• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tax time action purchase

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’ve been running a tl3 for center fire along with a RimX for the 22 game the past few seasons, but want to branch out to try something different. Now the question is what to look into, the Curtis valor qc with the conversation kit caught me eye since it would essentially eliminate the need for two separate rigs for PRS but I’m open to other suggestions.

What is lacking in the TL3 and Rim-X that makes you want something different?
    absolutely nothing, just want to try something different and possibly streamline double head weekends when ive got a centerfire one day and rimfire the next at the same venue with one rig instead of two. Now that I’m typing this out I’m starting to see that might be a pain if I’m switching barrels back and forth to have to rezero before the match.

Reactions: LR1845
    I mean, all actions essentially do the same thing. So, if there's an action/s that peak your interest, you'll always wonder about them no matter what. Since they all do the same thing, you're really only changing things up for the sake of changing (nothing wrong with that). So might as well be the action/s you're most interested in.

We can make a list of every action and why it's good. But you'll likely always still wonder about the Curtis. I'd go with that and then see if you're still interested in anything else.

We'll also be able to list a pro/con list of same rig with just a different barrel and bolt, against the pro/con of two different rifles. It's an endless debate.

I mean, all actions essentially do the same thing. So, if there's an action/s that peak your interest, you'll always wonder about them no matter what. Since they all do the same thing, you're really only changing things up for the sake of changing (nothing wrong with that). So might as well be the action/s you're most interested in.

We can make a list of every action and why it's good. But you'll likely always still wonder about the Curtis. I'd go with that and then see if you're still interested in anything else.

We'll also be able to list a pro/con list of same rig with just a different barrel and bolt, against the pro/con of two different rifles. It's an endless debate.
    Very true, it’s a rabbit hole that’s got no real bottom.
    Yeah, having to switch barrels like that doesn't sound fun when it's also the day of the match...
    The more I think about it the less fun that seems, and I’d probably still bring a backup in case the switch barrel doesn’t want to play nice. So I’d still have two rifles defeating the whole purpose of the switch barrel rig.

Love my tl3. The impact is the only other action I have interest in due to the integral pic rail and overall design

I’ve been running a tl3 for center fire along with a RimX for the 22 game the past few seasons, but want to branch out to try something different. Now the question is what to look into, the Curtis valor qc with the conversation kit caught me eye since it would essentially eliminate the need for two separate rigs for PRS but I’m open to other suggestions.
    QC actions are bullshit. Curtis are also shit tier actions compared to the good stuff.

I love impact but the new ARC CDG is one hell of an action for the money. Why not get something from bighorn so your barrels can share actions?

Reactions: King_beardsly
    One of the coolest things about custom actions that take prefits is being able to have a couple actions and a bunch of barrels to swap around. Depending on whats going on Ill have

a .223 and a 6.5cm
    a 6gt and a 6.5cm
    A 6 GT and .223
    2 different 6.5cm barrels
    6.5PRC and 6.5cm.

Thats just 2 actions, 2 scopes , 2 chassis and a bunch of barrels.

Buying into another platform means you have to buy all unique barrels for it. For some its not a big deal but I like being able to run the same setup for everything. You also end up with spares incase something goes down. Instead of having to have an extra firing assembly, just bring a 2nd bolt to a match. Throw a trigger in there and there is not much else that can break that you cant fix on the fly.

Reactions: 2c1fr
    One of the coolest things about custom actions that take prefits is being able to have a couple actions and a bunch of barrels to swap around. Depending on whats going on Ill have

a .223 and a 6.5cm
    a 6gt and a 6.5cm
    A 6 GT and .223
    2 different 6.5cm barrels
    6.5PRC and 6.5cm.

Thats just 2 actions, 2 scopes , 2 chassis and a bunch of barrels.

Buying into another platform means you have to buy all unique barrels for it. For some its not a big deal but I like being able to run the same setup for everything. You also end up with spares incase something goes down. Instead of having to have an extra firing assembly, just bring a 2nd bolt to a match. Throw a trigger in there and there is not much else that can break that you cant fix on the fly.
    I’ve got 308, 6creed, 6Dasher, 223 currently and ordering either a 6 or 6.5SAUM for the TL3 and I’ve got a “spare” origin just sitting on my reloading shelf with one of the hunts lugs to accept Tl3 barrels.

I love impact but the new ARC CDG is one hell of an action for the money.
    arc.JPG

You've really warmed up to the Cooty-graw:LOL:

Last edited:
    I'd go with Terminus instead- Joel Russo designed the first Curtis actions when he was a partner? there, but left because he didn't want to compromise on the product?

Joel Russo's/Terminus' story: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/terminus-actions.6953581/

Since the QC centerfire/rimfire idea has been squashed, l’d definitely look into the stuff from Joel. He’s actually somewhat local to where I am, so maybe I’ll see if I can catch him at a match in the spring to talk.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    Since the QC centerfire/rimfire idea has been squashed, l’d definitely look into the stuff from Joel. He’s actually somewhat local to where I am, so maybe I’ll see if I can catch him at a match in the spring to talk.
    He's very easy to talk to and often answers the phone himself.

He's very easy to talk to and often answers the phone himself.
    He was one of the sponsors for the New England PRS series and I think put up a few certificates for either free or heavy discount on actions. So maybe I’ll give him a shout and see if he’s going to be at any of the “local” pro matches for 2024 and see if I can play with an action.

Every action is quick change if you have an action wrench. It’s easy to change barrels, particularly if you have a chassis/stock that will accept a straight (non-tapered) barrel.

I don’t know what the current word is but I’ve heard a number of times guys talk about just screwing barrels on hand tight too. I haven’t tested this myself.

But with the terminus you don't have to take the action out of the chassis/stock and all you need is an Allen wrench and 30 seconds of time

Every action is quick change if you have an action wrench. It’s easy to change barrels, particularly if you have a chassis/stock that will accept a straight (non-tapered) barrel.

I don’t know what the current word is but I’ve heard a number of times guys talk about just screwing barrels on hand tight too. I haven’t tested this myself.
    All my stocks are setup for straight 1.30” barrels, and I’ve got all the stuff needed to switch out barrels just not at the range or trunk of my vehicle. I mean I could fabricate some thing to mount my barrel vice to a trailer hitch but that’s a mild pain

Last edited:
    But with the terminus you don't have to take the action out of the chassis/stock and all you need is an Allen wrench and 30 seconds of time
    Sure thing, it just opens up a lot more options if you aren't worried about needing a QC action and barrels with the QC engagement feature engaged in them, or barrels that're just secured with a set screw pinching them.

Sure thing, it just opens up a lot more options if you aren't worried about needing a QC action and barrels with the QC engagement feature engaged in them, or barrels that're just secured with a set screw pinching them.
    The QC is a handy feature but not having it isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Looking at the Curtis Valor and the Terminus Zeus the barrel change feature looks the same ?
    Fun Fact. The dude who designed the Curtis actions, left to form Terminus. Joel.

Curtis are notorious for bolt stop failures. Guys would keep spares because they broke so often. Even saw one cat tape a highlighter to his stock to act as a bolt stop so he could get through the match. Pretty crafty IMO.

I wouldn't personally buy either one. IN fact, i have a terminus for sale right now. Not a huge fan of them.

View attachment 8284330

You've really warmed up to the Cooty-graw:LOL:
    Having some time with the CDG and some friends who run them I think its the best action they have made. Not the same issues as with the Nuke and archemedies. They still aren't very popular up there, but this may be the best action ARC yet. They still have issues with their mags and scope mounts but thats another thread.

Joel is a nice guy and hunts on my property. If I was looking to have another gun built I would probably use his action