• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Teaching young females to shoot handguns

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
Ok here it is, I am NOT trying to be sexest there are a ton of females that could out shoot me any day of the week, but I have 2, 21 year old, gun shy college girls who want to buy handguns for protection

that is great, and im glad they are looking into this but a handgun in the hands of the untrained and uneducated is very dangerous.

any tips for getting them warmed up to shooting? I am taking them to my Ranch where they wont be rushed and there is noone around so they do feel rushed and have alot of fire going on at a busy range.

I have a HK usp compact in 9mm that im thinking will be a nice pistol for them to learn due to its smaller size and recoil forgiving 9mm round.

ideas?

im thinking,

basic firearm safety
basic description on how a handgun works
trigger and gripping techniques
sights and how to use them
possibly reloading just for education

I have had enough training from instructors myself that I feel I can pass on the basics until I can get them professional help.

Re: Teaching females to shoot handguns

also I have showing them the basic operations of a 12ga pump, I think that is a good HD weapon in the densely populated area we live in

As a rule of thumb, Women need to feel good emotionally to perform well...men need to perform well to feel good emotionally. Whatever you do, make them feel good first.

I've never been able to train my better half, nor have I seen anyone who could train their own better half...someone else can train my woman, and I can train someone else's woman though. Training is the one time you can get away with wife swapping with your buddies with no emotional holocaust afterwords. I just sent my wife to Storm Mountain Training Center's handgun II course and she loved it. I could have taught her all the same stuff, but it would have been a time of weeping and gnashing of teeth. No one knows why...it just IS.

that's what im afraid of, one is my long time girl friend and telling her what to do when she is frustrated is never good. They do not want to pay for the training, and I feel what I have to offer is far better then nothing hence the reason I am going to try

I hear you. Is paying for it for them an option?

For my girlfriend of course, for her friend probably not. and the nearest place to get a pistol course is several hours away

Im getting ahold of a PD friend of mine who does CHL and pistol classes. Might be able to get a group deal that I will attend myself because a little refresher is never a bad thing

First decide on what type of action you'd like to train the in (single action, double action only, etc)

Next get the same pistol for both of them and make sure it fits their hand. Also decide on a caliber (that is up to you and them, please no caliber wars). Use some range rentals if necesary,

Then teach them how to field strip it and in the inner workings. By seeing the inner workings and understanding what makes a gun go boom, they'll also subconciously process the idea "the bullet goes where the barrel is aimed at."

Then buy lots of plinking ammo until they get all the shootimg basics down.

Then move onto pricier defense ammo.

All the while teqch the maintenance and basic gunsmithing. The last thing you want is a phone call every time the slide fails to lock back.

Mahi,

I plan on showing them the basic failures and the tap rack clearing techniques. But there is only so much you can pick up without years of experience, esp when they other wise have no interest in this as a hobby.

I have decided 9mm will be best because it is a good round to carry and practice. I do have a 22 AMT lightning just incase we have to go back that far but im hoping the USPc or even my G26 will suffice.

mtm - lol, For some reasom I thought your were referring to daughters or sometning. In this case, I think your fortunate they're at least willing to learn basic lf defense. In my limited experience, it may be frustrating because as you imply, there's often little incentive to learn unless they've experienced danger/fear and hence recognize the importance (or been cheated on haha).

Definitely balance they're willingness to learn vs. the dangers of having a weapon in the hands of the untrained.

Small tip - let her buy her own weapon to avoid the following:
"why didn't you have the gun/pepper spray/SD weapon I got for you with you?"
"cause I was mad at you and left it at home."

Sometimes the hardest part about training someone who doesn't really have an interest is making them WANT to do what you want them to do. If people really want to do something, they do it on their own.

So, you gotta find a way to involve the ego or make it fun. For example, I can stand in front of my soldiers all day and tell them "you should run fast, you should lift weights, you should shoot and train like this and this is why this is why this is why"...I can back it up with all the history and logic and reasoning I want...then when I'm gone guess what...they go back to doing it the same old way. BUT, if I make it a competition their ego kicks in and all of a sudden they are interested.

No one cared about bullseye drills...until one day I posted the scores from best to worst in the platoon AO...all of a sudden guys were talking smack to each other about who beat who, who was gonna beat who next time, who beat the PL etc...I made them WANT it. No one cares about running faster or PT'ing harder, or clearing malfunctions a certain way until either their ego is involved or it's made fun.

The point is, you might wanna change your thinking to target their desire, in a fun way, first.

rgr - so true! you made me think of this line - "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

rgr what do you do? (sorry didn't don't meqn to hijsck the thread but as a couple of posts stated, it part psychology).

Having instructed at several women on target events I've discovered a few things about female instruction.
1. They will do whatever it is exactly like you show them, so show them correctly.
2. Never, never raise your voice, calm is good, take your time.
3. It is not about you, so don't show off, it's all about them.
4. Make it fun, and make it easy. Don't start off at 15 or 20 yd. move in close, except with steel of course.
5. They don't have the upper body strength to hold a pistol out for extended periods of time. Frequent rest time is needed. Also make sure to show them how to rack the slide by holding it firmly in one hand and pushing grip with other.
6. They think they aren't mechanical, so their eyes glass over when you start in on how it all works. Keep it basic.
7. It will take several sessions, don't rush it. See # 3.

I highly recommend that you start off with a 22 rim fire, a good one. Let them get used to the trigger pull with out the recoil. The old squeeze the trigger like trying to get one drop out of an eye dropper works well. Check eye dominance and try to start them off with both eyes open.

Good luck, it is something they need to know.

You don't have a .22?
Lots of .22 downrange to get comfortable and safe before any centerfire.

I like revolvers for non enthusiasts, and I don't teach them about single action until REALLY late in the cycle. You'll do in an emergency as you've trained in practice, and you DON'T want a light single action in an emergency.

OTOH, my daughter can manage a Glock 19, though manually locking the slide back is a struggle.
Again, a lot of rounds through an Advantage Arms .22 conversion is a great starter. Helps with proper trigger management and general manual of arms.

Shotgun, hmmm. Better do your homework.
Hunt up some Win AA or Fiocchi feather light loads for that pump if you want more than one short range session.
Better still, a Beretta gas gun, but we're talking a grand there.
A better choice would be a 20 ga youth gun WITH A THICK, GOOEY RECOIL PAD, unless they're pretty big girls. Start with 7/8 oz loads. Fiocchi does ultra low recoil 3/4 oz 950 fps loads.
I normally teach wingshooting, starting on a deserted skeet field, at station 7, giving low house singles. Take the gun, load one, hand the shooter the gun. Mount up, release on call, take the gun back to reload. With confidence, move to station 1 low house. If they can hit movers, some slow asshole in their house is no problem.

Major mistakes jackasses make teaching girls to shoot shotguns: handing her your 6# pound bird gun since "20ga doesn't kick". I notice most 20ga guns don't have anything resembling a recoil pad, just a plastic plate. Free recoil energy of a 6# 20ga is the same as an 8# 12ga with hot 1 1/8oz loads.
Actually, the best trainer I ever had for those who could lift it was an 1100 20ga built on the old steel 12ga frame. With light loads and a thick pad, recoil was almost non existent.

Other tips: Plugs AND muffs with pistols, and good wrap around glasses, and a cap. Stay away from folks doing load testing with their .338LM, or burning through a case of ammo with a Krinkov, etc.

And like Bronco said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have 2, 21 year old...shy college girls...any tips for getting them warmed up...? I am taking them to my Ranch where...there is noone around so they <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> feel rushed...ideas?</div></div> You need an adjunct instructor to help you out...PM me and I will clear my schedule
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have 2, 21 year old...shy college girls...any tips for getting them warmed up...? I am taking them to my Ranch where...there is noone around so they <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> feel rushed...ideas?</div></div> You need an adjunct instructor to help you out...PM me and I will clear my schedule
grin.gif
</div></div>

Oh, this is gonna get good

Funny Doorkicker.

In all seriousness re-read Bronco's advice, he has some good stuff to say there.

The first thing you need to talk to them about is their mindset and attitude. Their's needs to be assertiveness and confidence. You can watch someone walking across a parking lot and tell whether they are likely to defend themselves or fold under attack.

As the instructor your training, especially for a woman, needs to be about inspiring self-confidence in her own ability to defend herself. Men are taught by fathers and male role models from an early age that they should defend themselves and others. Women are usually taught that others, like Dad, their brother, a cop, etc will come to their aid and convention says they arent able to defend themselves.

Get them in self-defense mindset and talk to how to make good decisions and situational awareness before you even get to how to use the gun.

Lumping all women into the same category will get you in trouble. It's a lesson learned with old age and gray hair. I am only halfway there (the gray hair part).

Generally a .22LR and PROPER instruction will ease anyone into handgun shooting in a gentle manner. Handing them a .460 and watching them crack themselves in the head is not advised.

As mentioned above positive feedback and calm demeanor will enhance the learning experience. HOWEVER once the basics have been learned stress SHOULD be induced when learning COMBAT handgun tactics.

Remember if they have to defend their lives with the weapon, it's not going to be with a gentle range coach behind them. Stress inoculation is a proven technique. If you don't know what you are doing though you can turn them off to shooting forever.

A good example is that my wife can shoot pistol and high power rifle well. She WILL NOT touch my shotgun. I know she is capable, but when she was younger she had some asshat hand her a 12ga with no proper instruction and it punched her hard. She has no desire to ever touch a shotgun although I am sure she could master any of mine.

Don't be that guy!

Starting with a 22lr to built confidence is a must.

After that, you can gradually get them to shoot anything, pistol,shotgun,rifle...

I had many new female shooter at the club, lots of them around 100#

Here's one that shot the 500S&W after less than 2 hours from shooting her first handgun.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA22W6qJK1E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA22W6qJK1E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If they have zero experience it's actually a plus. No bad habits from someone else etc. Like you said, go over the rules (safe direction, finger off trigger, etc.) and basic parts/function of the pistol before you even go to the ranges. Set up a blank target w/no bullseye close in (maybe 7yds or even less) and work on sight alignment & trigger control. I used a paper plate with an IPSC target as a backer for my wife. I just had her hold center mass on the plate and we worked on grip, sight alignment, & trigger control. As she got more comfortable and the hits more uniform I moved it back a little.

I borrowed the format we use in NRA basic pistol except for the ammo control. In the class you hand the student one round at a time. They load and fire when given the range commands. You do this for a few five round sets. Then you give them five rounds at a time and repeat. It seemed a little odd to me at first but after helping a buddy with a class I see the point. It gives someone with very little to no experience a lot of practice with the manipulation of the firearm and it's controls. They also go from loading to acquiring a good grip & sight picture repeatedly so you can correct any grip or trigger problems quickly.

Use your .22 first. If they're comfy and want to, let them shoot the 9mm or some light .38's in a .357. My wife loves shooting the Colt Python w/.38's. She tried it with some magnum loads when she thought she was ready. While she hit with it, decided she wanted to stick with the "little bullets".

Some women don't have a problem w/recoil and some do. A buddy's wife went with him and the first round she fired was from an ultra light snub nose. It wasn't a +P or anything but it wasn't comfortable and I think it scared her a little. It took a long time to get her to warm up to shooting again and she still hates that snub nose.

Good luck and keep it fun for them. I started taking along my CZ 452 when we go. After shooting the pistol for a while my wife loves chasing a golf ball or empty shot shell around with the rifle.

Sounds like fun - or not.....

If you don't have any exp. as a weapons instructor please note -

No matter what Cal. you start with - Demo first. Then 1 round each so they get the idea. it may save someones life...

Or If you want to 'dance' - load up the mags and see what happens. Things get very interesting both mentally and physically when inexperienced people (male or female) experience the first explosion; which is then followed by 6-16 more rounds behind it.

Forgot to add - knives never need bullets or malfunction drills. Everyone understands what they are capable of as well. could be a better option for carry until proper training is achieved. That and pepper spray/non lethal choices.

I have trained many.

I'd say the most important thing you can have is an open mind. I thought that my ex girlfriend would prefer the M&P (striker fired) because it's simple. No safeties or any other bs to deal with.

I started her with a .22 pistol and taught her the basics of sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control. It took her about 20 minutes to be able to learn to call her shot and only then did we move onto the 9mms.

Turns out she hated the M&P. The heavier/longer trigger pull than the .22 I had previously given her had her upsetting her sight picture right before the shot broke. I spent some time getting her to dry fire and she was still having issues.

Frustrated, I pulled out my 1911 and told her "try this." She looked at me, worried that the .45 round was going to be too much recoil for her. I assured her that my handloads were pretty soft in any caliber, and so she loaded it and shot. The first shot went straight through the center of the black. The next two stacked on top of that. After the gun was empty, she told me that she definitely preferred the weight of the 1911.

I was willing to try anything to get her to understand the importance of seeing the sights all the way through the trigger breaking, but I figured she'd prefer a lighter weight, 9mm, simpler, striker-fired gun. It turns out I was wrong.

Everyone thinks women will like the simplicity of a revolver, but there's zero doubt in my mind that she would have hated that even more.

Just keep an open mind. You might be surprised.

I have a AMT Lightning in 22 I mentioned earlier I can use at first, also with my girlfriend she has shot just a few times and I would load the pistol with only one round in the event she was scared and dropped it, that worked pretty well until she got used to the the noise and recoil.

The nice thing about this situation is that are coming to me for help and this isnt something I am trying to push on them

and for the shotgun, I am using a Benelli M1 in 20ga with some light recoil bird shot. I really think they will enjoy shooting stationary clays, they have in the past when attempting a skeet stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having instructed at several women on target events I've discovered a few things about female instruction.
1. They will do whatever it is exactly like you show them, so show them correctly.
2. Never, never raise your voice, calm is good, take your time.
3. It is not about you, so don't show off, it's all about them.
4. Make it fun, and make it easy. Don't start off at 15 or 20 yd. move in close, except with steel of course.
5. They don't have the upper body strength to hold a pistol out for extended periods of time. Frequent rest time is needed. Also make sure to show them how to rack the slide by holding it firmly in one hand and pushing grip with other.
6. They think they aren't mechanical, so their eyes glass over when you start in on how it all works. Keep it basic.
7. It will take several sessions, don't rush it. See # 3.

I highly recommend that you start off with a 22 rim fire, a good one. Let them get used to the trigger pull with out the recoil. The old squeeze the trigger like trying to get one drop out of an eye dropper works well. Check eye dominance and try to start them off with both eyes open.

Good luck, it is something they need to know. </div></div>

These are the exact same steps that I have used with all the woman that I have helped. It seems I get one about every 6 months that is interested. With that said I always finish with inviting them to train with professionals either on their own or whenever I do.

+1 for Bronco's advice. I've done this a few times, started with a Sig Mosquito to teach the mechanics. One had a past bad experience when someone handed her a .45 with no instruction and she only had .22 time, she thought she was scared of any pistol larger than a 9mm. A couple mags later through the suppressed HK .45 and she loved it, transitioned to a nice 1911 with bunny fart target loads and her confidence was back. Showed her the difference between target & protection loads so she understood and that did it.

Lot of good advise so far. I would make sure you go to an outdoor range if at all possible. I made the mistake of taking my wife to the indoor range and it was too distracting for her. She shot about 7 rounds off and said she was done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Teach a woman the same as any man. </div></div>

Women are far better listeners.

My ex shot 10 alphas and 2 charlies in her 4th ever USPSA classifier.

Re: Teaching young females to shoot handguns

I started my new wife inside her house with a SIG 226 Airsoft pistol. although it was cheap, it's damned accurate to 25 feet. i gave her basic instruction in the function of it, and explained why some of her shots went wild. within two weeks of practice, she could keep a fist sized group at 25 feet. the next week she got a new SIG 226 and shoots it just as well as the airsoft. she still uses the airsoft to practice with at home.

Lots of good advice...once again, start them off on a .22LR pistol, demonstrate everything first at least once or twice, and don't rush them. If it takes 50 rounds or 500, let them get comfortable with the .22 before moving on (and for this reason, make sure you have plenty of time at the range available: an hour or two really isn't long enough). I learned to shoot with an M1911 and virtually zero instruction, and it took me literally years to teach myself how to overcome the basic mistakes that most people can be taught in a few hours.

Shotguns, in my opinion, are almost always a terrible choice for people to learn on. One of my friends is a fairly decent pistol shot, reloads her own ammo, and has been to Appleseed repeatedly...I bought her a 12 gauge pump for defence against bears, and even though she knows how to shoot quite well the recoil was simply too much for her to be comfortable with. Some shooters are, for lack of a better word, masochists: give them a weapon that hurts to shoot and they'll grit their teeth and shoot it even more just to prove to themselves they can. I had a customer once whose collection of handguns consisted essentially of S&W's lineup of Scandium-framed magnum revolvers, because he couldn't stand anything that didn't kick the hell out of him with each shot. Most women don't have that mindset. If they do, great - if not, recognize and accomodate it.

I'd strongly suggest teaching them with a 16" AR carbine instead of the shotgun (after they've become accustomed to the .22 and a 9mm pistol, of course). Again, demonstrate it first, and try to explain to them it's not going to kick or hurt them when they shoot it. It's a far better choice for home defence for a variety of reasons: greater capacity, increased accuracy, reduced chance of overpenetration through walls, easier to shoot, and arguably simpler to operate under stress (empty chamber, loaded magazine - in event of emergency, grab rifle, rack bolt, and flip safety off. No need to pump after each shot, and no worries about short-stroking).

Honestly, so much of it comes down to the individual person..every new shooter is going to require a different approach. And at the end of the day, you can only teach so much as someone wants to learn. Part of me thinks it's only a shortcoming of the instructor, that somehow the right words at the right time could overcome the problem...but sometimes you have to accept that some people aren't going to become shooters, register an account on Arfcom, and start a hundred new threads about "9mm vs 45" and "Glocks vs 1911s" . In certain cases it may be necessary to just realize that focusing time and effort on the finer points of shooting technique is a misuse of the limited time available, and instead use the opportunity to focus on safety fundamentals and proper mindset.

Above all else, make sure they have fun. Don't let them get discouraged or overwhelmed, or let it become about you. Direct your efforts based upon their needs rather that your wants, and let them set the pace.

I have started both my Daughters on Airsoft pistols . They are very close to the real deal as far as function but quiet enough that it doesn't interfere with instruction or make them nervous . From here I am planning on purchasing a .22 pistol and introducing them to competitive shooting at our local steel challenge matches . If they continue to show interest we can go from there .

Bronco, that was the best advice I think I have ever seen.

I would only add to get them the NRA beginners handbook as they will need it for their carry license. If you can, start suppressed .22, if you can, go integral to start. What a difference that makes and then step them up.

mtm, imo, the H&K 9mm comes much later. If your lucky, they will carry and stay safe.
They may even grow up to enjoy it, both mine did.

22.jpg

Bronco's advise is absolutely spot on. I would add to have a trustworthy second instructor there that is not emotionally attached to either woman. Sometimes, it's easier for them to learn from a stranger they see you trust. I have used this technique with both my wife and daughter and it works well.

I've found the M&P and the 1911 are the two pistols that women seem to like. They both have smaller grips and it makes it easier for them to manipulate the controls and grip the gun. Once they learn that recoil can be controlled even with the largest calibers, the issue of 'can I hold on to it' goes away. Also, never hold back on the different skills of pistol shooting. If you make drawing the gun or reloading the gun some 'special skill', then they will see it as more difficult or too difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KV_xwyh0w
This is my 14 year old daughter shooting a Glock 17 at a Steel Challange match a couple of years ago. Shooting competitions is an absolutely awesome way to get them into feeling that 'shooting is thiers', and that's very important. If they feel that their shooting is simply an extension of their relationship with you, they will never really take the self-defense aspect seriously. Additionally, them seeing other women shooting well is enspiring.

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread, but the NRA sponsors a program called "Women on Target".

This would be an excellent starting point your two ladies to begin with.

In teaching a few women to shoot, I learned a few things.
1) They care more about hitting what they are aiming at than the size of the gun.
2) They do everything you tell them EXACTLY as you tell them.
3) Ladies new to shooting are, on average, extremely nervous for two reasons - because they perceive it as a man's world, and because it's scary to them in their mind.
4) Start out small and short. 3-5 rounds MAX, with a good rest and talk in between.
5) Add "feel" to most questions - women seem to gravitate towards their feelings, in contrast to us males.
6) POSITIVE feedback is critical
7) Whenever there's an emotional attachment involved, it creates issues when attempting to teach properly. Find someone else to teach your girl, and you teach her friend.
8) DON'T bring out your heavy hitters until they gain some confidence. Breaking that takes mere moments, regaining it takes a VERY long time.
9) Pink doesn't work for all women. Shiny things work for most of them.
10) Size matters. A woman will most often pick up a smaller handgun because it's either "cute", or it fits her hand better.
My ex loved her 380, until it blew up in her hand.
Took me a year to get her back on the range.
Granted, it was a Jennings, but the impression was inscribed into her brain forever.

I've taught a pile. Here are some things I've picked up.

-I don't take them to indoor ranges anymore. The other shooters and increased sound is intimidating and distracting. Outdoor only. Preferably when no one is there.

-Glock 19. That's it. I don't bring out the 22lr until they've mastered the 19. I've also yet to find a girl who can't run one with proper training. Small hands, low arm strength--doesn't matter. It's simple, no maintenance, and the right size for them to take it with when they leave the house.

-Any woman can cycle the slide if they push both the slide rearward and the pistol forward at the same time. Think thumb pointing at thumb. It's just simple body mechanics, like how little waitresses can carry huge heavy trays of plated food overhead.

-22lr is a reward. Like a toy you give a dog after a day of successful training. After shooting the glock, they will be more jazzed and excited leaving a day of training if you end with the 22lr then if you start. Women aren't like men in this regard. Guys would rather end on the extreme, women want the closure and wind down.

-Ear pro and women. Make sure they are getting a good seal. Long hair, crap in the hair, designer sunglasses, and ear rings all can interfere with the ear muffs ability to form a seal. You will need to check this for yourself. It seems sealed until you start shooting. Then they want to quit. I've even used plugs and muffs and screamed instructions so they would hear. Again being outdoors and alone works better then indoors with other shooters.

-Clean CLEAN <span style="text-decoration: underline">CLEAN</span> ear and eye pro.

-Leave all your cool guy stuff at home. Use what they are using.

-As someone else mentioned, this is not the time for you to shoot. I fire at most 2x shots. And one of them is in the beginning to show them how loud it is and that it won't blow up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have 2, 21 year old...shy college girls...any tips for getting them warmed up...? I am taking them to my Ranch where...there is noone around so they <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> feel rushed...ideas?</div></div> You need an adjunct instructor to help you out...PM me and I will clear my schedule
grin.gif
</div></div>
Haha my thoughts exactly, but i knew someone would beat me to it.

I would definitely say start with the .22 then work up to something bigger, never a good idea to start them off with something that will scare them.

Start them out on a first session using the .22. I'm convinced the .22 has done more to help the firearms cause than anything else. I turned a handgun "hater" into an handgun owner after turning her loose with a Ruger MkII Target. 200rds of ammo later she had a big cheesy grin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Ear pro and women. Make sure they are getting a good seal. Long hair, crap in the hair, designer sunglasses, and ear rings all can interfere with the ear muffs ability to form a seal. You will need to check this for yourself. It seems sealed until you start shooting. Then they want to quit. I've even used plugs and muffs and screamed instructions so they would hear. Again being outdoors and alone works better then indoors with other shooters. </div></div>

This.

When I helped teach at a local NRA women's intro shooting course, we found a nice outdoor side range away from other shooters, had Shoot-N-See targets at about 15 feet, and moved everyone through the weapons in steps: first the .22, then the 9mm, then the .223. The beginning safety segment was given while sitting down inside a classroom so that there was plenty of time in a relaxed environment for questions (and so that everyone could hear and respond to each piece on information together).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Bronco that was the best advice I think I have ever seen.

I would only add to get them the NRA beginners handbook as they will need it for their carry license. If you can, start suppressed .22, if you can, go integral to start. What a difference that makes and then step them up.

mtm, imo, the H&K 9mm comes much later. If your lucky, they will carry and stay safe.

22.jpg
</div></div>

I will second that Bronco's advice is spot on from my experience and I will also second RollingThunder51's advice about starting women on pistol shooting with a suppressed .22 pistol. That has worked BY FAR the best for me. The lack of noise helps them concentrate, as if they needed help compared to men!

Women, in general, are much easier to train to shoot than men. I had a VP from our parent company, Textron, ask "how did I do?" after the first time I took him shooting. I replied, "Dave, you shoot like a girl". He was a little upset until I explained how that was about the highest compliment I could pay him. I explained that, in general, women listen better, do exactly what you say, take their time, question thoroughly what they don't understand and appreciate honest, tactful feedback.

My two favorite female students at the moment are my two daughters. They are not yet up to pistol shooting but they are doing great with .22 and centerfire rifles.

Below is a pic of my oldest daughter with her first deer. I went through the Sniper's Hide (Rifles Only) online instruction with her.

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

ra179t.jpg

The younger daughter learning about bolt manipulation.

2rgz1u1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Bronco, that was the best advice I think I have ever seen.

mtm, imo, the H&K 9mm comes much later. If your lucky, they will
carry and stay safe.

Do I see an AMT in her hands?

22.jpg
</div></div>

Glad your girls are interested in shooting. Both of mine are too (20 and 23) and I started with all the basics and a .22. They progressed both in skill and confidence and ended up liking to shoot the Kimber .45 the best. Encourage them and enjoy the time spent with them. I think you will be impressed with the results!

Attitude is the biggest thing.

I've taught ladies in high-heels and mini-skirts to shoot an MP5 their first time out, and watched a 90lb 4'10" asian chick ask to shoot a friends .500S&W on her first time at the range.

I've had numerous ladies walk in to the range I used to work at, rent a Glock or Sig in 9mm, then listen to everything I said, word for word, then shoot like a friggin' champ within an hour. They were there with a purpose, to learn.

I don't think you need to tailor things to the sex, I think you need to tailor to the attitude.

I typically go over gun safety and cycle of operations first. Cycle some dummy rounds though, let them see how the slide cycles, how the magazine feeds, where their hands can't be, etc. I go over grip with empty guns, so there are no nerves, you don't need ear pro, they're more relaxed, etc.

From there, do some dry fire, explaining sight alignment and trigger control. From there, I'll demo a few shots on target. To demonstrate how little kick there actually is, I'll shoot the gun holding it with 2 or 3 fingers so they can see that you don't need to man-handle it to keep it from jumping out of your hands.

Then they do some dry fire, till they want to go hot. They take this at their own pace, and shoot a few rounds to get over their nerves. As they relax, and get excited, I start hammering gun safety ("off target, off trigger") and coaching one thing at a time (posture, stance, fine tuning grip, follow through, trigger reset, shots from low ready, multiple shots on target, reloads, etc).

I think it's important to not overload beginners with A-Z all at once. A killer stance isn't required to make the thing go bang, so don't make they worry about it until A, B and C are out of the minds and they show you they're ready for more.

This progression works regardless of the students gender or age...you just get more resistance from dudes who want to do things for themselves, and make their own mistakes (like getting their thumb run over by the slide).

I find that when i teach a woman who has never touched a firearm before that a 22lr works wonders. usually after a few magazines through my high standard and they want to jump up to my wife's taurus millennium pro or a .38. something else that will help them feel comfortable with it is do like i did with my wife and rifles. a pink gun or one the color they like to them makes it less offensive or less intimidating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgrwilcox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a rule of thumb, Women need to feel good emotionally to perform well...men need to perform well to feel good emotionally. Whatever you do, make them feel good first.

I've never been able to train my better half, nor have I seen anyone who could train their own better half...someone else can train my woman, and I can train someone else's woman though. Training is the one time you can get away with wife swapping with your buddies with no emotional holocaust afterwords. I just sent my wife to Storm Mountain Training Center's handgun II course and she loved it. I could have taught her all the same stuff, but it would have been a time of weeping and gnashing of teeth. No one knows why...it just IS.

</div></div>

I have trained 100's of women to shoot and this is the oddest phenomenon I have ever seen, but you are absolutely correct.

The first thing I do is talk to them to see if they are capable of living their life knowing they killed another human being. I had maybe 5% of my female students buy guns to "scare" their attackers, but stated they would never shoot / hurt anyone. We returned their guns and got them junkyard dogs. Have a very frank discussion and ask them what they are willing to take a life for to protect. Mostly their flower or their kids (Some say just the kids), but some say their jewelry etc.

Bottom line is if they are not prepared to take a life, do not waste your time.

Most women I have taught to shoot do very well as they have no pre-disposed prejudice about how to shoot (as do most men).

Training the one you love is a very difficult thing, and I am not really sure why.

its cause she dont want to listen...she wants to do it her way.