• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Tax Stamp

chalwie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
ATL
Finally got my SBR tax stamp, and picked up my new baby. I was planning to photocopy the application with valid tax stamp, and laminate it. This will be kept with the gun at all times. Would this photocopy suffice if LE ever asks for papers? The original is going in my gun safe.
Thanks.

Re: Tax Stamp

Yes. Just as you stated, keep the original in the safe or safe deposit box and carry copies with the item.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rv10flyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. Just as you stated, keep the original in the safe or safe deposit box and carry copies with the item. </div></div>

+1

I kept a laminated copy in the case for my SBR and the original stayed in the safe.

Look at the ATF FAQ.
Make multiple copies, keep the original somewhere safe.
I have full sized, reduced, and a driver's license sized laminated one in my wallet. Yes, you can read the serial number.

Q: Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by ATF officers. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#owner-evidence

That answers it. I'm always paranoid that some local high-waist band type LE wouldn't know the law, and makes unnecessary trouble. ATF not likely. I'm particularly concerned about driving across state lines to shoot at my cabin. I'll file travel notice to ATF, and make sure to bring that paperwork also.
Thanks.

Good luck with filing the interstate transfer paperwork every time you want to run over to the cabin. I scheduled to attend a school out of state last year and wanted to take my suppressor. I called ATF 90 days prior to the school and asked to fax my form in for approval. I was told they will not accept that form by fax and to mail it. I mailed it and, shocker, heard nothing back. Off I went to the school sans suppressor and didn't think about it until January (school was in November) when I was at SHOT. My cell rang with a 202 area code. Hmmm... I answered and spoke to a nice lady from NFA Branch who had "some questions" about my F5320.20. As she started, I interrupted and asked her to check the dates on the form. She asked "Why?" and I said "Because I was trying to take that trip in November of LAST YEAR." She gave me the "Gee Whiz. How did that happen?" bit and then asked what I wanted her to do. I told her to just return the form. Then she wanted to know why I wanted it back. She wasn't pleased when I told her I wanted it so I could make fun of NFA Branch. I was only half-kidding. She didn't even get the half. But they did return the form and I kept it as a reminder. As far as making copies of your stamp, a small suggestion, I ordered up some Rite in the Rain paper and had my form color copied onto it in lieu of laminating. Makes a much more compact and foldable copy that will stand up to about anything you can throw at it. You can order packs of the paper on-line.

Good advice on the paper product - I'll try it.
As for travel papers, I had the impression that an approval was good for one year. I thought no matter how long the approval took; I can still use it for one year afterwards.
There is a course I want to take early April, so it looks like the SBR won't make it there. It seems the damn liberals never cease to complicate our lives with regulations.

I have to travel through GA-NC-TN to get to my destination. It's all a learning curve for me - these regulations. When I get through it, I'll post some info for others.

As far as Interstate Travel. Check out the ATF F5320.20. You have to list specific dates. Section 3. Dates firearm(s) will be away from original location, if to be returned to that location, (or dates in transit, if to be permanently relocated). So you have to do a form every time you are going to transport the NFA item interstate. And remember, this is an "APPLICATION To TRANSPORT INTERSTATE". In other words, they can deny it if they want. The kicker is there is a section where you have to tell them why you are taking the item out of state. Sucks.

FYI, I just read another thread on this subject which caused me to go back and review the form. It appears that the 5320.20 is only required for MG's, SBS, SBR and DD's. So I don't even need one to go interstate with a suppressor. Which is even funnier in that ATF has previously approved the forms for me to travel with a suppressor. Still required for the OP's SBR though.