• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teach me reloading basics in Dallas

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
Ya, I *could* read every thread here, but I'm more a 'hand-on'guy.

Need someone to go over Reloading 101 in far North Dallas / Frisco area. Willing to pay for your time.

I'm NOT looking for another hobby. Reloading is a financial decision. It IS still more econimical to reload isn it!??

Probably just 308 and 300WM for now.

Re: Teach me reloading basics in Dallas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It IS still more econimical to reload isn it!??

</div></div>

Depends on how much you shoot, your component selection, and your equipment requirements.

Without trying to much, you should be able to reload for about half of what you can buy for. Say you save $.40/rnd, and you end up with $400.00 worth of equipment, you break even at 1k rounds. Just ballparking here.

I'm not sure if Cabela's still has them. Cabela's did hold reloading classes every Sunday. And the staff around the reloading section was very helpful to.

The Fort Worth store by the race track.

There are a couple of guys on the hide who offer a reloading service. You send them your brass and they will reload it for you at a smoking deal of a cost.

Meanwhile as my reloading equipment is in storage until I buy a house next spring, I am getting ready to send them several hundred pieces of virgin Lapua brass to feed my .308's. They can hook you up until you start reloading.

A reloading mentor is priceless and I make it a point to teach several people each year how to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure if Cabela's still has them. Cabela's did hold reloading classes every Sunday. And the staff around the reloading section was very helpful to.

The Fort Worth store by the race track. </div></div>

I sat in on the class in the FTW store when I first started reloading 2 years ago. I learned a lot, but getting my hands dirty taught me more. I read the ABCs of Reloading and a few other manuals before I attended that class. I went in during the week (called in advance to make sure one of the guys that actually knows how to reload was working) to pick their brain on equipment and components.

OP, I initially started reloading due to financial necessity (couldn't find affordable .45 ACP to save my life). I've since branched out to rifle calibers and it definitely saves me money and I get ammo that is very accurate to boot. As others have stated (and will state), you will shoot more since you can afford to and you may get to the point where you are just shooting more and spending the same amount of money. Will totally depend on your requirements and what components you use.

Since you are reloading 308 and 300WM your break even will happen pretty quickly.

The trouble is you will end up spending more up front because the real discount is in buying the components in bulk.

I would be glad to help you also. My schedule is booked till the 3rd weekend in January. If you are ok till then, drop me an IM.

It is a great way to relax and clear the fog out of your brain after work.

You will shoot more, so you might not necessarily save any money.

It is also addicting so you might not necessarily save any money.

Dragging the Misses over to Josh's house for his class is the best bet, she will be comfortable, and that will make her happy, in end the time spent together will pay off in more than learning how to reload.

427 Cobra

+1

My wife used to help me re load, and we had a great time doing it.

I totally believe in this. I had a guy show me and it put everything together. Also check out this http://ultimatereloader.com/ this guy is very good at explaining things and great videos as well. It might not be all of what you're looking for but it will help at some point.

I seriously recommend reading "The ABC's of Reloading."
I also recommend doing a one on one session with someone who knows what they are doing, as you learn a lot watching and doing hands on. I took a course, one on one, and walked away with a box of ready rounds. Then, I tried it myself, and had a couple questions, which the Master Reloader who gave me the session was very happy to answer. That was about six months, and 3000 rounds ago. I am no master myself, and sure was glad to have the training hands on, and one on one.
I don't think I have broken even yet on the cost, but I can make what I want, when I want. Oh, and was it ever a rush to watch my first buck fall from a handload I had made myself!