• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Techniques for Improving Precision

RCBorries

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
Before I get into this, please excuse me if this information has already been discussed and readily available on this forum but being I am fairly new to precision shooting I am not sure how to go about finding this degree of technical information. I have a 400 yard range at my house and have never joined or even been to a shooting range. So other than scouring the internet and reading Ryan Cleckner's Long Range Shooting Handbook, all of my experience in precision shooting has been through self taught trial and error. Being I have never had the luxury of a hands on instructor, I would think this "self taught" process has had some negative effects on me by potentially creating some bad habits in my shooting techniques. I would be willing to bet if were to spend a little time on the range with a more experienced precision shooter most of the issues I feel I am having could be cleared up with some helpful tips. I do plan on joining a local range but with this COVID-19 stuff going on right now that has obviously been delayed. That said, I am hoping you guys might be able to help me out for the time being with some tips that will improve my groups and overall precision.

Ok, so I am able to hold 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups at 300 and 400 yards on about 50%-75% of my 5 shot groups. Being I know the rifle is capable of sub MOA I would like to improve my group consistency to where i am shooting sub MOA 90%-100% of the time.

Over a few hundred rounds at 300-400 yards I have determined the inconsistency is in my cross hair stabilization on the bulls eye. What I mean by this is when I am looking down the scope at the target I feel the cross hairs are jumping around too much. I noticed at 400 yards the crosshairs seem to bounce around in about a 4-5" area on the the target.

I guess the major question i am asking is, how do I become more efficient at stabilizing the rifle while aiming? I will go through my techniques with and maybe this will help you guys address my issues or tell me what im doing wrong.

I am shooting from prone position on a bipod and sandbag. Before shooting any given day (and usually before shooting each group) , I do just much dry firing as I do actual shooting as I noticed this really helps me get me calm, steady and in my "zone" so to speak. I lay parallel behind the rifle with feet spread. I make sure I am as comfortable as possible by allowing myself to lay as natural as possible behind the rifle. Using the sandbag, I use the bag to get on target as much as possible to minimize having to physically adjust/hold the rifle on target. I then go through my breathing patterns (2 deep breaths in and slow exhale), load the trigger by pulling up the slack and then squeeze off the shot on the tail end of an exhale by slowly apply pressure to the trigger to ensure I am not anticipating the shot. Its while in this final stage of exhaling and that preapring for the shot that I feel I am still not stable enough as the cross hairs just seem to be bouncing around too much.

When I first started trying to shoot for precision, I was basically trying to minimize my shoulder and trigger hand contact to the rifle to minimize movement of the crosshairs on the target while aiming. Basically, my theory here was to use the sandbag and bipod to emulate what you would do with a led sled/vise. Because the rifle has such minimal recoil, I can pretty much make it where my trigger finger is the only contact point to the rifle. This seemed to help to a degree as I was getting sub MOA most of the time but I started realizing that this technique had some disadvantages. One being that this causes the cross hairs to float around the bullseye in an inconsistent pattern vs the the cross hairs floating across the bullseye in somewhat of a pattern that would allow me to somewhat time the shot. This is how I always shoot my bow to get tight groups. By getting the reticles to move in a pattern across the bullseye i could get into a rhythm that would allow me to time the shot as it came across the bullseye. Another issue is see with this "minimal contact method" is if I tried this with any other rifle with more recoil (like a 300 mag or any other of my hunting rifles) I would end up with split/black eye simply because the rifle isnt braced into my shoulder enough to stop the recoil. So I started bedding the stock into my shoulder a little tighter (like I would when shooting any other rifle) and also started "loading" the bipod by using my toes to slightly scoot up on the rifle when aiming. This did allow me to get the cross hairs floating across the bullseye into somewhat of a better pattern. I made sure to shoot all my groups this way yesterday and overall, I felt more confident in my shot placement but after shooting (3) 5 shot groups at 400 yards and (3) 5 shot groups at 300 yards I was disappointed to find that my groups still were inconsistent. I actually had 3 out of 6 groups that were just over 1 MOA!!!

What is the correct way I should be doing this? Also am i missing any techniques that will help me minimize cross hair movement when aiming?

I will say, I am 90% sure I don't have a flinching problem as I do not jerk the trigger and I am very continuous of letting the shot surprise me and not anticipating it. The one potential problem I know I have is not following through with the trigger pull. Again, I dont jerk the shot but I dont do the 1-2 second pull though after the gun fires simply because its a habit i cannot seem to get into doing. I could be wrong but I dont think this has any affect on my shots being I know i am not jerking ht eshot or flinching. I assumed this technique is more of a visual aid for instructors to ensure students are not jerking the trigger when shooting.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Gov357
Have a buddy drop rounds into the loading port for you. Of 10 shots or so, he'll make one of them a dummy round...at random. That's called "ball and dummy". No matter how cool we all look on the range with our 24" biceps, or what our online training forum told us...if we flinch, that old school drill will make our face turn red.

You'll surely know if you flinch then. :)

The whole 2-second pull through thing is BS. I'm not saying it can't work, but it CAN build in bad habits:
--Not running the bolt immediately to reload;
--Holding the trigger down if you ever have to run a full-auto;
--And I'm sure others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Free recoil is a "thing" for those with Benchrests, or those will Belly Benchrests....by that, I mean the return-to-battery front/rear bag setups like SEB, etc.

All the rest of us are probably better to be behind the rifle and hold it like a rifle. Middle and ring finger applying gentle pressure straight to the rear, pinky as relaxed as possible, index finger lightly on trigger, not draggin on the stock our guard. Support hand probly under the butt of the rifle, if I understand you.

Remove the backstop from your trigger, too. It FEELS nice, but bottoming out on a short-set wall doesn't do anything good for groups, as the bullet isn't GONE yet. Keep in mind that, over the length of a typical rifle barrel, 1/4 MOA difference is only equivalent to 0.002" of movement on your end.

So anybody that is routinely able to hold 1/4 Minute off bags...well, they are holding a GOOD deal under 0.001" movement at the rifle end of the range.

**Don't be too hard on yourself.

-Nate

Last edited:
It sounds like to me in order to improve in this area, you are focusing on group shooting.

You say a majority of your shots are in the prone and that you are holding .5 to .75 MOA on any given day. Which is pretty good, however here is the issue I see,

Group shooting when you are not an F Class or Benchrest shooter with their equipment is a lesson in frustration. Shooting group after group trying to improve from the previous one is not a good use of time or resources.

First off, we are not group shooters, we are not set up to be group shooters. We shoot groups to test our loads, confirm our zeroes, or to test where things might lay in our training or execution. We, however, don't shoot groups for a score. So you want to improve in other ways that are in line with our systems.

The dot drill is one such drill you can perform. It mixes up the training to take away from the group shooting mentality.

It's more about positive repetitions than chasing a perfect group. Nobody I know just shoots groups or does things in that fashion. Most are practicing the stages or drills they will see in a match vs trying to improve in a single way.

Look at the fundamentals from a variaty of positions and ways, how you execute those fundamentals outside your normal comfort zone.

Precision comes from the fundamentals of marksmanship, and Accuracy comes from our ability to interpret data. Our equipment has a bearing on both so look at that too. You may be at the limit of said equipment, or you may be to able to adjust something to help improve it, like going from a factory load to a handload.

Don't focus on the group, focus on the execution of the firing task. groups will drive you crazy.

The reticle shouldn't be moving that much (I am not a great shot because I suck at recoil management but my crosshairs are more or less still in prone with a rear bag and bipod). A video of you shooting would make it the easiest for people to help you. Even when I am doing things all wrong, heavy cheek pressure or turning my shoulder into a brick wall, the reticle is still not moving around that much.

Some good points here.

Yea I think I might be too focused on on the whole precision aspect. Though I still feel there is some room improvement but I guess that's what practice is for. But lowlight hit the nail on the head with striving for precision being lesson in frustration with my setup. I guess it's not always a beneficial to try for perfection

Its while in this final stage of exhaling and that preapring for the shot that I feel I am still not stable enough as the cross hairs just seem to be bouncing around too much.

What magnification do you have the scope set to and at what range?

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I'm with Rocketmandb on this. When I tried 1000 yard benchrest the mirage was kicking my butt. I dialed the magnification down to 10x and pretty much ended the jumping retical. My best ten shot group was at 10x.

Well, I was holding out for the reveal :)

A lot of people think that just because they have a 4.5-whatever scope, they need to be at the "whatever" magnification. I believe that our brains will always try time the wobble. Said wobble diminishes in magnitude as you zoom back out, which also diminishes the propensity to try and time it. Additionally, as you mention, high mag + mirage is not enjoyable.

I set the magnification based on a combination of mirage, target size and the ability (to see target) to repeat placement shot to shot. The last time I was shooting my 12" x 20" steel, mirage was light - I was probably shooting at 15x or so at 1500 yards. The only time I'm at "whatever" is when I'm using my scope to spot for someone. Also, I find with high magnification my eye strain increases.