• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC Ultra 9, Am I missing something here?

BuckeyeLeadslinger

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
I know this has been discussed and beat this old horse to death and back. I’m in the market for a new can for my new rifle build. I do not compete and shoot for a hobby and enjoyment of reloading. I’m looking at TBAC Ultras especially the 9 in 6.5. I dont shoot anything but 6mm and 6.5mm’s so 30cal is off the table. I have read about every thread on here about the pros and cons of the 9 vs 7. Is 2 inches and 2 oz’s really that much of a burden on the end of a rifle that is already a long and weigh 14lbs? I know all the competition dudes run the 7 but for someone who isnt racing the clock would it matter? The real world shooters ear db’s that much or that little to not warrant the 9? At 9in on the end of a 26in barrel doesnt seem much compared to my pistol cans that are 8in off the end of a 4-5in barrel. I already have a DA Nomad Ti for my gas guns. Any feedback from users would be helpful in helping me decide. Mainly shooting prone and off the bench. Sometimes we shoot positional but that is definitely the minority.

I bought the nomad-L for the same reasons: more dB reduction is better

I run the ultra 9 for target and hunting. I have never wished I opted for the 7 vs the 9 for MY type of shooting. The 9 will be a touch less noise. But moving from a 26” barrel to a 20” barrel etc will alter the noise at your ear as well

Most guys shooting comps where the rifle is moved around more will opt for the shorter configuration. Where guys who throw the gun on a bench, prone out or hunt in open fields etc don’t mind the additional weight/length and take advantage of the small few decibel gain on the 9

Personally after sitting next to many different cans and running several of my own I’m sure you’d be happy with either. Personally the length of the 9 works well for me

I also wouldn’t throw the 30 cal option off the table. It opens the doors to more options in the future for 284/308 cals

I believe a 30 cal ultra 9 would be close in DB reduction to a 6.5 ultra 7. But that’s just a guess

I bought the nomad-L for the same reasons: more dB reduction is better
I understand it doesn't effect accuracy, I’m asking if 2oz and 2inches of the 9 is that noticeable that guys go for the 7 over the 9. Why not go full length to get the most reduction of db and recoil.

I understand it doesn't effect accuracy, I’m asking if 2oz and 2inches of the 9 is that noticeable that guys go for the 7 over the 9. Why not go full length to get the most reduction of db and recoil.

It’s all about compromise

In that case why not go ultra 338 if your wanting ultimate suppression

Bigger/longer can = more suppression (generally) but it also gives up length/weight

It’s all about compromise

In that case why not go ultra 338 if your wanting ultimate suppression

Bigger/longer can = more suppression (generally) but it also gives up length/weight
I fully get that, but we are talking 2inches and 2oz difference. If it was 10oz diff and 6in it would be a no brainer. Its just hard for me not to justify the 9 and max suppression over the 7 for 2 meazly inches and couple oz’s.

F7061C25-AB86-4B7C-B839-3A5E28FB34A7.jpeg
I put this guy together for belly shooting and hunting. 20” 6.5 with 338ultra is silly quiet. I originally ran it with a silencer co harvester and it was meh.

Ultra 9 vs ultra 7 I’m with you that the 9 is where it’s at. I know you mentioned not wanting to go larger than 6 or 6.5, but why not have the ability to do so should you wish to in the future? My first can was a SRT arms hurricane ti 223 and pretty quickly it lead to 30cal and 338 cans.

Thats a beaut Clark! Yeah I’m pretty much gearing towards the Ultra9. Get the most out of the performance of the can. I havent owmed a 30 cal in prob 10yrs. If I ever get a 30cal magnum i would prob buy the 338 but really have no plans at this time.

I fully get that, but we are talking 2inches and 2oz difference. If it was 10oz diff and 6in it would be a no brainer. Its just hard for me not to justify the 9 and max suppression over the 7 for 2 meazly inches and couple oz’s.

Which is exactly why I went with the ultra 9. I think you’ll find the 9 to be excellent for your uses

Reactions: lash
I have had a 9” can on my 26” barrels in comps for years. That extra 2” doesn’t mean anything and those that think they are too long for a Comp gun have bigger issues than a long suppressor.

Also, regarding the comments about loss of noise reduction for using a .30 cal can vs a 6.5; if you do your research, you’ll find out the the amount of noise reduction you lose is so minimal as to not matter. It certainly is not equally to the amount of noise reduction you lose by going to a 2” shorter can. That’s a common misunderstanding.

I have had a 9” can on my 26” barrels in comps for years. That extra 2” doesn’t mean anything and those that think they are too long for a Comp gun have bigger issues than a long suppressor.

Also, regarding the comments about loss of noise reduction for using a .30 cal can vs a 6.5; if you do your research, you’ll find out the the amount of noise reduction you lose is so minimal as to not matter. It certainly is not equally to the amount of noise reduction you lose by going to a 2” shorter can. That’s a common misunderstanding.
You know reading through all these threads that guys go for the 7 because of weight and length. Im sitting here like wtf? Lol🤣 2oz’s and 2in is that big of a deal? Thanks for a honest opinion from a comp shooter’s perspective. Im placing my order today. Hell leaving change in your pocket from the gas station could total 2 oz’s!

Reactions: lash
EB2D9411-FBF0-4106-9498-761A7C01E9B2.png

Here is the DB comparison for the TBAC Gen 2’s. I ended up going with the 7” after spending an hour in the silencer shop holding and comparing the 7”, 9”, Ultra, and Dominus. I know 2 inches is 2 inches, but the size of the 9” can is considerably larger than the 7”. That’s why I went with the 7” in the 30 cal.

You know reading through all these threads that guys go for the 7 because of weight and length. Im sitting here like wtf? Lol🤣 2oz’s and 2in is that big of a deal? Thanks for a honest opinion from a comp shooter’s perspective. Im placing my order today. Hell leaving change in your pocket from the gas station could total 2 oz’s!
It just depends on your usage. For belly shooting it doesn’t matter. For hiking with a short barreled rifle or SBR, or hunting from a tree stand, every extra inch you add takes away from the whole idea of the short barrel. I chose the 7 because I could not get both the 5 and 9 at the same time. It’s a great compromise.

Reactions: Holliday
I have an Ultra 9 for both hunting and The range. I just ordered the 7 for hunting. My personal preference for hunting is, the shorter the better. I have shot Antelope out to 638 yards.

To get a shorter package on my 30-06 I rebarreled it into a 20” 280AI which made up the difference using the same 168 Berger VLD-hunting bullet. The 7 mm version having a higher BC.

DF912FE1-CA3D-40C5-A70C-A140097640BA.jpeg

On another note, I hear what you are saying about 30 cal but I will make the case that since “cans” are such a long term investment, I opt for the larger bore, simply to have the option to use it on more guns. Tastes and circumstances change over time, and my understanding is that the sound savings is really not that much of a deal. If I decide to hunt in grizzly country here in Wyoming, a 300 win mag will be gtg.

Good luck with your choice......

Quiet Riot Firearms, I literally went through the entire dealer list calling and made it all the way to Q! Lol. They have more 9’s in stock both 6.5 and 30.

The difference in DB between a 6.5 and .30 cal bore is negligible. Makes no sense to severely limit the versitlity of a high cost, long wait time item that will last virtually forever.
Too late for regret, I already purchased the 6.5, I don't own a single 30cal and I have a Nomad Ti if needed. This will be on my 6mm and 6.5mm bolt guns.

Haha. Reading this about 2" and 2 oz not a big difference..... What's even a lesser difference (db wise) is a 30 cal version vs 6.5 caliber version yet it made that much of a difference to you that you had to go with a much more restrictive caliber choice.

Reactions: tex68w
Haha. Reading this about 2" and 2 oz not a big difference..... What's even a lesser difference (db wise) is a 30 cal version vs 6.5 caliber version yet it made that much of a difference to you that you had to go with a much more restrictive caliber choice.
It’s not restrictive if you dont have a need for 30cal bore size.

I hear ya. I'd agree with you more if it didn't take months to get a suppressor out of jail. On the other hand you have another 30 cal suppressor so less if an issue if you do need to shoot something larger than 6.5 on a whim.

Reactions: BuckeyeLeadslinger
If it's a hobby gun, I would go for making it nice & quiet. I generally run shorter cans for work because of the weight & maneuverability aspects. In your case, I would absolutely go for making the whole shooting experience more pleasant, ESPECIALLY if you might be looking to introduce new people to shooting.

I've gotten to the point that I very much prefer to shoot suppressed rifles. Even something like a SF Mini or an Allen Engineering M1 or M2 will make a huge difference compared to a bare muzzle.

I went with the Ultra 7 .30cal for use with my 308/6.5/6. I considered the 6.5 can as I shoot more 6.5 than anything and I already have three .30cal QD cans but in the end the difference is negligible between the 6.5 and .30 version and the .30 opens more doors to usability with my caliber selection and/or buddies who might want to give the can a whirl. If all I were gonna do is lay out prone ringing steel all day with a 24-26" rifle then I'd probably lean towards the 9" can but for a do-all I found the 7" can to fit my needs/use best.

Reactions: lash and Holliday