• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision TCAD - Thermal Aiming Device ( Thermal Laser Ptr )

cj7hawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Western Australia, Australia
Ok, this is just a summary of some news I posted on another forum, but thought a crosspost here might be of interest.

Seems that the US .MIL has developed a new toy - the TCAD - or Thermal Collimated Aiming Device.

This will replace the AN/PEQ2A and can be seen by the Clip On Night Vision Device - Thermal ( CNVD-T ) and other thermal viewers out to 1000m and is intended for identifying targets ( human ) and will be used by USSOCOM.

From the description -
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TCAD development shall provide an out-of-band pointer solution to Special Operations Forces (SOF) operators. The TCAD, when mounted on a MIL-STD-1913 rail, will allow SOF operators to accurately fire on enemy targets in combat at ranges from 200 meters to 1000 meters while reducing risk of detection. The pointer is not detectable using near infrared (NIR) cameras and tube-based goggles.</div></div>

That means that;

a) It's a laser.
b) It's operating at LWIR - ie, 8 to 16 micron.
c) It can't be detected with NVGs or NODs or even SWIR/MWIR cameras.
d) You can't spot the beam even if it's on you and you probably can't feel it either unless you're undressed and even then it's questionable as to whether you would realise you were being targetted.
e) You can't see the beam even if you're using thermal NODs.
f) It's pretty damn cool. ( Yeah actually, it's hot.. Get it? )

At 1000m, this little device will leave a mark just 12" across...

So, I know the question has come up before and it's always been "There are no target designators for thermals"...

Think again...

Sometimes technology really surprises me. This is one of those times.

Regards
David.

Reactions: TheHorta
Re: TCAD - Thermal Aiming Device ( Thermal Laser Ptr )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pics? </div></div>

Unfortunately no.
frown.gif

But as soon as I find some, I'll post them -
smile.gif

Regards
David

Laser max had a contract to work on the idea ... it seems like it is coming along ...

this is the heavy weapon version

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/defense.lasermax.com\/portals\/4\/mwal.jpg"}[/IMG2]

==

there are several different versions .. this is the "carbine" version ...

ctal.jpg

==
Here is a beacon version

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/defense.lasermax.com\/portals\/4\/beacon.jpg"}[/IMG2]

==
And there is the handheld version

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/defense.lasermax.com\/portals\/4\/mhm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

==
On the laser max website, the beacon and handheld versions show a price of $60k. The weapons mountable versions show a price of "P.O.R."

==
Anyway, it does look like the project is moving along ... well actually more like DONE for the original scope.

http://defense.lasermax.com/Products.aspx

Last edited:
The thermal lasers are still out there on laser max defense website, just like they were 5 years ago ...

Looks like those units work in the 3-5 micron range, which is very interesting. Having spent zero time behind a cooled system, I always wondered if the added detail of the cooled system resulted in a trade off of detection.

Sad another way, if you don’t have your LWIR calibrated correctly for given atmospherics, you get a ton of detail but the living creatures don’t pop as much (more white or black hot readings). So I wonder if these lasers are meant for LWIR users to designate to the MWIR guys to investigate with a higher level of resolution?

Keep clicking on that site. Download the specsheet for the carbine laser, has both LWIR and MWIR models.

Reactions: rlsmith1