• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC 338 Ultra G2 SR vs DA Sandman L

Trent A

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Has anyone had any experience with both of these suppressors? What are your thoughts? Which is better at what? Which do you prefer?

I will be shooting primarily 223 through my suppressors with some 308 mixed in occasionally. Both calibers will usually be bolt guns but will be used on an AR15 as well in 223 as well.

Here is where I’m sitting: just got approved to go pick up my DA Sandman L. Purchased this 8+ months ago and at the time was just getting into shooting more, and don’t know shit from shinola about suppressors other than the fact that I really wanted one. I like and trust my FFL dealer which is who I’m going through with all the paperwork to get the Sandman. He strongly suggested choosing either the Sandman L or an Omega 300, and I ended up going with the Sandman L… But knowing what I know now, I’m left thinking I wish I had gone with the TBAC Ultra G2 SR. TBAC wasn’t even mentioned by my FFL, for whatever reason, and I didn’t know one company from the next other than what I was reading online, which was far from strait forward, especially to someone who isn’t in the know on the subject.

So seeking opinions, comparisons, etc. Even if the TBAC is better, is it leaps and bounds better? Or do you think I would be just as happy with the Sandman L? Is there anything that I can even do about it at this point anyway now that it’s been approved by the ATF? Or do I have some means of selling the Sandman L still since I haven’t picked it up yet? If I can sell the sandman, would I loose my tax stamp, or could I still use the same one when going to get a TBAC Ultra? Is there any way to attach a TBAC Ultra to a DA Keymo break? I know TBAC has some kind of adapter to fit different kinds of breaks other than the specific one it was designed for, but that’s the extent of my knowledge regarding that. My biggest worry is that I’ll get all my guns set up with DA Keymo breaks only to find myself switching to the TBAC dowm the line, and then having to re fit all my guns with TBAC breaks, leaving me with one hell of an expensive paper weight.

Thanks in advance for any info provided. It’s much appreciated!
    -Trent

Two very different cans for different purposes…

The 338 Ultra is obviously for 338 so a better comparison would be one of the 30 cal options from Thunderbeast. If I were looking to use the keymo mount I would look at the Magnus hub option.

As a general rule, a larger can is quieter. This doesn’t always apply but usually. The Sandman is heavier with its stellite baffles and will handle heavy shooting better than titanium long term. For a bolt gun the Magnus is a great fit and you’ll be happier with it for precision rifle shooting. Of course the 338 applies as well but it is more than you need.

The tax stamp stays with the can so you might as well enjoy the Sandman while you wait for the Thunderbeast. Or you can sell it but the purchaser has to purchase a tax stamp for the transfer.

Two very different cans for different purposes…

The 338 Ultra is obviously for 338 so a better comparison would be one of the 30 cal options from Thunderbeast. If I were looking to use the keymo mount I would look at the Magnus hub option.

As a general rule, a larger can is quieter. This doesn’t always apply but usually. The Sandman is heavier with its stellite baffles and will handle heavy shooting better than titanium long term. For a bolt gun the Magnus is a great fit and you’ll be happier with it for precision rifle shooting. Of course the 338 applies as well but it is more than you need.

The tax stamp stays with the can so you might as well enjoy the Sandman while you wait for the Thunderbeast. Or you can sell it but the purchaser has to purchase a tax stamp for the transfer.

Definitely more than I need, but, I purchased one of the 100% free certs on the post exchange on here, so they will cost the same in the end for me, and I was going to go with the 338 Ultra with the thought that I want to suppress the noise as much as possible, even if it comes at the cost of going overboard and packing on more weight with the bigger suppressor. From what you said, that would achieve what I’m aiming for, maximal suppression, right? Maybe there are other things I’m not considering though, and I would have no idea what those would be, as this is my first can, and I’ve never even seen a can in person before to be honest, so everything I know about them is just been based off of what I’ve read and what I’ve been told, no first hand knowledge at all.

*edit: should clarify, I’ve seen them, but never seen them in action.

Definitely more than I need, but, I purchased one of the 100% free certs on the post exchange on here, so they will cost the same in the end for me, and I was going to go with the 338 Ultra with the thought that I want to suppress the noise as much as possible, even if it comes at the cost of going overboard and packing on more weight with the bigger suppressor. From what you said, that would achieve what I’m aiming for, maximal suppression, right? Maybe there are other things I’m not considering though, and I would have no idea what those would be, as this is my first can, and I’ve never even seen a can in person before to be honest, so everything I know about them is just been based off of what I’ve read and what I’ve been told, no first hand knowledge at all.

*edit: should clarify, I’ve seen them, but never seen them in action.
    Let me call in a guy that shoots everything thru his….

@Huskydriver wanna chime in here?

Let me call in a guy that shoots everything thru his….

@Huskydriver wanna chime in here?
    Everything but 22 LR, right, lol? From
    What I understand that’s a no no for all centerfire suppressors due to the buildup it creates, and it potentially causing baffle strikes, correct? Probably a dumb question, but again, that’s just what I’ve been told, so wanting to verify with a group that actually knows what they are talking about!

If you don’t do the 4473 you can still get the Form 4 cancelled and workout something with your SOT.

338 Ultra is a very quiet, very big can.

Yup no 22lr through a non user serviceable can.

I do use my 338 ultra sr on just about everything but...... There is diminishing returns for the size and length tho. For 223 there are def more appropriate options.

308 family and smaller chamberings there is nothing quieter than a 338 ultra but you could probably get pretty close to the same suppression with much shorter cans.

The sandman is a great all around can but it's meant for ar's.

Tbh just buy more cans🤣 welcome to the addiction.. Check out the Magnus in hub format or even the ultra 9 gen 2

I do use my 338 ultra sr on just about everything but...... There is diminishing returns for the size and length tho. For 223 there are def more appropriate options.

308 family and smaller chamberings there is nothing quieter than a 338 ultra but you could probably get pretty close to the same suppression with much shorter cans.

Tbh just buy more cans🤣 welcome to the addiction.. Check out the Magnus in hub format or even the ultra 9 gen 2

The Sandman L is intended for use on an AR? Well shit, lol, not sure why that one got the leading tip of the cap from my dealer when I specifically told him it would be primarily for bolt action use. Does it function well on bolt action rifles as well, or not so much? It’s use will literally be 99% on bolt guns…

Has anyone had any experience with both of these suppressors? What are your thoughts? Which is better at what? Which do you prefer?

I will be shooting primarily 223 through my suppressors with some 308 mixed in occasionally. Both calibers will usually be bolt guns but will be used on an AR15 as well in 223 as well.

Here is where I’m sitting: just got approved to go pick up my DA Sandman L. Purchased this 8+ months ago and at the time was just getting into shooting more, and don’t know shit from shinola about suppressors other than the fact that I really wanted one. I like and trust my FFL dealer which is who I’m going through with all the paperwork to get the Sandman. He strongly suggested choosing either the Sandman L or an Omega 300, and I ended up going with the Sandman L… But knowing what I know now, I’m left thinking I wish I had gone with the TBAC Ultra G2 SR. TBAC wasn’t even mentioned by my FFL, for whatever reason, and I didn’t know one company from the next other than what I was reading online, which was far from strait forward, especially to someone who isn’t in the know on the subject.

So seeking opinions, comparisons, etc. Even if the TBAC is better, is it leaps and bounds better? Or do you think I would be just as happy with the Sandman L? Is there anything that I can even do about it at this point anyway now that it’s been approved by the ATF? Or do I have some means of selling the Sandman L still since I haven’t picked it up yet? If I can sell the sandman, would I loose my tax stamp, or could I still use the same one when going to get a TBAC Ultra? Is there any way to attach a TBAC Ultra to a DA Keymo break? I know TBAC has some kind of adapter to fit different kinds of breaks other than the specific one it was designed for, but that’s the extent of my knowledge regarding that. My biggest worry is that I’ll get all my guns set up with DA Keymo breaks only to find myself switching to the TBAC dowm the line, and then having to re fit all my guns with TBAC breaks, leaving me with one hell of an expensive paper weight.

-Trent
    I have an Ultra SR on order, so have no direct comparison. I have had a Sandman-L for years, first suppressor purchase. I think it is great and would buy it again. Very quiet on AR15 and 10. I like the changeable endcaps so use the smaller on 5.56. On my 300PRC 26" bolt action it is VERY quiet. A guy shooting next to me at Ben Avery thought it was an airsoft. He was young and stupid, and wearing ears, but still. It is quiet. Never heard anyone claim the DA is for ARs only, first time I've seen anyone say that. Not sure why you would want to spend 2X the money for a caliber you don't need, but it is a great can, just cannot compare to a Sandman. And obviously I bought it so expect great performance.

Edit: I rechecked DA's description of the Sandman, and saw nohing leading to believe it was an AR device. The K model most definitely is, more specifically designed for SBRs/pistols as it adds less than 3" to toal length.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Trent A
    I have an Ultra SR on order, so have no direct comparison. I have had a Sandman-L for years, first suppressor purchase. I think it is great and would buy it again. Very quiet on AR15 and 10. I like the changeable endcaps so use the smaller on 5.56. On my 300PRC 26" bolt action it is VERY quiet. A guy shooting next to me at Ben Avery thought it was an airsoft. He was young and stupid, and wearing ears, but still. It is quiet. Not sure why you would want to spend 2X the money for a caliber you don't need, but it is a great can, just cannot compare to a Sandman. And obviously I bought it so expect great performance.

Glad to hear that the DA Sandman L performs as well as it does for you! On your 300PCR, did you find any change with degree of accuracy using it vs shooting without it? Or did it seem to perform well on your bolt gun(s) as well, in terms of accuracy/precision? Did you use it on any other caliber bolt action rifles? Regarding the cost, after buying a 100% cert for $1,100 then paying the stamp, the Ultra should only run me about $200 more than what the Sandman cost me, if I’m doing my math correctly.

Thank you for the feedback on your experience, I appreciate it!

If you have a 100% tbac cert there’s no reason not to buy the most expensive can they make (aside from the 50) which would be the 338 SR, I had a half off cert and that’s what I used it on but it’s still in jail. I do have a magnus at home and it’s great.

Your dealer steered you in the wrong direction with the sandman L so i wouldn’t take their future advice. It’s size makes it less then ideal for semis and there’s much better options for bolt gun use. I’d also stay away from dead air for future cans as they’re an absolute nightmare of a company lately and I’d honestly be surprised if they’re still in business in a year the way they’ve been handling their problems.

I have a lot of cans but also a lot I don’t use anymore, if I was starting from nothing I could condense my collection to a few for centerfire rifle use.

-TBAC magnus, suppresses close to 338 ultra levels and is reasonably light for its size. I use it on range guns and hunting rifles if I’m sitting in an open stand. A 338 ultra could take its place if it was used strictly for range rifles.

-CGS Helios QD Ti or TBAC dominus. I have both and they’re both great do all suppressors that are very light and pretty small. I’m impressed with everything I put the Helios on wether it’s an AR or bolt gun, I like it so much I bought a second one since one lives on my coyote AR and the other on my main deer rifle. The Helios is also rated for shorter barrels then the dominus but they’re both great.

-Huxwrx flow 556k, small hard use can that sounds good on gas guns as long as you’re out in the open as it emits a little more noise out the front away from the shooter compared to non flow through designs.

-Huxwrx flow 762Ti, pretty much the 30 cal version of the 556k but made from titanium instead of stainless. Great for large frame gas guns.

These are all suppressors I have, there’s other great less expensive options like from Abel co, otter creek labs and diligent defense but I have no experience with those.

Glad to hear that the DA Sandman L performs as well as it does for you! On your 300PCR, did you find any change with degree of accuracy using it vs shooting without it? Or did it seem to perform well on your bolt gun(s) as well, in terms of accuracy/precision? Did you use it on any other caliber bolt action rifles? Regarding the cost, after buying a 100% cert for $1,100 then paying the stamp, the Ultra should only run me about $200 more than what the Sandman cost me, if I’m doing my math correctly.

Thank you for the feedback on your experience, I appreciate it!
    The PRC is the only bolt gun I have used it on. The POI shifts slightly up and left @ 200yds, but it is consistent. Precision was unaffected. The way the keymo works, the suppressor goes on with exactly the same orientation every time. I have used it on the 1000yd course with great results.

I think I likely will end up with more cans, but, the part that bothers me the most is the incompatibility between the mounts of the sandman and the Ultra. I want to be able to stick whatever can I want on any gun without having to change the break out on it. That is actually another point that my dealer missed on… I had said I wanted a direct thread suppressor so I could move it from gun to gun without use of breaks, so, naturally I assumed his suggestions took that into account. It wasn’t until after it was ordered that I learned the sandman doesn’t have any direct thread capability…

If you have a 100% tbac cert there’s no reason not to buy the most expensive can they make (aside from the 50) which would be the 338 SR, I had a half off cert and that’s what I used it on but it’s still in jail. I do have a magnus at home and it’s great.

Your dealer steered you in the wrong direction with the sandman L so i wouldn’t take their future advice. It’s size makes it less then ideal for semis and there’s much better options for bolt gun use. I’d also stay away from dead air for future cans as they’re an absolute nightmare of a company lately and I’d honestly be surprised if they’re still in business in a year the way they’ve been handling their problems.

I have a lot of cans but also a lot I don’t use anymore, if I was starting from nothing I could condense my collection to a few for centerfire rifle use.

-TBAC magnus, suppresses close to 338 ultra levels and is reasonably light for its size. I use it on range guns and hunting rifles if I’m sitting in an open stand. A 338 ultra could take its place if it was used strictly for range rifles.

-CGS Helios QD Ti or TBAC dominus. I have both and they’re both great do all suppressors that are very light and pretty small. I’m impressed with everything I put the Helios on wether it’s an AR or bolt gun, I like it so much I bought a second one since one lives on my coyote AR and the other on my main deer rifle. The Helios is also rated for shorter barrels then the dominus but they’re both great.

-Huxwrx flow 556k, small hard use can that sounds good on gas guns as long as you’re out in the open as it emits a little more noise out the front away from the shooter compared to non flow through designs.

-Huxwrx flow 762Ti, pretty much the 30 cal version of the 556k but made from titanium instead of stainless. Great for large frame gas guns.

These are all suppressors I have, there’s other great less expensive options like from Abel co, otter creek labs and diligent defense but I have no experience with those.

Thank you for all that info! Yes, over time I seem to keep learning more and more ‘misses’ that were made in his recommendation, unfortunately. That being said, even though I was clueless, I should have made fewer assumptions that he knew what he was talking about, and done more research for myself. I did do a lot of research, but apparently I wasn’t educated enough to know what to look for while I was trying to learn and choose a can on the fly.

Thank you for all that info! Yes, over time I seem to keep learning more and more ‘misses’ that were made in his recommendation, unfortunately. That being said, even though I was clueless, I should have made fewer assumptions that he knew what he was talking about, and done more research for myself. I did do a lot of research, but apparently I wasn’t educated enough to know what to look for while I was trying to learn and choose a can on the fly.

I also wouldn’t base all future suppressor purchases around being able to use the keymo system personally, it’s heavy, adds a lot of length, is expensive, has been hard to find at times and again dead air as a company really sucks lately.

The more suppressors you have the less universal mounting matters, when I buy one it’s for a specific host. I do use the area 419 system on most of my bolt actions tho which allows you to easily switch between a brake or suppressor. I like that it allows me to switch between a shorter or longer can depending on my hunting situation and it adds almost no length and very little weight, plus it’s reasonably priced.

The Sandman L is intended for use on an AR? Well shit, lol, not sure why that one got the leading tip of the cap from my dealer when I specifically told him it would be primarily for bolt action use. Does it function well on bolt action rifles as well, or not so much? It’s use will literally be 99% on bolt guns…

It's a stellite can. Those are geared towards full auto and sbr use. They still sound decent on bolt guns but are way heavy compared to lighter TI cans. You want a hub can so you can put whatever mount system you decide on

I just used a cert on Magnus SR. I agree with up above there is no price limit on certs, I just didn’t want to go any longer or heavier than the Magnus SR.

I just used a cert on Magnus SR. I agree with up above there is no price limit on certs, I just didn’t want to go any longer or heavier than the Magnus SR.

I already had a magnus hub so it was an easy choice for me to go 338sr. Most people aren’t using a can that size for anything but range use so the little extra length or weight doesn’t typically matter but I do use my magnus hunting sometimes. They’re both awesomely quiet.

Just finished reading all the posts to date… ya, I wish I had made another choice. By the time mine comes apart, it sounds like they won’t be around to even accept it for warranty work… what an atrocious waist of time and money.
    I don’t think they will just disappear. But I do think they will lose a lot of business. As long as you lgs keep pushing them on people who don’t know better they will continue to sell plenty of cans. I have a nomad ti that I have probably around 500 rounds on I think I should be safe from coming apart. The can does sound really good.

So, when DA goes titts up, do you think it would make it less likely for the Sandman to come apart if I were to restrict its use to 223 only? Trying to think of ideas to keep it serviceable, and not turning into an abstract paperweight…

So, when DA goes titts up, do you think it would make it less likely for the Sandman to come apart if I were to restrict its use to 223 only? Trying to think of ideas to keep it serviceable, and not turning into an abstract paperweight…
    Best thing you can do is go ahead and get another one in jail so if yours comes apart you are not left with nothing to use while being repaired.

It's a stellite can. Those are geared towards full auto and sbr use. They still sound decent on bolt guns but are way heavy compared to lighter TI cans. You want a hub can so you can put whatever mount system you decide on
    ^^^ This all day long

The Sandman is a great can, you’re going to be fine and it’s going to sound good. The only reason it’s an AR type can is because it’s heavy for full auto use, we snobs like our lightweight titanium cans.

You may have noticed a high amount of drama and speculation about ALL products involved in precision shooting, not just suppressors. I doubt the sky is falling for Dead Air and the reason there are a large amount of complaints is that there are a TON of their cans out there…. Hopefully they get their poop in a pile soon resolving the problems they are currently having.

TBAC is known to be a great company and provides excellent service. There are probably a few stinker stories out there about them I suppose. Not slinging any mud, just that the internet is a massive henhouse full of Karen’s and the negative posters are always the most vocal.

Reactions: AZLong and Trent A
    ^^^ This all day long
    Can someone give me an example of a hub can so I can look it up and try to figure out why it’s a better fit for me? Is a hub an attachment type that allows multiple cans to be used on the same mounting system? If so, that does sound like what I’m looking for! I’m far from married to the idea of making everything fit the KeyMo breaks, it is just that they are what I currently have on everything already in preparation for my Samdman. If I can swap them out for a more universal figment system I’d be very interested in looking into that option.

I haven’t used a DA can, I have a Griffin Recce7, and while it’s not glamorous or the new cool thing, I love it and use it constantly on everything bigger then .22cal. I probably would not dump the can you have today for something that is theoretically better a year from now. A .338 can is 100% gonna be a bit quieter, the quietest can I’ve shot is a custom .338 can with .30cal baffles. But, that .338 can is still too loud to shoot without ear pro.

If you can easily swap things around with your dealer and get the TBAC, that would be awesome and worth checking out. Especially if you could ask the ATF to swap out what they’re approving - never heard of that but the ATF does seem to respond to some suppressor requests.

If it’s gonna be a headache or expensive, I’d keep the can that you have in front of you and enjoy it. The one you got is probably going to be just great.

Also, direct thread pretty much sucks, it’s much better to have a muzzle device for a few reasons. That part is something to probably be appreciative of. If you can use a hub on that can then you should be able to find an adapter to use TBAC brakes with the DA can, if you want a TBAC in the future. Maybe Rearden makes something if nothing else.

Can someone give me an example of a hub can so I can look it up and try to figure out why it’s a better fit for me? Is a hub an attachment type that allows multiple cans to be used on the same mounting system? If so, that does sound like what I’m looking for! I’m far from married to the idea of making everything fit the KeyMo breaks, it is just that they are what I currently have on everything already in preparation for my Samdman. If I can swap them out for a more universal figment system I’d be very interested in looking into that option.
    A hub is a thread adapter that has 1.375-24 threads on one side to screw into the can, and whatever muzzle device system on the other side. I use a Griffin Plan A in a number of cans to use the Griffin taper lock system. Hubs exist for most muzzle device patterns.

Has anyone had any experience with both of these suppressors? What are your thoughts? Which is better at what? Which do you prefer?

-Trent
    Well... The TBAC Magnus is (according to Ray) basically a .30 caliber version of the .338 Ultra Gen2, and I do have one of those. And I have several Sandman-S cans, but not a Sandman-L. However, like was stated by several others, they are 2 VERY different suppressors for very different purposes, and they don't even compare in the same ballpark.

A more appropriate comparison would be the TBAC Magnus-HUB to the Dead Air Nomad-LT. And the answer muddies the waters even more, because they are both VERY close in performance. I have both, and honestly, I can't really hear a volume difference between them.

Your fear of not using KeyMo and then switching later has very recently been squashed... TBAC now offers most of their cans with HUB mounting threads, which would allow you to run a KeyMo Omega device on your TBAC cans.