• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC Ultra selection for short light hunting rifle

XTREM HTR16

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2011
    Indiana
    So, going to build a lightweight 25 creed for hunting antelope and mule deer.
    22" Bartlein CFW #4 barrel.
    Trying to determine if I should just use my 6.5 Ultra 7 gen 1, or spring for the new 6.5 Ultra 5 gen 2.
    @Zak Smith what is the sound difference between the two? I used to have a comparison chart of all your Ultra's but can't find it any longer.
    Thanks

The gen 2 is about 2 ounces lighter and 2 db quieter than your gen 1. Not sure its worth it for that. But if you just want another can…

Im a big fan of the ultra 5’s, and I think theyre THE can for a hunting gun. I have a gen 1 and gen 2, both 6.5’s. Very happy with them.

Does the can have to be a TBAC? Or are you open to other precision ultralight titanium rifle cans? This will be much quieter than an Ultra-5...

Run this can (9.5 oz) direct-thread with this mount (1.2 oz), and it adds no length to the can, and virtually no weight. This is one super impressive can and lightweight setup. I've had mine since March, and it sounds amazing on my .260 Rem and .308 Win, which are both around the same case size as the .25CM you're building. It also is the best all-around .300 BLK can I've tested. POI shift is pretty much non-existent when shooting with and without the can. And group sizes were not affected in any negative way.

Last edited:
    While your Ultra 7 is probably more than capable for the task, if you have the itch for a new TBAC can, I would spring for the Dominus.
    Would the Dominus be quieter than a 6.5 Ultra 7 gen 1 or a 6.5 Ultra 5 gen 2?

Would the Dominus be quieter than a 6.5 Ultra 7 gen 1 or a 6.5 Ultra 5 gen 2?
    The Dominus is a larger volume can to the Ultra 5, while utilizing the same generation of baffle technology. The Dominus will/should be quieter.

It's also probably quieter than a Gen 1 Ultra 7, but I'll let @Zak Smith speak to that.

The Dominus is a larger volume can to the Ultra 5, while utilizing the same generation of baffle technology. The Dominus will/should be quieter.

It's also probably quieter than a Gen 1 Ultra 7, but I'll let @Zak Smith speak to that.
    Thanks, that's what I'm trying to find. I have the Dominus and the 6.5 Ultra 7 gen 1. Just didn't know if the 6.5 Ultra 5 gen 2 would be quieter. If it's only a decibel or two, that's not enough to justify buying the 5.

Reactions: kthomas
    If I had a "short" hunting rifle with a 22" barrel and an itch for a new suppressor, the Ultra 5 looks damn attractive. With the premise that hunting guns are carried a lot and shot very little, I'd gladly take the ~4 oz weight savings and 2" length reduction, even if it was a couple dB louder than your current Gen1 U7 can.

Reactions: CaptArab
    Yea I'd whack it back to ~18" and do an ultra 5 or maybe consider an ab suppressors reflex.

My 20" guns feel too long for me with a 6" can.

I'd run a ballistic calculator and get the minimum expansion velocity for my self imposed range limits, then cut as short as possible. A 16" 6.5 with the right bullet is nearly 600 yards.

Last edited:
    I have a 18" PRC with the 7" Ultra gen 2 on it. Feels just about right for balance and all around hunting usefulness.

With hunting applications, I think that all cans have the first round "pop" that is typically a few decibels higher than the subsequent rounds. I thought I also read somewhere that a few decibels is fairly undetectable to the human ear so it may not be worth it to get the "quieter" can.

I don't think you would notice much difference between your ultra 7 and a gen 2.

Might change my order to a 20" barrel. Probably wouldn't sacrifice that much velocity...
    You could always drop it down to 16" and run a longer quieter full-size can, like a 7"-9" for maximum DB reduction. You will have to work up a load for it anyway, so modifying your powder choice might be necessary to achieve maximum results in the shorter barrel.

You could always drop it down to 16" and run a longer quieter full-size can, like a 7"-9" for maximum DB reduction. You will have to work up a load for it anyway, so modifying your powder choice might be necessary to achieve maximum results in the shorter barrel.

Maximum sound suppression isn't everything, especially for a rifle that isn't going to get shot much.

My vote is to stick the Dominus the OP already owns on the rifle. Spending another $1000+ on an Ultra 5 that's only ~1.25" shorter and 3 ozs lighter doesn't seem like a great investment. The Dominus is perfect for this purpose and is a great can.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check with TBAC and confirm that the suppressor can handle the pressures at the barrel length you want.

Silencer fiends: Yeah, 132 dB at shooter's ear is nice, but if you spend $1100 on the latest hotness you could get down to 129 dB.

Fudds who have been blasting at deer with a 170 dB .30-'06 for a half-century: WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?!?

Silencer fiends: Yeah, 132 dB at shooter's ear is nice, but if you spend $1100 on the latest hotness you could get down to 129 dB.

Fudds who have been blasting at deer with a 170 dB .30-'06 for a half-century: WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?!?
    Well, considering that 5" can will still be over 140DB, and one of the 8-9" cans can get you down in the 120's... I'd say that's worth it. 20+ DB is a huge jump in performance, and worth the investment, IMO.

The Dominus (CB or SR) meters a little quieter than a Gen1 Ultra 7. Pretty much exactly the same as a Gen2 Ultra 7.

The Dominus baffles are different from the Gen1 Ultra baffles, so if we want to be precise, I am not sure if saying they are the same generation is accurate. We had to jam a lot more baffles in the same length in the Dominus vs the Ultra so the structure is different. We still on the first generation of Dominus baffles in any case

Reactions: kthomas