• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Team Match AAR from Tiger Valley

MADUCE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2004
DALLAS,TEXAS
www.tigervalley.com
First let me apologize for barking at any of my RO’s or competitors during this match. I was up till midnight fielding calls about the match and out of the rack at 4:00am to prepare and set targets. The RO’s did a great job and I couldn’t do it without them. Again, sorry if I pissed anyone off by being short during this event.

Back to the AAR at hand. Owning a training facility, I have a hard time seeing things that aren’t functional without saying something about it. Being a sniper requires certain skill sets, lacking these can produce unexpected consequences. If you fly a Little Bird, jump out of planes or kick doors for a living, you need skill sets specific to that endeavor. Having spent the majority of my life, 24 years on a SWAT team, I can tell you that those who didn’t have the necessary abilities had a very difficult time, and yes in some instances failed when called upon.

Owning the most expensive piece of gear is great, but has no direct correlation to the ability to win or succeed during a special threat situation. Obviously, mixing the two, great gear, in combination with skills is a winning combination for those who possess them.

I had the luxury of standing back and observing action on the range, some were even comical. I wanted to break down some areas where I saw needs and hopefully correct some issues we saw.

Patience:

I threw this in, not because it was evident at this match but because it is required of all marksmen. Our last team sniper match, we had a four-hour stage and attention spans waned quickly. Target came up and shooters were not ready. Those who require lots of social activity are not the best candidates for sniper work; you need the lone wolf mentality. It takes a lot of mental toughness to lay for hours for the one shot. I have a good friend, Dan Colosanto who uses the word “kicker” to describe sniping. Yes it might be a simplistic description of the job, but in some sense it describes what is expected. You have a guy who stands on the sideline by himself with one skill set, kick the ball. When the game is on the line, they are asked to make the kill shot. Make it and you’re a hero, miss and you are the dog of the day. Snipers have other abilities, but to the untrained they wouldn’t know what they are.

Situational awareness:

Is the shooter aware of all things going on around him? In one of the last DDM classes, after several days in the building, students were required to describe the inside of the bunk house from memory. Simply being able to memorize during a “kims game” is not necessarily a watermark of a sniper. Being a precision marksmen requires you to aware of all aspects of your surroundings, not knowing what yard line you are on after shooting the stage is probably not a good thing.

Multi-task:

Can you do more then one thing at a time or do you have tunnel vision? When you come to the line, are laying out your gear are you listening to what is going on and commands that are being given. Being that a match is a reasonably low stress environment, at least compared to taking a humane life, you should be able to listen and set up your gear. During a real SWAT situation or military operation commanders do not have the time to do individual briefs because you can’t pick up gear and listen at the same time, something we see all the time.

Communication:

Communication takes practice, and poor communication raised its ugly head on the sectorization drill. Shooters had to describe what window a target was to be engaged from, from four picture quality buildings. My moms blue car is hardly a good description unless you are describing the vehicle to your brother. Descriptions need to be specific to what you are describing, brown building, when you have two down range just won’t suffice either. Look at what features separate what you are observing from other buildings and pass information that is specific. I also didn’t see many supporting the precision shooter with his glass on the same stage. Most AR shooters had weapons with 10X scope or some type of magnification. If they had watched and called the corrections for the misses the scores would have been higher and times faster.

Physical conditioning

Good hits and low time win matches. I saw some improved time with guys who showed up 40 pounds lighter. Congratulations, not only on better time during the stage but to your general health as well.

If you missed targets, either stationary of movers, you probably know what you did wrong when it happened. Most of the above are areas are not interesting and some times hard to put time into, but when you do, you will see the fruits of your labor. T.J.

Re: Team Match AAR from Tiger Valley

Being my first match, I really had no idea what to expect. I was boasting myself all day prior to the event for some great shots at the local range. But during the event, I realized that everything I told myself I was going to do or not going to do flew out the window. I dont think what I learned out there this weekend from my own mistakes, or from the thoughts of others could ever be taught sitting behind a bench. Its was definitely one of the best learning experiences of my life, and I look forward to working on what skills I need to improve to be ready for the next match..

This is the thing I love most about the Tiger Valley matches. Because the man running the match thinks about things in a practical manner and not as a "gamer" would. I am having a real hard time getting into 3 gun because of the guys who make it a game by using reloading devices, guns, and holsters that would never fly or be practical in real life. If you have to oil your 2011 between stages to keep it running then your who Im talking about. Who keeps a 14" long tube full of shotgun shells on them at all times to do a 1 second shotgun reload? That just gays up the sport IMO. Thanks for keeping it real TJ. There are plenty of matches out there for high drag low speed guys. I want a match that challenges me in every aspect. Not just pulling the trigger.

This to was my first tactical team match. I really enjoyed the weekend. I was called to fill in for a guy who couldn't make it and am glad I was able to go. The reality of the stages was great and the challenge was awesome. I have to say that I made plenty of my own mistakes, recognized some on the parts of others, but learned a tremendous amount from both. The guys and gal that shared there knowledge was much appreciated. I am hooked and will be back for the 4 man tactical in Sept. I want to say thank you to T.J., Bruce, and all of the R.O.'s who put on the event. It was professional and they should be proud of the work they did.

Great match T.J. and very professional. I would have to say that everyone can only put up with a certain amount of crap and sometimes we all get a little short. Therefore, it anyone this weekend got there little feelings hurt if someone may have been a little short or asked them to do something then maybe they should take up a new activity. Crap, I was short with my partner and he with me a few times and that is part of it. He is still a great guy and shooter. If you can't tell it like it is and people accept it, then that is their problem. Thanks for posting your insights from the match. The only way to get better is to listen to those who know what they are doing, see you operate then relay what you are doing right and wrong so it can be fixed. Trust me I know that you and your guys laughed your butt off if you watched anything that I did.

I did enjoy the match, this was my third. I think T.J. is correct when speaking of communication. However, I think it would have been helpful to have an RO squaded with each group to be the go to guy for questions, someone in communication with command so to speak.

Thanks to all the shooters who came out this weekend! It was fun, even if I couldn't feel my fingers half the time. I hope everyone learned something about their skills and/or equipment setup that will help them be better & faster shooters at future matches.

Only thing I might add is when I was in the attic with the precision guys, a lot of them would take too much time setting up their dope sheet, flashlight, shooting bag, coffee maker, etc. LOTS of folks ran out of time on that stage (as you can see from the score sheet). My advice would be to get set up in a hurry so you can spend more time concentrating on engaging the targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it would have been helpful to have an RO squaded with each group to be the go to guy for questions, someone in communication with command so to speak. </div></div>

In order for us to be as fair as possible, it is important that the RO's for each stage stay there for the duration. One RO might run a stage differently from another, even if ever so slightly. This can lead to an unfair advantage for shooters in certain squads (times & scores might be better or worse depending on how much or how little an RO is lenient on certain aspects of the stage).

Having an RO stay at the same stage all day makes sure that all the gray areas and shooter questions are addressed the same way every time.

Having said that, we love answering questions! Don't ever hesitate to ask details on what will and won't fly on a particular stage. It's only fun for us if the shooters understand the goal for that stage -- it is never fun to see a shooter slap his forehead after the fact because he didn't do something he could have to finish quicker or be more accurate simply because he didn't ask a question before his team started.

This was the wife and I's second 2-man event at TV. We came back from the first match with some new knowledge and expected the same from the second. We were not disappointed. Thanks TJ for your feedback on what you saw.

In looking back on this past weekends match, we can see where the successful applications of the lessons learned from first match helped our results. Also, we can see where we didn't learn some of our lessons quite so well.

The wife and I get to shoot various forms of action shooting sports and in the past we have run large regional championships. You learn what works and what doesn't real fast. So I would like to congratulate TJ and all the ROs for a great match. You guys have the right formula going on. I just wish you guys could hold more of them.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You guys are a class act.

Chris I get your point. I think one RO with the squad and one RO with the event would be a better setup with regards to communication.