• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC HUB mount, help me choose

Vinnie45ACP

Unapologetic Patriot!
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2021
Virginia
I finally decided on the can from my previous post for my AR10, All of you helped tremendously and I finally decided on getting a Magnus HUB, mainly because I got a great deal on it. But now I am trying to figure out what mount I want for it. I don’t have any intentions of removing it from the gun it will be on, it will be permanently mounted on this AR10. I wanted the SR version, but the cost from this one that I got a great deal on compared to the SR, was a massive difference, I wanted the SR version cause it was secure, reliable, accurate, etc.
So what mounting system, I don’t care who makes it or what it is, even DT, if it meets those requirements, I’m happy. I already read and seen bad comments about the ASR mounting option so that is out. Again looking for something solid, reliable, accurate, if I ever do remove it for whatever reason I want no POI issues. Etc.

Last edited:
I don’t have a Magnus HUB but I’ve been using the Q Plan B with two converted AAC cans and have been completely satisfied. It’s definitely a precision application mount, you can remove the can between shots and shoot little groups. The taper before the threads definitely works and is not a gimmick. I was concerned about lack of secondary retention on a gas gun but I’ve gotten it hot burning it down with multiple mags several times with no loosening of the can. Rearden also makes some nice brake mounts that are compatible and a better option than the cherry bomb IMO. They also have their own version of the Plan B that you may want to look into but I haven’t used it.

Reactions: kthomas
If you are not going to remove it, then direct thread is an option. I am a big fan of anything Rearden. Take a look here or here

The Atlas and Atlas XL make great hubs, and you can use a variety of their muzzle devices, and Q Plan B. Or, they have a Direct Thread adapter, which helps with a snug tapered fit.

Reactions: Wall_Element
I'm also a huge fan of Rearden's version of the Plan B/Q system.

This is the most elegant mounting solution, IMO, and the taper in front of threads does work. Rearden's stuff is top notch in quality. While I haven't specifically tested this yet, I haven't noticed any issues in repeatability when removing and mounting suppressors.

While Rearden has lots of different muzzle device options (great for cross platform use), the options for precision rifle use with large contours could be better. Most of their mounts are designed for smaller contour barrels, but I did see that they released the "PRS brake", which is designed for larger contours.

I don’t have any intentions of removing it from the gun it will be on, it will be permanently mounted on this AR10. I wanted the SR but the cost from this one I got a great deal on was a massive difference, I want that cause it was secure, reliable, accurate, etc.

Then you want direct thread. Simple.

Don't add a bunch of adapters in that use case.

If you do get a taper system - Reardon is great. Don't get a system with tapers that doesn't actually use the tapers.

I went through and all of you helped tremendously pick and I finally decided on getting a Magnus HUB, mainly cause I got a great deal on it, like a deal no one could pass up. But now I am trying to figure out what mount I want for it. I don’t have any intentions of removing it from the gun it will be on, it will be permanently mounted on this AR10. I wanted the SR but the cost from this one I got a great deal on was a massive difference, I want that cause it was secure, reliable, accurate, etc.
So what mounting system, I don’t care who makes it or what it is, even DT, if it meets those requirements I’m happy. I already read and seen bad comments about the ASR mounting option so that is out. Again looking for something solid, reliable, accurate, if I ever do remove it for whatever reason I want no POI issues. Etc.

I still maintain my opinion from the other thread you asked about this in...

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP

Interesting. Did not know that existed.

Very similar to the Rex ones I use now. Slightly lighter, seemingly adds a tiny bit more overall length to the system (TINY) and takes a bit more of the internal volume of the suppressor (negligible).

Alternative Rex:
https://www.rexsilentium.com/Low-Profile-Direct-Thread-Mounts-p128974647

Only available in steel. The otter is Ti, but is a few more bucks.

Interesting. Did not know that existed.

Very similar to the Rex ones I use now. Slightly lighter, seemingly adds a tiny bit more overall length to the system (TINY) and takes a bit more of the internal volume of the suppressor (negligible).

Alternative Rex:
https://www.rexsilentium.com/Low-Profile-Direct-Thread-Mounts-p128974647

Only available in steel. The otter is Ti, but is a few more bucks.
Not so much internal room for the OCL mount. It’s pretty much only as deep as standard HUB threads. And it does only add about 1/16” to the OAL, because that lip has to be there, and has to be strong enough to support the can. It’s about as “bare-minimum” as you can get. 👍🏼

I’ve been running one since March on my OCL Hydrogen-L, on my 22.5” 7mmRM, and it’s been excellent. POI shift is virtually non-existent.

Last edited:
Then you want direct thread. Simple.

Don't add a bunch of adapters in that use case.

If you do get a taper system - Reardon is great. Don't get a system with tapers that doesn't actually use the tapers.

A brake is one more adaptor that also serves as a sacrificial blast baffle helping the life of the can. Not to mention a direct thread can being left on and only removed for cleaning is often a bitch to get off.

Muzzle brake suppressor mounts are the way to go.

A brake is one more adaptor that also serves as a sacrificial blast baffle helping the life of the can. Not to mention a direct thread can being left on and only removed for cleaning is often a bitch to get off.

Muzzle brake suppressor mounts are the way to go.
I don't disagree, depending on use case and user requirements.

I use the TBAC muzzle brakes with all my TBACs for that reason - universally so on my precision setups now.

For other builds that are meant to be as lightweight as possible - I do not.

OP stated no such requirement. I use direct thread when those are my own requirements. DT can be a perfectly good setup.

One thing to keep in mind with direct thread, is that you are relying on two shoulders to be perfectly concentric and mate up with each other. There isn't much allowance for tolerances.

Two shoulders that don't mate up properly with each other could mean the suppressor may have a tendency to walk loose.

If you are using a top gunsmith and high quality parts, this shouldn't be an issue. But it can be an issue.

One thing to keep in mind with direct thread, is that you are relying on two shoulders to be perfectly concentric and mate up with each other. There isn't much allowance for tolerances.
No matter what - you are relying upon two surfaces to mate and result in concentricity. Universally true regardless of the system.

The more adapters you add, the more surfaces you need to be all completely concentric to each other for a good result. with each additional adapter, the risk rises exponentially.

No system eliminates this.

Reactions: kthomas
No matter what - you are relying upon two surfaces to mate and result in concentricity. Universally true regardless of the system.

The more adapters you add, the more surfaces you need to be all completely concentric to each other for a good result. with each additional adapter, the risk rises exponentially.

No system eliminates this.

That's true, especially if it's off enough that baffle strikes become a concern. I'm not a huge fan of stacking like that, especially if it can be avoided.

However, if the brake is "permanently" installed and there's no issue with baffle strikes, then you are good for the life of that barrel.

But when you rely on two shoulders for mounting every time you shoot, that problem comes into play every time.

No matter what system you go with, you are making a compromise.

I did get this one tentatively, but while I wait for it while it is in jail, I figure I can still keep researching and if need be change my mind if I find something else better, chasing the perfect fit. A lot of great discussion which has me definitely on the fence with this one or the Xeno system from Dead air.

Reactions: FuhQ