• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Fly 9 with a Griffin Cam-Lok or EZ-Lok Piston?

mebgardner

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2024
Arizona
Has anyone used a TBAC Fly 9 with a Griffin CAM-Lok or EZ-Lok Pistons? I would like to know if they fit and function?

I see another method of obtaining these Griffin mounting systems, which is to use their Alpha threaded Booster / Piston complete assemblies (if they fit depth wise), but just a Piston replacement would be the easiest and cheapest thing to replace, if it fits and works.
Edit: Fly 9 does not need, or use, a Booster "Basket" part. A Piston replacement would be the only thing to replace, if it fits and works.

I saw this note at the bottom of the product page for Ecco "BPISTIN" pistons, and thought that I should check to see if someone has tried the Griffin parts on the Fly 9 interface:

"*Note: Though nearly identical and able to install in Griffin boosters, Griffin pistons have a slightly larger flange, so the (Ecco) BPISTIN pattern will be sloppy in them and may cause detrimental misalignment."

Last edited:
I got nothing, but was going to go Cam-lok.

IIRC, the Cam-lok took a little more of reading the manual to understand the little bit more finesse it took to mount, but the mounting was a bit better in some way…

Sorry, not much help, but…

I got nothing, but was going to go Cam-lok.

IIRC, the Cam-lok took a little more of reading the manual to understand the little bit more finesse it took to mount, but the mounting was a bit better in some way…

Sorry, not much help, but…

Yup, me too.

These Griffin CAM / EZ Loc mounting interfaces for handgun are unique. No one else makes a taper mount baked into a piston and booster assembly. They are also extremely fast to get a suppressor mounted to a handgun muzzle device. I really wanted to use these... until I found out that my cans dont have the required 1.55" blast chamber depth available to mount the Griffin HUB Booster Basket to my HUB can. Crap!

Last edited:
I really wanted to use these... until I found out that my cans dont have the required 1.55" blast chamber depth available to mount the Griffin booster to the can. Crap!
Ooohhh didn’t know that. Will they work with a Griffin Obsidian? Obv, since you’re asking, I assume they work with the Fly9.

Ooohhh didn’t know that. Will they work with a Griffin Obsidian? Obv, since you’re asking, I assume they work with the Fly9.

Griffin offers two different Boosters for their (CAM / EZ / Taper) Pistons : One booster in HUB 1.375"x24, which is the only one I have looked at in-depth. That is the one that has the 1.55" BC depth requirement, for sure (as told to me by Griffin CS). They also make an Alpha 1.125"x28 booster (aka "Pistol" booster).

Both of these boosters use the same three different types of pistons, so I'm assuming both the boosters have the same bc depth requirement? I think its a safe bet they do.

If you buy an Obsidian 9 with an Alpha thread, I would believe it is guaranteed to fit. No Question.

(Edit: Rugged Obsidian 9 has a large user base that publish they use the Griffin CAM / EZ Loc system. It appears to fit and function).

As for the Fly 9, I'm asking about just replacing the TBAC supplied piston with the Griffin (CAM / EZ / Taper) piston, and if anyone has actually done this before I dive into the deep end again. TBAC Fly 9 literature indirectly indicates they include Griffin pistons within an industry standard fitment.

This: "The FLY 9 ships with a 1/2-28 piston and a fixed barrel spacer (spring replacement). It is compatible with the Rugged/Griffin/SilencerCo/TBAC standard pistons."

But, then I saw the note under the Ecco website that states right out (not indirectly) that the Griffin Piston Flange is slightly larger than the others.

So, that got my attention, and prompted this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
Griffin offers two different Boosters for their (CAM / EZ / Taper) Pistons : One booster in HUB 1.375"x24, which is the only one I have looked at in-depth. That is the one that has the 1.55" BC depth requirement, for sure (as told to me by Griffin CS). They also make an Alpha 1.125"x28 booster (aka "Pistol" booster).

Both of these boosters use the same three different types of pistons, so I'm assuming both the boosters have the same bc depth requirement? I think its a safe bet they do.

If you buy an Obsidian with an Alpha thread, I would believe it is guaranteed to fit. No Question.

As for the Fly 9, I'm asking about just replacing the TBAC supplied piston with the Griffin (CAM / EZ / Taper) piston, and if anyone has actually done this before I dive into the deep end again. TBAC Fly 9 literature indirectly indicates they include Griffin pistons within an industry standard fitment.

This: "The FLY 9 ships with a 1/2-28 piston and a fixed barrel spacer (spring replacement). It is compatible with the Rugged/Griffin/SilencerCo/TBAC standard pistons."

But, then I saw the note under the Rearden website that states right out (not indirectly) that the Griffin Piston Flange is slightly larger than the others.

So, that got my attention, and prompted this thread.
Man, I really never can escape this hellish step:

…of the Suppressor Stages of Ownership 😢

Reactions: mebgardner
Man, I really never can escape this hellish step:

…of the Suppressor Stages of Ownership 😢

Still, I would say that the mounting ecosystem is so much better today than when I first started buying these many decades ago.

Industry defined standard interfaces did not exist, and when I bought a can, I was stuck with whatever mounting system that can manufacturer supplied, which was usually a very small selection of thread adapters.

The Griffin mounting ecosystem is truly a marvel of development.

The Griffin mounting ecosystem is truly a marvel of development.
Yeah, maybe, but they have a pretty complicated (and invisible to me) flow-chart of what-works-with-what-except-see-subsection-6a sort of labyrinthine going on.

I think it’s a communication problem, not a design problem, that makes me hesitant to buy.

They need a big chart, the kind that KRG specializes in.

Reactions: mebgardner
Yeah, maybe, but they have a pretty complicated (and invisible to me) flow-chart of what-works-with-what-except-see-subsection-6a sort of labyrinthine going on.

I think it’s a communication problem, not a design problem, that makes me hesitant to buy.

They need a big chart, the kind that KRG specializes in.

I am really on-board with your opinion of Very Complicated What Works With What. Really On Board Now.

I circled back around to look at this detail again because I'm very interested in the Griffin CAM / EZ / Taper mounting system.

What I came to understand is the Fly 9 does not need, or use, a "Basket" as part of the Booster. The TBAC website is very clear on what parts the Fly 9 Booster consists of : The Piston, Spring, and Piston Spring Retaining Nut. No Basket. The retaining nut is the part with the Alpha 1.125"x28 thread.

Said a different way, for Fly 9 all that is needed to replace is from the TBAC Piston to the Griffin CAM / EZ / Taper mount piston. If It Fits.

I got confused with the Fly 45. That can has a HUB interface thread at the back. The TBAC picture shows it uses a basket as part of the Booster assembly. A HUB 1.375"x24 threaded basket. so, Blast Chamber depth limitations still do apply to it because of the use of a basket.