• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultra 7 ?

bgavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
Probably dumb question but first suppressor.

When I take my suppressor off my brake the carbon build up on the sides of the brake makes it difficult to get off. Not that it won’t come off but I feel it grabbing and it’s not smooth.

Is that normal?

What are you shooting it on? And how many rounds before you get this experience?

I've not shot mine a ton, but I don't get that much carbon after a couple hundred in a bolt rifle.

6.5 creedmoor and 224 Valkyrie bolt guns

about 50 rounds

6.5 creedmoor and 224 Valkyrie bolt guns

about 50 rounds

That does seem odd. I would also add that I use some Hornady one shot cleaner/dry lube/whatever else on mine before I spin the can on. Maybe that's doing more than I thought. I use some food grade 2200 degree anti-seize on the threads to keep them trouble free. I don't lick it off, even though it's food safe though. My Marine buddy, however, was definitely headed that way before I stopped him.

That does seem odd. I would also add that I use some Hornady one shot cleaner/dry lube/whatever else on mine before I spin the can on. Maybe that's doing more than I thought. I use some food grade 2200 degree anti-seize on the threads to keep them trouble free. I don't lick it off, even though it's food safe though. My Marine buddy, however, was definitely headed that way before I stopped him.

Thanks

Ill give that a try

Yes, very common. Brush it off every so often and you’ll be good to go

(y)

Thanks guys

Just making sure being my first one. Love it so far.

Got a 338 ultra on the way now.

As someone who shoots more than he cleans (that is to say, I hardly ever clean), I will say that if you shoot a BA/CB mount without cleaning it at all, ever, eventually there will be a day where you shoot maybe a couple hundred rounds and it will be VERY hard to get off.. and you may have to use the "deadblow" hammer technique to break up some internal carbon to get it off. To avoid this, if you just brush it off whenever the brake itself starts to look "chunky", you can substantially avoid it.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
As someone who shoots more than he cleans (that is to say, I hardly ever clean), I will say that if you shoot a BA/CB mount without cleaning it at all, ever, eventually there will be a day where you shoot maybe a couple hundred rounds and it will be VERY hard to get off.. and you may have to use the "deadblow" hammer technique to break up some internal carbon to get it off. To avoid this, if you just brush it off whenever the brake itself starts to look "chunky", you can substantially avoid it.
Do you have a favorite product for eating this carbon? Any finish compatibility issues to be aware of? I'm all about pink on some things, but the rifle brake isn't one of them.

I soak my CB brake in CLR for about 10 minutes and the carbon wipes right off. Just put the barrel muzzle-down in a solo cup and fill it up til the CLR covers the brake. Zero elbow grease required.

Reactions: Mudmarine