• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teach me your ways

HKslave

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2022
NC
I am new to the long range shooting game and at this moment in time i'd say that I am in the "introductory to long range" phase, as the longest distance I have available to shoot is roughly 400 yards right now. I'm just now learning how to use mrad calculations, do proper holdovers and elevation adjustments, and create DOPE. I bought my first few DMR intermediate to long range type rifles recently and I am mostly interested in learning the best ways to get the most out of my gear.

I am really not interested in the politics surrounding firearms, more just the love of sport. I began shooting in IDPA and sporting clay/ trap shoot competitions but I really want to start shooting more challenging matches like DMR and precision rifle competitions but also want to make sure I know my s**t before I show up and make a fool of myself.

If you'd be interested in learning about external ballistics, I strongly recommend getting a copy of "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Applied Ballistics from Bryan Litz. Its an easy to understand read put in layman's terms for us non-astrophysicists. I've learned a great deal of external ballistics by reading that book. Well worth the money and your time! :)(y)

Let me get this straight... You are not interested in politics and you don't want to make a fool of yourself ?
You should fit in well.

Welcome ;)

What are you shooting? 400 yds really limits you. NE Colorado.
I am in rural NC and have access to hunting grounds with 1600 acres but the widest gap is right at 400 yds. I am very accustomed to using all sorts of different 4x power optics Ie. ACOGs and magnifiers and doing holdover shots on 6, 8, and 12 inch steel which isn't very difficult, but that doesnt require learning any real ballistic calculations. I know of a mile long range in Ellerbe NC but its a bit out of the way and seems to be very exclusive, which I can understand, but would be interested in traveling to other states too.

Thanks for the recommendation @ColinW

400 yards is a very good resource. Field position practice and or PRS style barracudas should be fun with 400. And, Palin will be great for Alaska.