• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC bipod-questions for owners

GLG20

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2023
Northeast
For owners of the TBAC bipod, I have a few questions.

-What are your thoughts on the leg extensions if you've used them? Are they a solid lockup that you would be confident using, or something you would avoid if you could?

-Do you think the twist off feet would be prone to coming off and becoming lost in a field or hunting use situation?

-Do you think the non-locking legs could be problematic for hunting use? In other words, do you think they would get caught on brush, branches, etc. and be accidentally deployed?

If there is anyone reading this who uses the Atlas CAL, I have the same question regarding the leg extensions.

I think I've narrowed down my exhausting over-thinking of which bipod to purchase down to the TBAC and the CAL. The TBAC is a very tempting option, but some of the things that seem geared more toward speed in a competition setting (quick deploy legs, quick-change feet) may be a detriment in the field, or maybe not. That's where I'm looking for advice from experienced users.

Any other pros and cons of these two also welcome. I've read literally hours worth of threads already, so a little more won't hurt.

-What are your thoughts on the leg extensions if you've used them? Are they a solid lockup that you would be confident using, or something you would avoid if you could?

-Do you think the twist off feet would be prone to coming off and becoming lost in a field or hunting use situation?

-Do you think the non-locking legs could be problematic for hunting use? In other words, do you think they would get caught on brush, branches, etc. and be accidentally deployed?

If there is anyone reading this who uses the Atlas CAL, I have the same question regarding the leg extensions.

I think I've narrowed down my exhausting over-thinking of which bipod to purchase down to the TBAC and the CAL. The TBAC is a very tempting option, but some of the things that seem geared more toward speed in a competition setting (quick deploy legs, quick-change feet) may be a detriment in the field, or maybe not. That's where I'm looking for advice from experienced users.

Any other pros and cons of these two also welcome. I've read literally hours worth of threads already, so a little more won't hurt.
I’ve used both. Mainly crop damage hunting which is deer for 3 months in farm fields. I now have two atlas cals. Both with hawk hill talons. One with a picatinny mount and the other with the RRS clamp for picatinny and Arca

- I had the TBAC leg extensions. Never really used them. They do have a sloppy feel when on. But if you take up the slack when shooting you won’t notice them. Didn’t really care to carry them for my use. Anything over the regular height I’d switch to my PVA/RRS Anvik tripod. Haven’t used the atlas extensions. Atlas does make a taller cal model though

- Twist off feet have a push and turn release to them. I never felt one would come off. Not to say they can’t but it be rare I would think. If you carry the extension you’d want to be able to remove them easily

- The legs could be deployed if you hooked on something. Much like a Harris. But think it be a non issue for most. The atlas cal won’t deploy

I like the non rotating legs on the atlas cal. When hunting and especially quick shooting the bipod didn’t seem to want to roll away. I know loading correctly it shouldn’t matter but when in a hurry or shooting on a hard or downhill surface I like the fixed feet and talons.

The biggest gripe between the two I had is the notched leg extension on the atlas is on the top of the bipod when deployed. The TBAC is on the bottom. So when set in dirt or mud you’d suck the debri into the leg if you didn’t clean it off. The atlas could open/close while sitting in dirt or mud and have no issue

Speed with the TBAC is slightly fast but for my use it makes no difference. I also prefer the grip and rip extension collars on the atlas vs the TBAC

Reactions: M8541Reaper
- I had the TBAC leg extensions. Never really used them. They do have a sloppy feel when on. But if you take up the slack when shooting you won’t notice them. Didn’t really care to carry them for my use. Anything over the regular height I’d switch to my PVA/RRS Anvik tripod. Haven’t used the atlas extensions. Atlas does make a taller cal model though

The biggest gripe between the two I had is the notched leg extension on the atlas is on the top of the bipod when deployed. The TBAC is on the bottom. So when set in dirt or mud you’d suck the debri into the leg if you didn’t clean it off. The atlas could open/close while sitting in dirt or mud and have no issue
Thanks for bringing up dirt in the legs. I wanted to ask about that as well, but forgot.

If I go with the CAL, I will likely order the taller version as 8-8.5" height is my comfort zone for level, prone shooting. That longer Atlas is right there without having to extend the legs, and then I have the rest of the adjustable range to go higher if I need it.

On the TBAC, I'd be at or near the top end of it's range, with likely little use for anything lower, but possibly needing more height that wouldn't be there without extensions. That's why I asked about them.

I asked about the extensions on the Atlas with the thinking that if I bought the shorter version, I could keep the extensions on it for field use, but also be able to take them off to get low enough to also use it for benchrest shooting in the 90 degree position, rather than having to use the 45 degree setting on the taller one to get low enough. Just seems like a little more versatility, but I'm really drawn toward having the height of the taller model at 90 degrees right in the sweet spot for prone shooting without making a height adjustment.

Like I said...probably over-analysis on my part, but this is what I do. Gotta make a decision soon. Thanks for your input.

I have the extensions but have not had to use them yet. They are a little flimsy feeling when installed, but that goes away when you load it like what was mentioned.

I have never had a foot come off from use, even when in the sand or mud. I have yet to have any sort of failure due to dirt or anything else. I think of it as a much improved Harris. Deploying it is similar, just much nicer and smoother.

I have the Atlas CAL and I like that as well. It's not as fast to deploy, but it is solid and smooth. The leg extensions feel more solid as well.

I think you would be happy with either. You just need to decide if you like to easily deploy the legs or have to push and fold each leg do deploy.

Reactions: GLG20
I have the regular and my BIL who shoots with me has the taller version. On flat ground at the range my regular version is more comfortable for me in lowest setting (6’3” 265). But for field use his is better as I rarely use mine at its lowest setting but do sometimes wish it was higher.

I have the regular and my BIL who shoots with me has the taller version. On flat ground at the range my regular version is more comfortable for me in lowest setting (6’3” 265). But for field use his is better as I rarely use mine at its lowest setting but do sometimes wish it was higher.
Wow. Surprised to hear you're that big of a guy and can shoot the short one in the lowest setting. I think that's only bout 6.5".

I've stacked books at various levels on my living room floor to find the most comfortable height. Did it multiple times, with multiple rifles, and I keep coming in right around the 8" range , with some leeway either way. But at 6.5" I'm really uncomfortable, and even straining my neck a bit to align my eye to the scope. I'm a bigger guy too, but not nearly as big as you! Add in some possible bulky clothing on a cold hunt, and the height might even go up a bit.

The problem for me is that the cutoff between high and low models for a few different brands is right around that 8" range, so I have to decide which way to go.

Wow. Surprised to hear you're that big of a guy and can shoot the short one in the lowest setting. I think that's only bout 6.5".

I've stacked books at various levels on my living room floor to find the most comfortable height. Did it multiple times, with multiple rifles, and I keep coming in right around the 8" range , with some leeway either way. But at 6.5" I'm really uncomfortable, and even straining my neck a bit to align my eye to the scope. I'm a bigger guy too, but not nearly as big as you! Add in some possible bulky clothing on a cold hunt, and the height might even go up a bit.

The problem for me is that the cutoff between high and low models for a few different brands is right around that 8" range, so I have to decide which way to go.
That’s on a AIAT spigot

IMG_2441.png

I traded my atlas cal for tbac I like it a lot. No issues with groups suffering it’s much easier to adjust when in the prone position than the cal. I have the extension but have not actually used them. But the play goes away when loaded playing around with them. I have tbac and ckye pod will probably go ahead and get another cal one day. I’m happy with what I have and I don’t think the extension legs would come off hunting. I haven’t tried the tbac in the mud or snow but no issues on dirt or at the range. The build quality is very nice on the tbac just wish the feet didn’t rotate. I will probably end getting the claws for it.

Last edited:
I trade my atlas cal for tbac I like it a lot. No issues with groups suffering it’s much easier to adjust when in the prone position than cal. I have the extension but have not actually used them. But the play goes away when loaded playing around with them. I have tbac and ckye pod will probably go ahead and get another cal one day. I’m happy with what I have and I don’t think the extension legs would come off hunting. I haven’t tried the tbac in the mud or snow but no issues on dirt or at the range. The build quality is very nice on the tbac just wish the feet didn’t rotate. I will probably end getting the claws for it.
Just for reference we’re the ones who traded the TBAC for Atlas Cal

Everyone has a preference depending what they do

Reactions: K80/6.5
If a person likes the Harris bipods due to the way they deploy and push button leg extension then TBAC will definitely work for them. It’s basically a modern day better built Harris in regards to its functions compared to the atlas

I like the Tbac more. There’s no button to deploy the legs from the stowed position to 90* like there is on the atlas which makes the Tbac faster. Deploying legs out to the extended position is faster with the Tbac because it’s spring loaded. The Tbac is easier to adjust from the prone as well. I haven’t had any issues with mud or dirt, etc. atlas cal is solid but Tbac is a better design.

Reactions: K80/6.5

9-13" for the field is all I use. Any shorter is only good for bench work.

It may be different if you're hunting desert, but here we have grass and harvested fields to hunt.

I also carry a small tube bag filled with get-lite that weighs an ounce or two for rear support.

I measured the height as the rifle is set up in the pic above. Lowest setting on bipod is 9” from ground to center of barrel. Just for reference

I use both and like them both, you can’t go wrong with either. The TBAC is faster to deploy but takes two hands to stow the legs back in unless you use the gun to do it while prone. The CAL is a little more versatile due to its greater range of motion and I like that I can stow the legs back one handed.

The rotating legs of the TBAC have never been an issue for me, they have some resistance to rotation. The feet are not likely to come loose accidentally. I suppose the legs could deploy if you got them hung up on something, but this would allow it to free itself I imagine, versus staying hung up if the legs didn’t deploy. I haven’t yet shot in mud so I can’t comment on if this would affect its function.

I have a buddy who is just getting into shooting and I recommended the CAL to him. I don’t think there are enough advantages of the TBAC to warrant the extra expense. And honestly, they’re just bipods. They both work really well and I can’t tell any difference on target when I use them. Saying that, I couldn’t decide either so I got one of each.

Hope this helps a little.