• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report TDS Recon and what software???

ViperACR

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I am thinking of buying a Recon and putting the Horus software on it. Has anyone used this or is there a better software package for the Recon? I have used the older Horus with a palm pda but I keep breaking or somehow killing the palms. Looking for good advise on something you have personally used. Thanks all.

Re: TDS Recon and what software???

My personal preferance for a working sniper is Field Firing Solutions. It is the most feature rich package available, but still easy to use with a clean user interface and a reliable method of tuning the software to match the actual downrange results.

I just got the Horus atragmx for my recon. You have to tell them you have a recon so the "chip" will fit. It's pretty cool software. I'm going out this weekend to give it some long range work. the cool thing with the recon it doens't have to load up with your computer it goes righ in the top after you take a few screws out and fits in one of the slots on top (you cant see it until you take the screws out) I also have the Night fore in my recon as well.

I'm running Loadbase by Patagonia on my Recon 400. Works well. I had the pleasure of talked to Lindy at RO when I was down there in Feb for the Hide Basic class, and may pick up a copy of FFS too. I have a GPS chip for mine and the GPS targeting feature in FFS sounds pretty cool!

Then maybe I can get Lindy to give me the coordinate for all the UKD berms for my next trip to RO. : )

Jim

skibum doe the gps fit on the top in one of the slots? I'm guessing you take the top cover off and replace it with the gps module?

Jimmy,
Yup, the GPS I have is a Holux CF Card type that goes in one of the CF Card slots in the top. It is pretty long, so you have to run the Recon extended cap for it. I have heard the Recon with the plug in GPS is actually better than the new Ranger with the built in unit because the CF card model's antenna sticks up out of the unit, whereas the Ranger has an internal antenna(coming from a guy I talked to that had sold his Recon for the Ranger).

Jim:

Bring some really good single-malt scotch, and we'll chat...
laugh.gif

Jim:
I know for a fact that Lindy likes McCallan 25 year old scotch! I even have some left!

Sounds good Lindy. Missed shooting with you at the May class. Hope to see you in the Fall if my schedule allows.

Jim

Where is the best place to buy a Recon and what is a fair price? Also is the 200 MHZ ok, or should I buy the 400MHZ? I will be using it for shooting mainly.

I bought mine on e-bay when they were running a 20% off deal with Paypal. Original price was $500 BIN and I got it for $400. It was a demo model with Bluetooth and WiFi. If you keep an eye out you can usually find a deal if you are patient. There are a lot of ways to run a ballistic program cheaper though. I was going for the cool factor!

That is a good deal as to what I am finding they are about $950 NIB and that is the best deal on a 400MHZ. I dont know if I really need a 400 MHZ or if a 200 MHZ would be just as good for what I want. I agree that there is a cool factor but I also have broke 3 Palms and that is getting expensive also. I have noticed that water even a little doesnt do them any good.

I found a factory refurbished one off ebay for 500 as well. Run FFS on it, love the simplicity of the interface, and more importantly, you don't have to become a frickin' ballistician to dial it in... would highly recommend the FFS FWIW.

+1 on the FFS.. I use it on my TDS with the GPS and its worked great...

J

Patagonia has to use Mobile 5 and if I am not mistaken the 200 can not be updated to that. Correct me if I am wrong.