• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Team events.

DaveM

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Haverhill, MA
Team events are one of the most fun things I’ve ever done in the shooting sports.

Why aren’t they more popular in PRS? I wish we’d see more developed.

Reactions: Austinjunks
These have appealed to me in the last year or so, been wanting to get to one. I’ve been a spot filler at a dozen or so 2-day nrl/prs deals, they are fun and all, but I’m resigned to hitting locals and one day matches this year. The team deal appeals to me mostly with the spread out aspect, just you and a buddy as opposed to the sitting in traffic on the line of a prs/nrl match. Out on a spread out match, find-range-engage, less peacocks running around, and actual natural obstacles and no contrived crap sounds good to me. I’m betting this style will become more prevalent, and when it works out I’ll be getting into it. I’m not gonna be at any of the sniper/survival challenges where ya get kidnapped and have to eat bugs etc (those dudes are hard core!), but sounds like the CD matches would be awesome if they weren’t such a big travel commitment from my home.

I’d love to see 4 or 6 man teams running the current courses of fire. PRS or field matches doesn’t matter. It fun to coach friends and work together for the best possible scores.

Reactions: mahlv
That would be pretty cool too, kinda like a "best ball" setup

I’m betting this style will become more prevalent, and when it works out I’ll be getting into it. ...... but sounds like the CD matches would be awesome if they weren’t such a big travel commitment from my home.
They used to be more prevalent, but PMS just about killed field/team matches. And don't be a pussy, just make the drive, you will have fun :)

I’d love to see 4 or 6 man teams running the current courses of fire. PRS or field matches doesn’t matter. It fun to coach friends and work together for the best possible scores.
They did this a couple years ago. Kind of like the border wars with states verses states. I think it was 8 man teams. Everybody loved it.

They did this a couple years ago. Kind of like the border wars with states verses states. I think it was 8 man teams. Everybody loved it.

THIS team match was last weekend (3rd yr in row now) in OK at the Fouled Bore range. I brought a team from CO last year and it was literally one of my favorite matches of the year. Team CO was 4th overall just a few pts from 3rd and OK & MO were neck and neck. I believe the winning team averaged dropping 8 pts on the match. We had 2 guys from CO that dropped less than 8 so to get a whole team to do that is phenominal good. In our defense we had one gun go down and another guy was blowing up bullets. Crazy.

Day one we had 20 min for all 8 of us to shoot ea stage. 10 stages a day. Day 2 we had 15 min to shoot ea stage. Last year I believe MO won, this year OK reclaimed the crown.

They did this back in 2012 I think also but it only lasted one year. That match was and still is the coldest ive ever been. It was in the teens and snow/raining and brutal.

That being said, team matches have quickly become my favorite type of shooting. PRS/NRL are cheater matches IMO. Getting wind call from a good shooter in front of you is just flat cheating. If you arnt on a super squad, you are at a distinct disadvantage. rant over. lol.

Team matches eliminate the wind sharing and really focus on good team shooting. I really love them. The biggest thing I like is the requirement to be creative on the clock for solving a stage. No watching guy in front of you. No getting free wind call. etc etc.

Most team matches require you to range targets on the clock as well which add another stressor. Love it.

If you are interested in team matches look up Riflemans Team Challenge (I believe they have 10 matches this year in WA, MT, ID, and WY)

Competition Dynamics also puts on 3 team matches a year in WY and NM. CD has been putting on matches for over 10 years and they literally have it figured out. Smoothest ran matches you will find and the best people.

There is also the Mammoth Team Match and Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge on the east coast. These are VERY fun scenario matches that have a physical side aspect if you so desire.

GL!
DT

THIS team match was last weekend (3rd yr in row now) in OK at the Fouled Bore range. I brought a team from CO last year and it was literally one of my favorite matches of the year. Team CO was 4th overall just a few pts from 3rd and OK & MO were neck and neck. I believe the winning team averaged dropping 8 pts on the match. We had 2 guys from CO that dropped less than 8 so to get a whole team to do that is phenominal good. In our defense we had one gun go down and another guy was blowing up bullets. Crazy.

Day one we had 20 min for all 8 of us to shoot ea stage. 10 stages a day. Day 2 we had 15 min to shoot ea stage. Last year I believe MO won, this year OK reclaimed the crown.

They did this back in 2012 I think also but it only lasted one year. That match was and still is the coldest ive ever been. It was in the teens and snow/raining and brutal.

That being said, team matches have quickly become my favorite type of shooting. PRS/NRL are cheater matches IMO. Getting wind call from a good shooter in front of you is just flat cheating. If you arnt on a super squad, you are at a distinct disadvantage. rant over. lol.

Team matches eliminate the wind sharing and really focus on good team shooting. I really love them. The biggest thing I like is the requirement to be creative on the clock for solving a stage. No watching guy in front of you. No getting free wind call. etc etc.

Most team matches require you to range targets on the clock as well which add another stressor. Love it.

If you are interested in team matches look up Riflemans Team Challenge (I believe they have 10 matches this year in WA, MT, ID, and WY)

Competition Dynamics also puts on 3 team matches a year in WY and NM. CD has been putting on matches for over 10 years and they literally have it figured out. Smoothest ran matches you will find and the best people.

There is also the Mammoth Team Match and Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge on the east coast. These are VERY fun scenario matches that have a physical side aspect if you so desire.

GL!
DT

Do you have any info on the WY match? When and where, etc. Thank you

Do you have any info on the WY match? When and where, etc. Thank you

There are a couple team matches in WY and one is my favorite match of the year.

Wyoming Tactical Rifle Championship (Will be part of RTC this year)
-North of Gillette, WY (part of the match is shot in MT)
-July 12th weekend (3 day match fri, sat, sun)
-has a pig roast at awards ceremony. freakin awesome. that and the high round count make this my fav match of the year.
-COF: Ea field course is unlimited ammo for both rifle and carbine. ea target must be engaged min 2x. misses are neg pts. max 2 hits for pts. roughly 60-80 rnds fired ea course of fire. usually carry 100. ea stage can have pistol but not always
-Rifle shooter: unlimited rifle choice 3200 fps limit
-Carbine shooter: AR 223 18" or shorter barrel only
-pistol: limited rules apply.

-Day 1 & 2: 2 field courses a day. One in the morning one in the afternoon. Ea course you have 2 hours to complete. at start you walk/run to first shooting position marked with a stake and boundary limits. find range and engage all targets. red carbine blue rifle white pistol. RO who travels with you will tell you number of ea target at ea stage. once done shooting gather all gear and run/walk to next shooting position. usually 6-8 positions to complete in the 2 hr limit.
-Day3: Team VS Team elimination race. 2 sets of targets. who finishes first advances. ea team will engage in this order: texas star with pistol and a lone stop plate. once cleared transfer to carbine and clear a texas star at 150 yds on a floating platform with an carbine. once star cleared, hit 2 plates 1 time ea at 200 and 250 yds. once carbine cleared, jump off and rifle jump on platform and engage 1 rd ea target at 400 500 600.

Burris Optics Team Challenge
-West of Douglas WY
-June 25th wknd
-Competition Dynamics match
-COF:
Field stages: Ea stage will have 8 targets. Carbine to engage 4 of them with unlimited ammo. once carbine clears or chooses to stop, rifle must engage all 8 with 1 rnd ea only. 4 stages to complete in 1 hour.
Assault courses: 5 min time limit to do COF. these vary pending MD choice. 3-gun style stuff. can include any variety of weapons from rifle & pisitol, carbine & pistol, pistol pistol, rifle and carbine, etc etc etc.
-Rifle shooter: unlimited rifle choice 3200 fps limit - one shot per target
-Carbine shooter: AR 10/15 any caliber any barrel length - unlimited ammo
-pistol: limited rules apply.
-A hard team match! This match is an extreme test of practical field shooting of rifles, carbines, and pistols, and supporting activities. Two-man teams will be required to navigate rugged desert / mountainous terrain, recognize, locate, range, and engage challenging rifle targets from compromised shooting positions, communicate with their partner and the range officer (RO), and do it under time constraints.

Day 1& 2: one field course in the morning. 2-4 assault courses in the afternoon. 4 stages to complete in 1 hour.
Day 3: One field course in the morning and done.

Sniper Adventure Challenge
-West of Douglas WY
-Sept 3-6 wknd
-Competition Dynamics match
-COF: nvr shot it. It’s an Adventure Race. With Guns. You and your partner will undergo tests involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks. Two-man teams will be required to navigate 30-60+ miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.
good luck!!

Hope to see you at them!!
DT

wtrc 2015 9.jpg

WTRC 2015 - Rough when you get a morning draw and get the sun!

2016 uso tc 4.jpg

2016 Team Challenge - Assault course: any time the rifle missed, I had to engage 2 carbine targets. this was after both of us emptied 2 pistol mags on targets at bottom of hill. very fun stage.

2018 BOTC 9.jpg

2018 Team Challenge: Field course day three. was clean until this point and I dropped my last 2 shots! doh.

Very fun
DT