• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC 22 takedown

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Hello everyone,

Got me a 22 takedown, and keep getting the rear endcap stuck against the shoulder regardless of how tight I wrench it on. It unscrews every time and the cap has to be taken off the muzzle with a wrench. Is there a remedy for this outside of loctite, which Pretty much defeats the purpose of the takedown?

Edited: is it a good idea to secure the rear cap?

Thanks

Last edited:
    Reactions: goneballistic
    The “good” pair stays in the Tundra just this purpose...
    Plasti Dip as needed.
    0CBD19EA-9C0F-4887-B829-1A0D19B610E0.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Got me a 22 takedown, and keep getting the rear endcap stuck against the shoulder regardless of how tight I wrench it on. It unscrews every time and the cap has to be taken off the muzzle with a wrench. Is there a remedy for this outside of loctite, which Pretty much defeats the purpose of the takedown.

Thanks
    It doesn't defeat the purpose. I have an ECCO Machine rimfire can. He used something to keep the end cap from unscrewing. It's still a take down since the muzzle cap comes off. I'm considering doing the same to my .22TD.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I took a shot and used blue loctite on the threads to try it out.

I just wait for it to cool down while still on the rifle and then use a crescent wrench on the cap to loosen it.

Uh oh, I have one in jail! I know some makers use Rocksett to stop end caps from coming off.

edit: I assume the front cap comes off? If not, if you rocksett the back one, there's no way to take it apart (obv).
    edit again: Yeah, the front cap comes off. Looked at pics online. Whew.

Post how it works out. Like I said, I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the Loctite to my Takedown.
    Ok, turns out putting some blue loctite on the rear cap was the money. Can works like a charm now. I didn’t mention it earlier but it was spraying the rounds before the loctite.

One thing I’ve noticed with cans that disassemble, is if the caps are not on with hard positive engagement against the baffle stack, vibration is induced, which causes random points of impact between shots, sometimes as much as several feet away from point of aim. Probably thru mechanism of baffle rubs. Saw this years ago with my Shark Jaws can. I’ve also seen this same thing happen not with a suppressor, but with the end weights on a 30” stabilizer on my target compound bow. The weights were loose, creating a loud twang crank sound, making the arrows miss the point of aim every time. Solution is easy though in either case; with the can, just secure the rear cap with some blue loctite (or red for centerfire if it gets crazy hot) and it’s all good.

I’m very happy with the 22 takedown

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
    Ok, turns out putting some blue loctite on the rear cap was the money. Can works like a charm now. I didn’t mention it earlier but it was spraying the rounds before the loctite.

One thing I’ve noticed with cans that disassemble, is if the caps are not on with hard positive engagement against the baffle stack, vibration is induced, which causes random points of impact between shots, sometimes as much as several feet away from point of aim. Probably thru mechanism of baffle rubs. Saw this years ago with my Shark Jaws can. I’ve also seen this same thing happen not with a suppressor, but with the end weights on a 30” stabilizer on my target compound bow. The weights were loose, creating a loud twang crank sound, making the arrows miss the point of aim every time. Solution is easy though in either case; with the can, just secure the rear cap with some blue loctite (or red for centerfire if it gets crazy hot) and it’s all good.

I’m very happy with the 22 takedown
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the LocTite.
    I'll have to give that a try next time I have my "visit" with the jailed TBAC.
    Happy New Year

I also use blue loctite and just remove the muzzle cap for cleaning.

I have this can as well. Haven’t used it yet, but it looks nicely designed except for that muzzle endcap unscrewing. None of my other suppressors do that.

@TBACRAY I will try your technique. However, is there any downside to Rocksetting the rear cap on? Seems like I could still get the stack out for cleaning.

Btw instead of plastidipping a wrench with serrations, for applicstions like this try a German Knipex Pliers Wrench. They have smooth and flat jaws. Something like +1:10power ratio to really grip stuff (go easy on suppressors!).

They also sorta replace a bunch of sockets in a lightweight tool bag (unless you’ve got some nuts in tight places).

I like the 150mm for gun stuff. They also make them with fat handles (don’t like them). https://www.knipex.com/products/pip...&sort_by=field_top_product&items_per_page=100

B30AB395-4B55-47D1-BC38-5E275F9E30E9.png

I designed this for my 22TD and had my brother 3d print one for me. Works great! I did leave out the middle hole on the 3D print version though.

66D8E178-0AD9-4F84-9FEC-0006E7BB6E85.jpeg

Reactions: Shane C.
    I designed this for my 22TD and had my brother 3d print one for me. Works great! I did leave out the middle hole on the 3D print version though.

View attachment 7787544
    Oh, hey! So it looks like it’s big enough to fit over the can while it’s attached to the gun and then you move it fwd to engage, right? Nice. I’d prob buy one (without the middle hole, good call).

TBAC should incorporate this idea with their included plastic wrench.

Reactions: Maelstrom
    Oh, hey! So it looks like it’s big enough to fit over the can while it’s attached to the gun and then you move it fwd to engage, right?
    Yea that was the idea, to have it slide down the can but retain some of the strength of a closed wrench design. The final revision looks a little different but you get the idea.

Reactions: carbonbased
    Well I am not set up for selling here but I plan to get my own printer sometime this year. I’ll send you one free when I do.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I've been using my 22TD over a year now. Very happy with it. I TIGHTEN the muzzle end cap with the supplied tool. Insert baffle stack. TIGHTEN the front cap. Nothing ever comes loose. Use TBACRAY's suggestion above. Pull the can straight from the barrel when you break it loose from the gun. Never had the cap stay on the gun.

Just grab the can by the muzzle end and apply a little downward pressure while turning it off.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Just grab the can by the muzzle end and apply a little downward pressure while turning it off.
    Soooo, I was thinking my TBAC 22 Takedown came with a couple of little wrenches for getting off the cap & I have been very frustrated in not being able to find them. I also have been cussing myself for leaving the can on my Ruger 22/45 Lite for who know how many rounds over many months. The damn thing just would not come off, just kept unscrewing itself. As I was contemplating putting channel locks or a wrench on it, I saw the above post & didn't think it would work.. but I tried it & eureka!!!! Thank you @TBACRAY for ALWAYS supporting this site and your customers.

Reactions: TBACRAY
    Just incase anyone sees this in the future, get one of the Spire Gunworks aluminum tools. He makes top-notch stuff. I have a bunch of his wrenches for my different cans. Mask, 22TD, Obsidian 45, KeyMo, and Nomad/Primal. 👍🏼

View attachment 7787544
    Has anyone ever been able to print these? Even with holding the can and letting the rifle hang I keep getting the rear endcap stuck on my barrel. I got in the habit of putting the small factory tool on the barrel before I screwed the suppressor on but unfortunately I ended up breaking the tool Monday when I went to take the end cap off the barrel after shooting.

Same here. A little bit of blue LocTite goes a long way. The attachment end cap stays the n place when hand tightened/loosened. I use the TBAC disassembly tool to take it apart.
    YMMV, happy shooting

Has anyone ever been able to print these? Even with holding the can and letting the rifle hang I keep getting the rear endcap stuck on my barrel. I got in the habit of putting the small factory tool on the barrel before I screwed the suppressor on but unfortunately I ended up breaking the tool Monday when I went to take the end cap off the barrel after shooting.
    Literally look 1 post up... Solid aluminum CNC tool... If they break, you're doing something wrong.