• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC 9 vs 7

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
Any major difference between the two aside from db reduction due to more length and volume? I'm looking to put it on a .308 with a 24" barrel.

Any major difference between the two aside from db reduction due to more length and volume? I'm looking to put it on a .308 with a 24" barrel.
I have both. Both are great. You just have to decide if you want a 33” barrel on that 308

I have both. Both are great. You just have to decide if you want a 33” barrel on that 308
what about putting a 338SR on a 32" barrel?

if you're looking at the U9 check the Magnus too...will be decently quieter

whats more important? a few inches or a few DB? if it's the latter then is the extra weight of the Magnus worth a few ounces

Wait and get a new TBAC Magnus... Or order a Dead Air Nomad-LT, or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L.

Thank me later.

Wait and get a new TBAC Magnus... Or order a Dead Air Nomad-LT, or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L.

Thank me later.
I thought about ordering a Magnus too. I have a Nomad-30 on my .300 BLK AR. I've never used the other ones you mention. Is there something wrong with the Ultra 7 or 9?

Reactions: kthomas
I thought about ordering a Magnus too. I have a Nomad-30 on my .300 BLK AR. I've never used the other ones you mention. Is there something wrong with the Ultra 7 or 9?
No, nothing wrong with the Ultra series, they're just not as quiet or up to date as the others I mentioned. The only issue I have with the Ultra series is that they are not HUB threads for different mounting system options. The Magnus is, and so is the DA and OCL cans. Personally, I like the ability to adapt, so the universal HUB threads (1.375x24) is a big deal for me. But that's just my preference.

@NiteQwill

I think the Magnus is overkill for a bolt gun. For something like SCAR17 or SR25 it would make more sense. If you don't need something for lots of rapid fire, The Dominus is almost half the weight, much shorter and meters really well. After shooting one I would take it over the ultra series.

Reactions: deersniper
Nothing wrong with Ultra 7 or 9, people love those cans, and for good reasons.

It just depends on what you want to achieve. For maximum suppression, cans with larger volumes will pretty much always trump lesser volume cans in suppression. But that comes at a cost of length and weight.

When you get to the length of an Ultra 9, than a Magnus or similar can is not really any more unwieldy, but with better suppression. It really comes down to determining if you want maximum suppression and 9" of extra length, or really good suppression with 7" of extra length.

Suppression isn't always everything.

Reactions: phantasm
@NiteQwill

I think the Magnus is overkill for a bolt gun. For something like SCAR17 or SR25 it would make more sense. If you don't need something for lots of rapid fire, The Dominus is almost half the weight, much shorter and meters really well. After shooting one I would take it over the ultra series.
Ummm, I think you got that backwards... The Magnus was designed mostly for bolt guns for maximum sound suppression...Which means it will have MORE back pressure. It's a precision rifle can. It will have more back pressure than something like a Dead Air Sandman or something like that, which was made to have low back pressure for gas-operated semi-autos or machine-guns...

I have a Dominus SR, U7, U9 and 338 U. The 338 Ultra is pretty much like a 338 Magnus. It is about 2 inches longer, 3 oz heavier but the same size tube. The difference in noise on my 300WM (24 inch barrel) is noticeable, but, so is the size. All of them work well. Depending on what you're doing (range, hunting...) you have to decide on what you want to deal with. The picture shows the difference in size between a 338U and a U9. The Dominus is on my shorty.

Attachments

• KIMG1492.JPG
    KIMG1492.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 121
I have a Dominus SR, U7, U9 and 338 U. The 338 Ultra is pretty much like a 338 Magnus. It is about 2 inches longer, 3 oz heavier but the same size tube. The difference in noise on my 300WM (24 inch barrel) is noticeable, but, so is the size. All of them work well. Depending on what you're doing (range, hunting...) you have to decide on what you want to deal with. The picture shows the difference in size between a 338U and a U9. The Dominus is on my shorty.

That's a really sizeable difference. Honestly larger by more than I thought.

Im really torn between a G2 338 or magnus

That's a really sizeable difference. Honestly larger by more than I thought.
Even seeing a nomad LT side by side with an ultra 7 is a surprise. Lots of guys pushing biggest can you can buy, but there’s no way in hell I’m carrying that on a rifle I’ll be carrying In the field. I see the giant cans as a specialized product, though I still really want one.

Even seeing a nomad LT side by side with an ultra 7 is a surprise. Lots of guys pushing biggest can you can buy, but there’s no way in hell I’m carrying that on a rifle I’ll be carrying In the field. I see the giant cans as a specialized product, though I still really want one.

That's why it's nice to have a few different cans for different purposes.

I wouldn't want to hunt, or maybe even compete with a Magnus or a 338 Ultra.

Reactions: Lawnboi and CO00Z
7 vs 9 vs Magnus vs 338 Ultra

7 is probably the best hunting can due to compact size, very light weight, and good suppression.
The 338 is the quietest on everything, but the largest
The Magnus is barely louder than the 338 but it's noticeably shorter
The 9 can now be thought of as a "Magnus Lite", in that it's about a third lighter than the Magnus and cheaper, and narrower in diameter, but louder. I believe it is the quietest 1.5" diameter can on the market.

If size and cost are really not an issue, the 338 Ultra Gen2 is the quietest period.
The Magnus doesn't feel much larger than an Ultra 9 on most LR bolt guns, which makes it the obvious choice given its suppression performance (if you won't be shooting 338's)

Reactions: Jnull and kthomas
I'd probably buy a Magnus or U7GII. I use my U7 on 308 and 6.5cm and I'm very happy with it.
I have a dominus in jail and it’s supposed to suppress nearly the same as a 7. I’m going big and quiet so either magnus or G2 338

7 vs 9 vs Magnus vs 338 Ultra

7 is probably the best hunting can due to compact size, very light weight, and good suppression.
The 338 is the quietest on everything, but the largest
The Magnus is barely louder than the 338 but it's noticeably shorter
The 9 can now be thought of as a "Magnus Lite", in that it's about a third lighter than the Magnus and cheaper, and narrower in diameter, but louder. I believe it is the quietest 1.5" diameter can on the market.

If size and cost are really not an issue, the 338 Ultra Gen2 is the quietest period.
The Magnus doesn't feel much larger than an Ultra 9 on most LR bolt guns, which makes it the obvious choice given its suppression performance (if you won't be shooting 338's)
You’re not making it easy when you say things like “The Magnus is barely louder than the 338 but it's noticeably shorter”. I know the 338 is the right answer for its intended purpose but shorter and lighter with nearly the same performance is certainly appealing

Last edited:
You’re not making it easy when you say things like “The Magnus is barely louder than the 338 but it's noticeably shorter”. I know the 338 is the right answer for its intended purpose but shorter and lighter with nearly the same performance is certainly appealing
LOL, I know. Some of our cans ended up very close together in performance due to the timing/year they were released (like the Ultra 7 Gen2 vs. Dominus-CB) and sort-of unintentionally.

But in this case, if I could have only one ** and I was shooting only up to .30 cal ** I would get the Magnus. If 338 was on the menu, 338.

In the CB version the Magnus doesn't add any more length than the Ultra 9. In the SR variant, it's noticeably shorter than the 338 Ultra SR.

A lot is made about port pop and theory, but in the past I've thrown a Gen1 338 Ultra on a MK18 and it was really quiet.... As if it didn't work! It worked awesome, it just doubled the apparent barrel length. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL, I know. Some of our cans ended up very close together in performance due to the timing/year they were released (like the Ultra 7 Gen2 vs. Dominus-CB) and sort-of unintentionally.

But in this case, if I could have only one ** and I was shooting only up to .30 cal ** I would get the Magnus. If 338 was on the menu, 338.

In the CB version the Magnus doesn't add any more length than the Ultra 9. In the SR variant, it's noticeably shorter than the 338 Ultra SR.

A lot is made about port pop and theory, but in the past I've thrown a Gen1 338 Ultra on a MK18 and it was really quiet.... As if it didn't work! It worked awesome, it just doubled the apparent barrel length. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Haha right. Im sure eventually I’ll have both but maybe the magnus is the answer for now.

I’d buy a Dominus and follow up with the Gen2 338. Those two will do everything you’d need. Great hunting/gas gun suppressor and the quietest solution for anything up to 338.

I have a dominus in jail, along with a Helios QD TI and a Hyperion K. I know I should get the 338 for dedicated range guns but Zak’s trying really hard to talk me into a magnus, fully knowing I’ll be forced to buy a 338 later lol.

For a .308, I'd get a Dominus. I have a gen1 Ultra 5 for AR's and my 6 ARC's (bolt & gas), and run the Dominus on the 6.5 Creed and bigger. No complaints, size & weight is very manageable.

The Nomad L is maybe a touch quieter than the Dominus, but it's also longer.

On the Dominus, we really tried to keep it as short as possible and still have good suppression, since it was intended as a battle rifle / MK18 can (the SR mount version). As you can tell from the length of the CB version, the Dominus is basically a 6.25" can and in the SR version it has about 0.75" of mount mechanism to support that secondary retention / lock.

A funny story in the development of the Magnus, I had laid out the Dominus-K-SR, the Dominus-SR, and the 338 Ultra SR on the floor and I asked, Why don't we have something right there between the Dominus-SR and the 338? (which are 4" different in length).

There is a lot that goes on suppression-wise in that 2.75" between the length of the Dominus the length of the Magnus.

For a .308, I'd get a Dominus. I have a gen1 Ultra 5 for AR's and my 6 ARC's (bolt & gas), and run the Dominus on the 6.5 Creed and bigger. No complaints, size & weight is very manageable.

The Nomad L is maybe a touch quieter than the Dominus, but it's also longer.
The Dominus is quiet, but the Nomad-L/LT are noticeably quieter according the TBAC Ray's tests. According to their tests, the only thing quieter than the Nomad-LT is the Magnus & 338 Ultra G2.