• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Teal season comin quick!

bigtater80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
central louisiana
well its comin fast. September teal season in louisiana. Decoys are rigged, pirogue is camoed, and browning 10ga is fixed no thanks to local gunsmith or browning! Just wonderin if anyone else on here is feeling the wait?

Re: Teal season comin quick!

I cant wait until this years duck season, last year I didn't get to hunt much but in 08 I got an average of 5 each time we got out. It was an awesome season!
I got a huge quadrupul curl Mallard in 08, those were the days.

08-09 was my first season and my bud made me go after a chemical agents class on night shift. He had been after me for the whole teal season and this was on saturday of the closing weekend of teal. I borrowed his gun, and camo and fired three shots for three teal and was hooked. Around here most the good spots have permenant blinds so 3-4 birds between the three of us was a sucess. 09-10 season we discovered catahoula and the rest is history we limited out several times this year. Also got my first banded bird on my second hunt in november 09 a woodie from virgas falls mn banded aug. 09. He is at the taxidermist lol. Man its an addiction! I hunt 3-4 days a week and it does not keep the wife in the best mood but it was discussed before we got married.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">browning 10ga is fixed no thanks to local gunsmith or browning! </div></div>

I am suprised you are having any trouble with browning. I have always had great service with them.

I am very excited for the season. Teal are by far the best duck to eat.

my wife bought me the gun for christmas last year. First trip out ducks comin in pull the trigger and nothin no click just straight though. Pull it again bang! Hunted till last morning and it quit on me completely so I sit in the blind and watch my buds get their limit and then I borrow a gun. I sent it to a local shop paid 45 bucks to get it fixed and take it home pull the trigger twice and it quits again. So I call browning and they tell me take it to the closest service center and I do and wait a month till they finish it. Once home I load it up and trigger still feels shitty fire one shot and same thing. So now I'm pissed I figure ill tear it down see what parts need fixed and order em and fix it myself since season is so close. I sit down remove the trigger group and plain as day I see the connector is bent and not touching the sear so 2 min and a little bend in the sear. BANG! BANG! BANG! I love my 12ga bps and have never had a lick of trouble out of it and I LOVE my 10ga but this experience has hurt my opinion on browning. I will carry 2 guns just in case for prolly all of duck season till I gain confidence in this gun again. this season will decide its fate.

Yes them little teal are good in a dressing. My fave is fried wood duck breast.

Speaking of seasons coming quick, our early Canada season opens up on Sunday already. Gonna have to fight the bugs and heat but I can't wait to get out. Been spending waaaay too much money and time prepping for hunting season, it's time to actually get out and start the killing.

My trailer has been ready since about the fourth of July weekend, got a lot of scouting done already, birds had a good, early hatch and are flying to beat hell already, and we have an early grain harvest this year, yeah, I'm ready!!!!!!!!!!

I got two bands off two teals flying together last season so watch for bands! (neither of them paid though)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LUCKY! I was the only one in our group to kill a banded bird last season. </div></div>

It was pretty lucky, I ended up getting 6 bands last year which has got to be some kind of a record. None of them paid though so what are the odds of that? I'll post pics from a different puter in a few.

well I just don't hear a lot of people gettin bands around here. They are few and far between. Half the people I talked to said they haven't seen very many woodies with bands. We just started hunting catahoula lake last year and I'm thinkin we might stumble on some bands.

first morning we hunted catahoula! The lake was way above flooded we set up in treetops and hunted outta pirogues. We ran outta shells and had to leave. Birds fly all day long! Sorry they are pics I took on my old cell.

Here's a quick sample of last year.

2lix9wh.jpg

1zfsqo7.jpg

34e5150.jpg

3322dqr.jpg

4iyia9.jpg

2aflqtk.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE! I hope we get some geese this year. </div></div>

I've never hunted that far down, only a lot in Texas, do you get many geese that far?

Here are a few pictures from last season. Too many hero shots over piles of dead birds, but it's all I have. This year my goal is to work on my photography a little more; get more action shots, pictures of the dog retreiving, etc....

8-29Limit.jpg

8-30Gunner-2.jpg

8-30Loner-1.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

8-30Silo-1.jpg

8-30Trio-1.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

IMG_00193.jpg

IMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0014-2.jpg

last year we saw a few but most we saw had their little red bandannas on and wasn't studying our calling. Gonna try a few floater dekes this year. we mainly get teal, woodies, jacks, and gadwalls. Catahoula is full of canvasbacks my bud got a big drake last season.

Fisky, those are some great pics and a beautiful lab ya got. Supposed to go pic up a pup from a friend tuesday to start training if she is good as he says she is might be a decent deal. She is 5mos. Old and he says very smart but we will see. I see why I never see mallards down here. Save a couple for me this year! I actually am gonna work on some photography this year my self instead of shitty phone pics. I lost prolly a hundred good pics from last year in my old phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMG_0012.jpg

</div></div>

Damn that's a lot of green! Great shooting! You get first crack at 'em, I might have to come hunt it up with you guys up there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">last year we saw a few but most we saw had their little red bandannas on and wasn't studying our calling. Gonna try a few floater dekes this year. we mainly get teal, woodies, jacks, and gadwalls. Catahoula is full of canvasbacks my bud got a big drake last season.
</div></div>

Toss a floater goose deke into your duck mix, I've had luck with that on ponds and rivers. I've also tossed goose shells on a frozen part of a pond and hunted over the section we broke out which worked really well but you probably don't freeze over down there??

nothing freezes down here but us! this will be my third year hunting and I'm learning a little more every trip. but we see more specks, snows, than canadas was thinkin a few of each ought to help immensely. I'm so ready to cut loose on somethin! We don't really focus on geese so I only have a cheap zinks power clucker but sound goosish. I have really been thinkin about a good speck call since we see more of them than anything else. Have haydells speck call and I sound ok with it but it isn't the best sounding call I've ever heard. I'm partial to rnt but dammm they are high!

i love to go duck hunting. its one of the things my dad can still do. Hes had 4 major back surgerys in the last 10 years. We use some kites and dieks on the pond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hear Catahoula & Old River calling me!!!!! </div></div>

There is nothin else like it! Catahoula is the bomb!

I don't have access to any fields to hunt around here. I'd like to but most farmers are pretty stuck up around here I've asked around with little success. But I ain't really worried about it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You boys do any field hunting down South, or is it all water hunting? </div></div>

Here in CO it blows, even if you go all the way to the east boarder the field hunting sucks!