• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tax Return = New GAP ?

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
Seriously considering putting this on ordering with GA Precision;

Templar LA w/20MOA base
Jewell Trigger
Bartlein 26", 1 in 10 twist, GAP #7 Contour, Fluted, 338LM
Badger FTE Brake
Manners MCS-T4A stock
Badger M5 DBM

Not decided on a color scheme yet.

I would keep my Savage until the new rifle is delivered (10 months) then sell the Savage and Nightforfce to help pay for a new optic, thinking Premier.

Some one should talk me out of this.

Re: Tax Return = New GAP ?

I say do it. I'd do it if my Savage 338 didn't shoot as well as it does. As strange as it sounds - I wanted to go custom but now I'm worried about ending up with something less accurate than the Savage.

By the way - I also have a custom gun (BAT 6BR)

I say do it. I can help with the color scheme
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermag99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say do it. I'd do it if my Savage 338 didn't shoot as well as it does. As strange as it sounds - I wanted to go custom but now I'm worried about ending up with something less accurate than the Savage.

By the way - I also have a custom gun (BAT 6BR) </div></div>

I was going to send my .308 to GAP to be re-barreled. Its a factory Rem tube my local smith worked over. I'm honestly concerned that it wouldn't shoot any better so I've decided to hang on to it for now. It literally shoots as well as my GAP 6.5 as crazy as it sounds. Its a 700, rechambered/cut/crowned factory tube in an HTG.

What a perfect idea for disposing of the hard-earned income that the government, in it's infinite wisdom, graciously decides let you keep! And probably better to do it now; your return is likely to be a noticeably smaller in the next few years (LOL).

Well, relatively debt free. That is, I'm 35 and have one car payment and the Mortgage but no credit card or other loans. Affordability is not really the issue.

I dont really expect the GAP to significantly outperform my Savage. But just like a Nissan Frontier will get me back and forth to work, Id rather drive my Cummins RAM 3500.

The waiting will be the hardest part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say do it. I can help with the color scheme
smile.gif
</div></div>

And you just may.

By they way, you guys aren't really helping to talk me out of this. Keep up the good work!

Go for it like chiller said might be the best investment strategy out there

I'd get it with a 1:9 twist, as you never know what crazy bullets (and needed twist) will come out.

That said, if your current rifle works great, why spend a heap of $$ on a different one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get it with a 1:9 twist, as you never know what crazy bullets (and needed twist) will come out.

That said, if your current rifle works great, why spend a heap of $$ on a different one?</div></div>

Just for the pride of owning something that's more custom and rare. Functionally, my Savage seems to do just fine. But I got a crazy hair that's temping me to go with something a bit more unique.

That'd be a mighty big interest-free loan you gave to Uncle Sam...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, relatively debt free. That is, I'm 35 and have one car payment and the Mortgage but no credit card or other loans. ........
I dont really expect the GAP to significantly outperform my Savage. ........ </div></div>

pay off the car, why spend it on something that is not gaining you much?

Go for it. My tax return is going to be a Beanland rifle.

Buy a TRG, no wait and a rifle that's like tit's in your face
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only do it if you are debt free.
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1

Consider a longer barrel. Free velocity is great and a 338LM isn't made to be a quick handling rifle. 30" barrel will get you 2850fps with relative ease. With Reloder 33 on the horizon who knows....2900?

Anyhow, go for it!

I say...anybody that drives a one ton diesel should own a 338 Lapua built by GAP! Sorry not much help in talking you out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say go for it but no flutes on the barrel and od green stock with digital camo like mine.</div></div>

Can you post a photo or a link to a photo?

I would get the 1-9.5 for the heavier bullets and Murphy Precisions 45 moa base. Mine is fluted and is a hammer.

77f477e7.jpg

i just got mine almost exactly like what you have listed for a build. Get it man

..or...stay alert on the FS section, you may just snagalag something up for 2/3 the cost, in nearly same configuration you want.

Still thinking. I'll give it a few days before I decide. It's not a question of affordability, more if this was a good build list and a good option for a nice 338LM. I very briefly considered a AI AW but I just couldn't justify it.

wish I got taxes back. Being self employed I have to write checks to the government instead of getting one. I say pay off the car first and get the GAP as a present to yourself when its paid off.

That being said, heres my 338 which is almost as you spec'd except for the T4 stock. Also had the FTE, but took it off for the suppressor.
IMG_0197.jpg

I like the idea...I doubt I'll get a GAP with mine but I might buy something else instead. I'm thinking a new AR is a definite possibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say go for it but no flutes on the barrel and od green stock with digital camo like mine.</div></div>

Can you post a photo or a link to a photo? </div></div>

I can e-mail you a photo. I don't know how to post them here.