• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Kestrel Killer?

1706121293321.png

On the website. I signed up to get in line we shall see

From the description.... it looks like it took a very long time to incorporate a wind meter onto a phone and delete the phone app.
For Android.
As @MarinePMI said, 4 years late.
Lets hope their shipping department is quicker than their R&D.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I think the entire shooting community would be delighted to see Garmin v Kestrel

Between the Tactix, Foretrex, & GNX/gWind, Garmin has experience w/ all of the hardware & software... frankly I'm a little surprised they haven't gotten into the game already.

Garmin is pretty smart company. I think they realize that crushing Labradar was quite a bit easier market than Kestrel. One was a knife to a gun fight......the other would likely be more even ground (as far as being able to do what they were able to with their chrono).

Yeah, I think that’s definitely right.

However, in light of Garmin’s success there, I imagine (hope) their interest weather/ballistics handhelds has only increased

I dont doubt at all, that a marketing person at garmin has had a meeting about taking on kestrel, and one of the design engineers was in that meeting, and its a passion-project for him.. really wants to get the green light.
The accountant in that meeting was the real wet blanket. Project cost, time, R&D investment VS ROI, market penetration, scheduled update and associates dev costs (ongoing cost that eat into profits), etc..

I actually expect garmin has a bluprinted path, and a non-physical concept; potentially a very rough physical prototype (POC, proof of concept). Basically a 4 times larger than it needs to be, purely for software dev, (think "bench test mule") and probably some cad / eagle PCB designs for a nice production release.. but thats as far as it will progress for the forseeable future until that bean-counter can be convinced, and the software can be polish to be robust.

It will aslo be ip67 rated to 50m, even with the humidity sensor, usb rechargable / power, and be bluetooth connectable to a base station or smart device (extra unit / upgrade) for remote viewing. Like incar dashboard, or if you mount it like a weather vane to your house roof, or shooting range, so can view at the the line.

Last part is a wish list. Pay attention garmin.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastShot300
I dont doubt at all, that a marketing person at garmin has had a meeting about taking on kestrel, and one of the design engineers was in that meeting, and its a passion-project for him.. really wants to get the green light.
The accountant in that meeting was the real wet blanket. Project cost, time, R&D investment VS ROI, market penetration, scheduled update and associates dev costs (ongoing cost that eat into profits), etc..

I actually expect garmin has a bluprinted path, and a non-physical concept; potentially a very rough physical prototype (POC, proof of concept). Basically a 4 times larger than it needs to be, purely for software dev, (think "bench test mule") and probably some cad / eagle PCB designs for a nice production release.. but thats as far as it will progress for the forseeable future until that bean-counter can be convinced, and the software can be polish to be robust.

It will aslo be ip67 rated to 50m, even with the humidity sensor, usb rechargable / power, and be bluetooth connectable to a base station or smart device (extra unit / upgrade) for remote viewing. Like incar dashboard, or if you mount it like a weather vane to your house roof, or shooting range, so can view at the the line.

Last part is a wish list. Pay attention garmin.
Duder, that was an Apocalypse Now-like psychogenic fugue state fever dream of a post, man 🥵

1706923718755.jpeg

With enough covfefe, i can see the future. That or ive been in enough of those sorts of meeting and situations.
Yeah, I’ve been around meetings like that as well. Nothing like watching sausage being made!

Reactions: iceng