• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Direct Thread

HawkDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Southeast Ohio
So a few years ago I got a TBAC 30P-1, I had my barrel threaded 5/8x24 by my gunsmith and I had tried it with a few different brakes with no problems. When I screwed the TBAC can on it was fine for a couple trips to the range and then it seized. I had to send the barreled action back to TBAC to have it cut off and the can re-threaded. The blame was placed on the gunsmith even though I was personally present when it was checked for proper TPI. Fast forward to now, I have a custom built .260 Rem and the brake and thread protector are perfect but I tried to screw on the can and it started to bind so I stopped to avoid another costly situation.
My question is, are the TBAC thread specs posted on the website any different from any other standard 5/8x24 threads? it seems strange that I am having the same problems with two different rifles.

They are taken directly from the Machinery's Handbook for class 3A threads. TPI is not the issue; oversized pitch diameter almost always is. Needs to be verified by 3 wire or thread mic with proper insert to verify threads conform

If your Smith is local, bring your can for muzzle fitment next time. My 30p1 is loose generally on my builds

The funny thing is, I've done this twice with perfect results, the sad part is I had to make custom thread protectors as none of my store bought class 3a thread protectors would work,,,,nor my 30ba mount. I've had numerous builds done by GAP, SAC, Gradous etc, all of the muzzles were SLOPPY screwing on my 30p1 YMMV

I would think threads that were too long caused your first binding situation and oversized threads are causing your current problem. I have 3 different tbac 5/8-24 direct thread cans. I'm hesitant to say how many rifles I have have threaded for them, but it's a fairly large number. They each thread on ever barrel just like a micrometer. My threads are cut to the spec.

I have had a 30P-1 for a few years now . Screwed it on three different rifles all threaded by Area 419. No issues. I had three more barrel's threaded by another more local smith
[I use that term very lightly] and got my can stuck. Called TBAC, and mailed them all in to them. To my understanding, The smith put CLASS 2 threads on all the barrels. TBAC fixed the problem. Squared, true, and CLASS 3 THREADING is a must in my book. Thanks ZAC

Many stories of stuck cans start that way. I'm glad it's working out for you, though.

Hey Zach,

Do you recommend using a little copper based anti-seize compound on the threads ? I ask because I had this problem once and it was because the threaded adapter in the can and the barrel were both stainless. Stainless on stainless galls very easily if you look at it crossways and the little bit of anti seize I have been using solved the problem. Granted, I check my can very frequently, but I haven't ever found it to be loose.

This is what I liked about going with the QD mount. Once the brake is mounted, the attachment metal and threads are spec-ed & made by TBAC.