• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC Dominus vs Ultra 7 for hunting

bmicek

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Looking for kind of a do all suppressor but it needs to be lightweight enough for hunting. When I say do all, I mainly mean precision rifle and hunting rifle combo.

The ultra 7 is the no brainer answer everyone knows. But the Dominus is appealing as well. Am I missing something about not having a direct thread option though? I like all the specs of the Dominus more than the Ultra 7 except when you factor in the Dominus needing a brake. The Dominus ends up being 2.4oz heavier. Which isn’t HUGE but when hanging on the end of my 24” pencil barrel Kimber Montana, it can make a slight difference.

Obviously both are excellent cans. I’m just not a fan of needing a brake. Am I overlooking a way to use the Dominus direct thread? I use multiple suppressors so I’d rather not have to take brakes on and off.

DT is a red herring. We can fix a DT insert in a Dominus-CB if you want but mounting on a CB brake is superior.

In general, they suppress the same so for hunting the Ultra 7 is a better choice unless 0.75" in OAL matters a lot.
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m currently using a thread adapter from 7/16x28 (factory Kimber thread) to 5/8x24 on account of barrel diameter. I can already hear you cringing now 😂 I’m aware you aren’t fond of using even 1/2x28 threads on larger caliber rifles and I guess for the record this is a 280ai. But what would my option be for this scenario? I assume either the DT insert with the Dominus, or the direct thread Ultra 7 and use my adapter at my own risk. I realize in no way is this ideal. But my alternative is to just scrap the rifle and get something different or chop the barrel until I can comfortably get it threaded at 5/8x24.

@Zak Smith I've got an ultra 7 DT that I spun off while hot once in a rush to get the gun in the truck. I was a little surprised to see that the DT insert that spun out looked a whole lot like like a CB. I cleaned it really well and high temp loctited it back on and its been good ever since, but the discussion above made me wonder. Is there really any diff between the DT and CB (dominus might be diff) or is it just a CB rock-set into the can itself?

Running it with a CB is effectively a DT setup, you just leave the CB in the can.

I just needed to change my DT U7 threads from 5/8-24 to 3/4-24, so I bought a 30-cal CB brake with 3/4-24 threads. Then I threaded a 5/8-24 jam nut and my U7 onto a factory barrel, tightened up the jam nut (didn’t need to be super tight), torched the can around the threaded insert area for a little bit to break down the high-temp thread locker TBAC puts in there for the DT inserts, and the insert came right out.

Now the can has a 30-cal CB in there, and I can swap between muzzle thread patterns if I need to.

@anotherwannabe The newer ones have the CB NTB (non-timed brake) as the DT insert, I believe. Older cans have an insert that looks like, but isn’t quite, the BA brake.

Reactions: anotherwannabe
sounds like it's time to build a new rifle hahaha
Don’t tempt me lol the sole purpose is it being a super light mountain rifle. It’s currently just over 6lbs scoped. I know to rival that weight I’m gonna be forking out bookoo $$$ for a titanium action to offset the weight of a heavier contour barrel to thread it 5/8x24. Decisions decisions…

Running it with a CB is effectively a DT setup, you just leave the CB in the can.

I just needed to change my DT U7 threads from 5/8-24 to 3/4-24, so I bought a 30-cal CB brake with 3/4-24 threads. Then I threaded a 5/8-24 jam nut and my U7 onto a factory barrel, tightened up the jam nut (didn’t need to be super tight), torched the can around the threaded insert area for a little bit to break down the high-temp thread locker TBAC puts in there for the DT inserts, and the insert came right out.

Now the can has a 30-cal CB in there, and I can swap between muzzle thread patterns if I need to.

@anotherwannabe The newer ones have the CB NTB (non-timed brake) as the DT insert, I believe. Older cans have an insert that looks like, but isn’t quite, the BA brake.
That makes sense. In a sense, you either have the weight of the “direct thread” on the muzzle in the form of a CB mount, or thread locked inside the can. So you never really get away from direct thread necessarily.

@Zak Smith I know I read this in another forum but I can’t find/remember your answer. What’s the bore diameter of the 1/2x28 .223 brake? I didn’t remember it being for 223 only, but maybe I’m wrong. I just read it a few hours ago.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Looking for kind of a do all suppressor but it needs to be lightweight enough for hunting. When I say do all, I mainly mean precision rifle and hunting rifle combo.

The ultra 7 is the no brainer answer everyone knows. But the Dominus is appealing as well. Am I missing something about not having a direct thread option though? I like all the specs of the Dominus more than the Ultra 7 except when you factor in the Dominus needing a brake. The Dominus ends up being 2.4oz heavier. Which isn’t HUGE but when hanging on the end of my 24” pencil barrel Kimber Montana, it can make a slight difference.

Obviously both are excellent cans. I’m just not a fan of needing a brake. Am I overlooking a way to use the Dominus direct thread? I use multiple suppressors so I’d rather not have to take brakes on and off.
If you want a TBAC, get a Magnus HUB (only 14.7 oz, and currently rated the quietest suppressor on the market), and you can run LITERALLY whatever HUB (1.375x24) mount system you want. Even QD stuff like the Dead Air KeyMo, SiCo Omega ASR, Rearden, Area 419, even direct-thread adapters like the Dead Air Nomad-LT titanium 5/8x24 and the Otter Creek Labs DTA ZRO 5/8x24 that allows your can to sit nearly flush, and adds almost zero extra length to the suppressor. 👍🏼

If you're open to other options, I can recommend the 2nd and 3rd place quietest cans on the market personally...As I own both of them. I don't have a Magnus HUB yet, but hopefully someday soon. 😏

My lightweight deer rifle is a custom built Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM that has (had) a 26" Magnum Sportor contour barrel on it, and it has since been cut to 22.5" and threaded 5/8x24, and I've tested all my lightweight centerfire rifle cans on it. Direct-thread is the way to go on a sporter barrel hunting rifle, and it shaves both length and weight off the end of the gun. Currently it wears a Dead Air KeyMo Brake on it, for easy swapping and testing of different suppressors, but once my stamp comes back for my Hydrogen-L I will be running it direct-thread full-time on that rifle, as a SUPER lightweight and quiet setup for deer hunting.

Last edited: