• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC 223 Video?

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
@TBACRAY

I don't know if you need or want a video idea or not but I would really like to see a DB test on a bolt action 223 with all of your compatible cans(or at least the 6.5 ultras, Dominus, Magnus, and 338 ultra). I'm sure you don't take too many requests but 223 bolt gun is one of the super common setups you don't have a video on so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Last edited:
I will throw this out there. I use a ultra 7 gen 1 6.5 on my 223 bolt trainer and I can shoot my practice sessions without ear pro very comfortably as long as I'm not under any kind of awning or roof.

Okay

I will throw this out there. I use a ultra 7 gen 1 .30 cal on my 223 bolt action and I CANNOT shoot without ear pro

uncomfortable even with Surefire plugs

this is under a metal awning, concrete flooring

Very uncomfortable without earpro

^as shooter^

But people ~15 feet away can have conversations and have no problem not wearing earpro, myself included (other people shooting my gun)

An Ultra 338 on a .223 bolt gun is stupid quiet. But I don't think that a cellphone video is going to be of use in demonstrating how it sounds.

Reactions: RS14
Okay

I will throw this out there. I use a ultra 7 gen 1 .30 cal on my 223 bolt action and I CANNOT shoot without ear pro

^as shooter^

But people ~12 feet away can have conversations and have no problem not wearing earpro

This is a good reminder that the shooting environment can matter just as much (or more) than the free field performance of the can.

Reactions: rust4brains
Appreciate the video! Ordered a magnus a few months ago…. Sure would be nice if it shipped around Christmas.

Sounds like an ultra 9 would have been sufficient but then again the magnus should work better on bigger guns.

Appreciate the video! Ordered a magnus a few months ago…. Sure would be nice if it shipped around Christmas.

Sounds like an ultra 9 would have been sufficient but then again the magnus should work better on bigger guns.
Magnus was 5db quieter at the muzzle than the ultra 9 and only 2db from the 338 gen 2. I think the magnus was a good choice.

Okay

^as shooter^

But people ~15 feet away can have conversations and have no problem not wearing earpro, myself included (other people shooting my gun)
*all* supersonic cartridges damage your hearing.

Don’t be me.

Some of the first rounds out of my Magnus. I'm shooting slow because I'm checking my zero off the tripod. I'm impressed so far... Closed the bolt with and without a round for sound reference.

Last edited: