• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teach Me About "Tactical" Lever Guns

FourT6and2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I'll admit to finding these newer tactical lever guns to be pretty cool. I just found out about Mad Pigs Thumpers built on the Marlin 1894, 1895, and 336 platforms or Henry Repeaters. Are there any other companies I should look at that do these kinds of tactical conversions? Honestly, I just think they look rad. I'm not too concerned with viability as a real service/use rifle. Just something cool to add to the collection.

Also, I've never owned a lever action. So what's a general breakdown on the most popular platforms?

cr=t:0%25,l:0%25,w:100%25,h:100%25

Personally I like 'em.

Red dot - Good!
Adjustable stock for better cheek weld - Good!
Easier Optics mounting in General - Good!

I'm not so worried about the Forend personally, think the butt stock is the real advantage.

Scrummy

Terrible.

Waiting on the next bullshit fad. Perhaps tactical, single action revolvers with stupid grips, ported bbls, and skulls. Definitely skulls.

If you like these, you're going to love tactical black powder pistols.

Think captain blackbeard meets Judge Dredd. Sometimes the smoke makes it hard to see, so the lasers are the most obvious choice. I keep cutting myself on the bayonets though, so it makes carrying them concealed a real issue.

If you like these, you're going to love tactical black powder pistols.

Think captain blackbeard meets Judge Dredd. Sometimes the smoke makes it hard to see, so the lasers are the most obvious choice. I keep cutting myself on the bayonets though, so it makes carrying them concealed a real issue.

Hell yeah.

Take this and put an X300U on it, a laser, and a red dot.

IMG_0009.jpeg

And some fucking Punisher skulls.

Yeah I’m not sure what the tactical stock is buying a guy on a lever gun. Just get the wood stock cut down to what fits, put a rail on top with a red dot, and get the muzzle threaded. Then spend the money you save on a nice action job.

Terrible.

Waiting on the next bullshit fad. Perhaps tactical, single action revolvers with stupid grips, ported bbls, and skulls. Definitely skulls.

It's strange that there's no middle ground, we have traditional wood stocks and these cringey purposeless skeleton stocks, but an almost total lack of quality, (or even just okay) synthetic stocks. Which is odd since pretty much every company, when they want to make their bolt action rifle cheaper, pumps out some shitty/ugly plastic stock.

tacticalderringer.jpg

Reactions: DJL2
Yeah I’m not sure what the tactical stock is buying a guy on a lever gun. Just get the wood stock cut down to what fits, put a rail on top with a red dot, and get the muzzle threaded. Then spend the money you save on a nice action job.

in the case of my Marlin, the Chisel stock gets you more weight (a good thing on a 45-70), the ability to mount a quiver, adjustable cheek piece (both height and cast), ability to adjust LOP, and it looks cool. Muzzle comes threaded from factory. And the new fore-end gives you a better purchase of the rifle. I'm tall and the stock handguard was way too short on this toy of a rifle.

There is no "money you save" after getting wood work done on a lever gun. "Tactical" stocks are cheaper and faster (bolt on and go).

Wood looks significantly better though.

y7Rq2JB.jpg

in the case of my Marlin, the Chisel stock gets you more weight (a good thing on a 45-70), the ability to mount a quiver, adjustable cheek piece (both height and cast), ability to adjust LOP, and it looks cool. Muzzle comes threaded from factory. And the new fore-end gives you a better purchase of the rifle. I'm tall and the stock handguard was way too short on this toy of a rifle.
More weight?
Lop?
Adjustable cheekpiece?
Presentation?

All to take a 64yd shot?

Lever gats aren’t my cup of tea, but if it makes the OP happy then go for it.

More weight?
Lop?
Adjustable cheekpiece?
Presentation?

All to take a 64yd shot?

It's just a range toy and a fun hobby. I have a blast ringing steel at 300 yards with it. LOP and cheekpiece? Yes. Have you ever handled an 1895? They are tiny. Either way, I like it the way I like it. It's not like you bitching and moaning about it is gonna get me to change my opinion lol

Last edited:
Mad Pig Customs wants $2575 on top of the donor Marlin 1895 for this:

So if you are buying a new Marlin add $1195 to that bill.

So we’re potentially at $3770 for a .45-70 tacti-cool lever gat?

Uhhhhh…. if you’re just looking for a fast to operate manual action there are better options for less $$$. $3770 is like basic Blaser R8 money, and I know which one I’d rather buy.

Uhhhhh…. if you’re just looking for a fast to operate manual action there are better options for less $$$. $3770 is like basic Blaser R8 money, and I know which one I’d rather buy.

I didn't have Mad Pig do anything because yes, their prices are silly. I did the work myself. If/when I decide to Cerakote it, it'll go to them though because I like their black multicam pattern. But I don't have any immediate plans for that right now. Photos are in that other thread.

Reactions: RUN8
Ahhh OK. So the parts are installable by someone with some mechanical aptitude and appropriate tools?

That makes more sense now.

Blasers light up the gaydar too, so tough call.

If you like it and have fun on the range, good for you!

All of mine look original, but the competitions that I do limit modifications And sighting options.

Blasers light up the gaydar too, so tough call.
I mean they are the height of pinky up wine sipping elitist wearing an ascot with a smoking jacket type of gun combined with arrogant Kraut space magic.

I’m probably more interested in the upcoming Beretta BRX1 for my strait pull bolt gun desires. Similar safety system as the Blaser with less weirdness. Probably a great first center fire for my son if a youth stock can be had.

Like so much of what I see, the aesthetic does absolutely nothing for me... and, in some cases, is repellent. Given the absolute jackassery I now see in the CCW crowd, there's no question that the gun community seems to have lost the GWOT by insisting that every personally owned weapon needs to at least look the part... somewhere between BBQ gun and DEVGRU.

I'd happily own a Marlin Guide Gun - after I run out of more useful and relevant guns to spend money on ;-). Seriously, though, I'd slap some version of Aimpoint on it, take the gray laminated stock as it is, and run it. I just can't convince myself to spend the money on something that does this weird mash-up of pistol exterior ballistics, less rounds than a bolt gun, and only slightly faster cycling. They are cool, though, no question.

Levers are just a ton of fun. I prefer them way more than ARs. I have a Rossi 92 (classic wood-stainless) and a Model X both in 357, both a blast to shoot. Slap a suppressor on the X and it's too much fun. Straight up.

Like so much of what I see, the aesthetic does absolutely nothing for me... and, in some cases, is repellent. Given the absolute jackassery I now see in the CCW crowd, there's no question that the gun community seems to have lost the GWOT by insisting that every personally owned weapon needs to at least look the part... somewhere between BBQ gun and DEVGRU.

I'd happily own a Marlin Guide Gun - after I run out of more useful and relevant guns to spend money on ;-). Seriously, though, I'd slap some version of Aimpoint on it, take the gray laminated stock as it is, and run it. I just can't convince myself to spend the money on something that does this weird mash-up of pistol exterior ballistics, less rounds than a bolt gun, and only slightly faster cycling. They are cool, though, no question.
That's a lot of it. Guys turning a utility gun into a fashion accessory.

What does my forend say about ME as a person?

Yeah, you're free to do what you want, but I reserve the right to ridicule anyone taking a firearm designed in the late 1800s,and bolting anything tactical on it.

Fyi, the REALLY cool kids have cannons from pirate ships with EoTecs on them.

Reactions: DJL2 and Modoc
Ahhh OK. So the parts are installable by someone with some mechanical aptitude and appropriate tools?

That makes more sense now.

I mean... it's not hard to bolt a stock and fore-end on. Trigger required some filing, which was no big deal.

All said and done, $375 for the stock, $339 for the handguard/rail/sights, $100 for the trigger.

untitled_by_haftelm_dgbuxmh-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lot of it. Guys turning a utility gun into a fashion accessory.

What does my forend say about ME as a person?

Yeah, you're free to do what you want, but I reserve the right to ridicule anyone taking a firearm designed in the late 1800s,and bolting anything tactical on it.

Fyi, the REALLY cool kids have cannons from pirate ships with EoTecs on them.
1699961694169.png

Reactions: Andielouroo
More weight?
Lop?
Adjustable cheekpiece?
Presentation?

All to take a 64yd shot?
You don't have to sit here and cry about what others do . Nobody needs your approval .

Reactions: Andielouroo
I'll admit to finding these newer tactical lever guns to be pretty cool. I just found out about Mad Pigs Thumpers built on the Marlin 1894, 1895, and 336 platforms or Henry Repeaters. Are there any other companies I should look at that do these kinds of tactical conversions? Honestly, I just think they look rad. I'm not too concerned with viability as a real service/use rifle. Just something cool to add to the collection.

Also, I've never owned a lever action. So what's a general breakdown on the most popular platforms?

cr=t:0%25,l:0%25,w:100%25,h:100%25

If it floats your boat.

Personally anyone doing that to a lever gun should....

You don't have to sit here and cry about what others do . Nobody needs your approval .
Quote where I said you did.
I also didn't cry, I just said it's absurd, and I'm not likely to change my opinion.

Blasers are really for rich homos. No straight working man would ever want a rifle that repeats exactly every time its disassembled and reassembled with just rough hand torquing, does so in a matter of less than a minute, has out of the box 1/2 moa accuracy with readily available barrels and bolts in over 100 calibers, has stupid fast reloads, is built to withstand double the chamber pressure of a normal bolt action, is hunting light, has a massive availability of stocks to fit every body type and preference (sexual preference i mean), is shorter than every other bolt action with the same length barrel because it doesn’t need a bolt body, etc etc etc… sounds like a real piece of shit.

I love lever guns for what they are ( except for those gay ass browning BLR’s). With that being said there’s an old quote from a gun writer I’ve always loved. “There’s a special place in hell for anyone that puts a scope on a lever gun”. I can only imagine what he’d have to say about the tacticool models…

The birth of Tacticool . We did not know what to call it as kids , looks like we got the "cool" part of it right . I think Lucas McCain would love the new stuff .

1701528096805.png

Reactions: spife7980
Lever guns are kinda picky about ammo. If the bullet shape/case shape is right, smooth as silk, quick too. If it’s not, Clunk, and nothing more, till you use yoru finger to clear the round off the feed ramp and out of the action. Basically a slow loading single shot.

So, if tacticool is cool to you, test your ammo, and test again.

For the original tactical lever gun, check out the video.