• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC Fly 9 vs Obsidian 9 vs Mod 9, best handgun suppressor?

Sweet Zesty

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2024
USA
Local store has the Fly 9 on sale for $950 near me. I'm looking for the best suppressor primarily used on 9mm handgun. Secondary use on 300 blk, is a plus but not the main purpose. I've read that the Obsidian has great suppression but is quite heavy for a handgun, while the Fly 9 is much lighter and smaller, especially in the K configuration. If the suppression quality of the Fly 9 is similar to the Obsidian (which it is, according to the manufacturer but obviously that's a very biased source), then the Fly 9 seems like the best choice, even with more cost.

I'm also open to other suggestions - the Huxwrx Rad 9 also caught my eye but I can't find much information on how well it suppresses. It's just those seem to be the best available right now and I'm trying to decide which.

In my limited experience, lightness = more reliability with a pistol Neilson piston device.

I have an Obsidian 9 and while it is very nice, if it gets locked up and I can’t open it to clean I can’t pour CLR in it. The CLR will eat the aluminum tube (the SS baffles are pretty impervious).

The Fly9 is all titanium, which shrugs off CLR.

That alone is enough to go for the FLY9.

It sounds like you can use Rugged tri-lug adapters with the Fly9, if you need too. I have that setup for for sub guns and it works very well with the Obsidian.

Last edited:
I have an obsidian 9.

I actually use it primarily on a 10-22 I SBR'd.
It's almost identical in construction to their oculus 22 rimfire can, just bigger. Good for cast lead cowboy loads too.

Performance, however is good but not great.
K config is all I'm willing to actually use on a pistol as pistol cans are kinda weird.

The fly 9 in short actually looks usable, which is nice.

Both is a good choice.

I have an Obsidian 45, and bought it back in 2020 before the TBAC cans were available. It's a great can for the money, and they're typically around $650 at Silencer Shop. The TBAC cans are excellent, too. If I had to do it all over again with both options today, I'd probably get a TBAC Fly45. But both are excellent cans. I'm happy with my Obsidian 45. It's also built like a tank with the 17-4 stainless baffles which clean up really nicely and easily after a short soak in CLR.

Cgs just released the mod 9x at shot. If you're okay with waiting you can wait for some feedback on it.

Check out the silencer summit 2023 results

Screenshotted this.
Screenshot_20240123_082123_Chrome.jpg

When I get a 9 can it is going to be a fly 9. The weight, titanium, and their support here make me want to support Thunderbeast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inline6
Take a look at the Sig ModX-9. It's very light and more configurable as you're able to remove each baffle individually and can run between 2 and 7 baffles. With five baffles, it cycles without the booster on my LTT Elite but I use the booster with Browning action barrels (tilt). It's all titanium except for the mount/booster device and everything is included, direct thread mount, booster, solid spacer and wrenches.

The only downside is it is not rated for 300 blackout.

I have both the Obsidian9 and the Fly 9 (as well as the 45 cal versions of both). Honestly, they perform similarly, but the TBAC cans are much lighter than their Rugged counterparts, and they also present less of a hassle for cleaning due to the all-Ti construction (the flip side of this is that the Obsidian can be taken down to individual baffles).

Based upon this, I'd go with the TBAC pistol cans if the extra cost can be tolerated. If not, the Obsidian pistol cans are solid and will not disappoint. It's nice to have such good options.

Reactions: kthomas
I have both the Obsidian9 and the Fly 9 (as well as the 45 cal versions of both). Honestly, they perform similarly, but the TBAC cans are much lighter than their Rugged counterparts, and they also present less of a hassle for cleaning due to the all-Ti construction (the flip side of this is that the Obsidian can be taken down to individual baffles).

Based upon this, I'd go with the TBAC pistol cans if the extra cost can be tolerated. If not, the Obsidian pistol cans are solid and will not disappoint. It's nice to have such good options.
D’oh! I didn’t realize the Fly9 wasn’t user serviceable. TBAC once went down that route with a rimfire can…didn’t work out for them.

I suppose that construction style saves weight, along with the titanium.

Well, I guess the advantage with TBAC is they’ll do a free cleaning once a year. Of course one can just plug and add clr, but it’s nice to have manufacturer support/effort because cleaning suppressors sucks.

Dangit. I’m tired of reconfiguring my Obsidian between tri-lock and piston and was all set on ordering a Fly9. Maybe I still will.

Now sure if the OP decided on a can yet, but here's my Rugged Obsidian 45 in the K-configuration on my MP5 with 147 subsonics.