• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Teflon Tape?

CommAV8OR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Nanticoke, PA, USA
I just read a post in the "Threaded vs Quick Detach" thread about a member using teflon tape for a threaded suppressor.
I've considered this for a while, but I never knew if it would cause permanent damage to the can or barrel.
Does anybody use teflon? I'm considering it specificaly for my Ti-Rant 45 because the SOB needs tightening of about 1/10 inch after each mag is shot through it. (.578-24)
Thanks.

Re: Teflon Tape?

Teflon tape is a thread lubricant, not a thread sealer. It will function as a sealant for certain conditions but it was designed as a thread lubricant for tapered pipe threads that seal on a taper.

I use teflon tape with my 338 thread on can as well and it works fine, in preventing build up on the threads from blowback, that make the can stuck on the barrel.

bohem is spot-on.

However, I have used teflon tape a few times in a pinch with an AAC TiRant and a Silencerco Osprey. I have a particular barrel with threads on the looser side of things. The tape worked okay but I wouldn't advise it as a long-term solution.

Mark