P in .308 is something I have been lusting after for years, but I don't like the standard stock it comes with. I would get it threaded and slap a brake on there. But with wanting to eventually add a DBM, a top tier stock, etc it is going to reach the price of a custom build.

The Savage LRP is alluring because I can do a lot of work on it myself, saving me money, but more importantly time. Yes it is in .260 or 6.5CM, and all the others are in .308, so it will be more expensive to shoot. I am not crazy about the stock, but I would rather spend the money on a higher tier scope or a reload setup with the price and availability of .260/6.5 lacking compared to .308.

The R700 SPS Heavy Barrel is the same barrel and action as the 700P, and since I want to ditch the stock on the 700P anyway, it just makes more sense to save $250 with the SPS. But I would have to immediately buy a stock (something used off Snipershide) to replace the tupperware crap stock it comes with. But with the savings I could get the G2DMR.

The FN SPR has little aftermarket compared to the 700 or even the LRP. BUT it comes with a stock I love, and already bedded. I could just slap a scope on there and be done with it. However, with the gun being ~600 more than all the others, it limits my scope budget. I suppose I could slap the Weaver 3-10x Tactical Grand Slam I have on my .22lr trainer on it and save for a bit more.

Alternatively, there are always used builds that pop up on calguns.net or Snipershide I could try and snag at a decent price. I have seen mid tier builds for ~1500 and mid tier customs for ~2k. Another option is just to save for a year and buy a Spartan Precision build.

Re: Tax-Man Build, $2,500.

I went with a used rem 700 sps varmint .308
Mcree Precision folder with a 5 and 10 round mag
Vortex 5-15x44 hs mildot ( midway special )
Vortex Bubble level
Black hawk rings and base
timney 510 trigger

Im in it right around 2k and it shoots better than I can for sure. with hand loads it shoots VERY good!

Spend the extra on reloading stuff or ammo

Before paint

1217121823-1.jpg

After Paint

1221121908a.jpg

What do you think about the Vortex HS? That is an amazing build, I think I would be incredibly happy with it.

What distances do you shoot at? Any range reports? Love that stock!

I vote #2.5. You like Savages and the LRP will likely hammer. If not rebarrel and go. Just got the HDMR myself and love it as well.

Mike

Buy used.

Trouble is $2500 gets you a great rifle OR a great scope, but not both.

My advice is buy a great scope, and put it on the savage rifle you have already.

Better to have 1 good rifle system than multiple half assed systems.

To many choices!

IMHO there's no issue with buying used gear as long as it appears to be in good shape and the buyer allows a inspection period, a lot of sellers on the hide will honor this. I would personally buy a FN they come with a 20 MOA NEAR rail and can be found here used from time to time. I think for you to achieve the best bang for the buck. Just be patient and search the for sale section for deals on what you're looking for, in the end you'll stretch your limit farther.. But that's just me.

I have been very happy with the scope, only thing that would make it better is free.

I have shot it out to 935 yards on a 8x8 steel and this was befor all the work
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEx8zvY3VMo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEx8zvY3VMo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

500 yard group
1104121520a.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLU9-CMh-n8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLU9-CMh-n8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n2d9KsVGrx8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n2d9KsVGrx8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My advice is buy a great scope, and put it on the savage rifle you have already.
</div></div>

That Savage is a .22lr.

If you are interested in a 700 AAC-SD with 20 rounds through it, shoot me a pm. It has a badger bolt knob by Mark at SAC and a RAD brake on it. Only reason I am selling is because I snagged one of the 16.5 inch AAC-SDs so now I have to start over . LOL

I am really digging that Mcree 700. I am 90% sure I will be working towards that now. I think I will get the Vortex 5-15 HS to top it, and in a year I can upgrade to the G2DMR, drop my HS onto the .22lr trainer, and my Weaver will get tossed on a build for my brothers.

FN SPR A2/A4. Best out of box accuracy you can find and comes in a McMillan stock. Also some vendor on the hide was selling them for around $1495 or something in the commercial section. Take that savings if you still can and then buy a slightly used G2DMR 3.5-21 or a SWFA SS 5-20.

I've narrowed it to the 700 (20" or 26" heavy barrel) in the Mcree with one of the Vortex scopes OR the FN SPR A2/A4. I have some time to really decide (2-3 weeks before ordering, about), so I am still interested in hearing everyone's experiences.

And now I just found a 700P 300 winmag with 20 rounds shot, in an AICS for $1375 I may just have to jump on.

The confusion continues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've narrowed it to the 700 (20" or 26" heavy barrel) in the Mcree with one of the Vortex scopes OR the FN SPR A2/A4. I have some time to really decide (2-3 weeks before ordering, about), so I am still interested in hearing everyone's experiences.

And now I just found a 700P 300 winmag with 20 rounds shot, in an AICS for $1375 I may just have to jump on.

The confusion continues. </div></div>

Interesting.

If it were me, I'd have a hard time choosing between the LRP in 6.5mm (either CM or 260) and the FN.

While the LRP is a fine rifle, the FN is a way, way better foundation. But, the savage is cheaper and easier to work on.

Forget the 300wm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before paint

1217121823-1.jpg

After Paint

1221121908a.jpg
</div></div>

this exact rifle and this guys og thread on this build is what is making me get a mcrees folder. im slowly saving up but its coming a long. read nothing but good things about their stocks and at great prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forget the 300wm.</div></div>

I wasn't considering it until I saw this rifle, but could you specify why to skip this caliber?

I also they make the Mcree for the Savage... So I could go that route.

Rem Action with Trigger - 450
Match Grade Barrel - 350
McCree - 600
Gunsmith - 350 to 450 (action trued and barrel fit)

Viper PST 6-24 - 750
Base and Rings - 200

Total 2700ish

It will be a hammer and many good gunsmiths out there to do the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forget the 300wm.</div></div>

I wasn't considering it until I saw this rifle, but could you specify why to skip this caliber? </div></div>

Because you can have a 260 or 6.5CM that will run right with it, match ammo is out there, and a lot less recoil.... nuff said

Source for Rem700 actions at $450? Alright, I guess I will skip the 300WM in that AICS, I was just floored by the price. I don't get the funds for this build for a few weeks, and it will sell by then so it isn't in the cards anyway.

And I should say that my shooting buddy runs a 300WM, I don't mind the recoil (and he is using a really light stock) and he reloads for it. So I have access to the reload setup for it. But I think a .308 should be my primary focus.

I found the same problem when looking for a recent build...seems it's best to just buy a full rifle and sell off the barrel and stock.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking closer at used guns here...plenty for a reasonable price.

Going new...nothing wrong with the Savage- I've seen several here and on gunbroker for a reasonable price.

Just a thought if you want that 300.

I had a couple purchases in the past (non-firearm) where I did a payout (about 50% up front then the rest in 30-60 days)- nonrefundable...might be an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a couple purchases in the past (non-firearm) where I did a payout (about 50% up front then the rest in 30-60 days)- nonrefundable...might be an option. </div></div>

I only ever pay in cash. If I don't have it on hand and ready to go, I don't buy something. My credit isn't great because I never use credit, but I have never been in debt either. I mean I have one credit card I use for gas, but no large purchases ever go on it.

Maybe I will use it on a reloading setup though, make sense there...
wink.gif
Gotta pay money to save money.

I'd definitely either go with the FN SPR or a custom build off a 700 action. I have an SPR A3G and a SPR A5M and they both shoot .25-.5 MOA. For an $1800 factory rifle with a bedded McMillan stock, you can't beat their out of the box performance.

Buy used. If you're on a budget, paying the gunsmith fees and retail prices just doesn't make sense.

Buy used from someone you can talk to, get a feel for the condition, acccuracy, wear of a rifle. You can maximize your dollars and assure you won't get a lemon (many leave the scope base on, and throw rings in for a discount). Its not like there isn't enough options on this and other forums for you to find something you'll love.

Another plus of buying used is that it should hold its value well if you buy a quality rifle. If you find it just doesn't do it for you in six months, you should be able to sell it for almost no loss. Its like using it for free. Try to build a custom and then sell it for what you have into it.
smile.gif

Well you already know where I stand. Bottom line man Rome wasn't built in a day and if you really want something that is your own either find exactly what you would build used or build your own.

The last rifle I bought was a Savage 10FCP in .308. It was in an HS Precision stock. I bought EGW 20 moa base, Vortex rings, Viper HS 5x15, Harris bipod, Accurate Mag dbm with 2 10 rd mags. Im in it right now for about $1900. If you did one exactly like mine, that would leave you $600 to get started on a reloading setup. If i had it to do over, I believe I would do it the exact same way. Its a .5 moa shooter on its worst day and a low .2 on a good day.