• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Telescope Observation M49 ID plate needed...

fosberry455

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
Does anyone here know of a source for the data plate found on the M49 spotting scope?
I have both an old original scope with the riveted place and another later issue with a metallic serial number sticker that is half gone.
Does anyone know of a source for them, either original or reproduction .
Can anyone put a time period on the older one with the moulded wooden case as compared to the green plastic one.
Also looking for a tripod and case. Condition is not important.
Thanks, and appreciate any help I can get on this one.
I was not sure how to do it or if this is allowed here.
If not allowed on the regular board, just axe it and my humble apologies as nothing I could find in the stickies against it. :)
Cheers, & TIA
spotting scope.jpg

Here on vintage we have some somewhat... relaxed standards for asking about rare parts. So you should be good. (Mods... please give this a pass... it's a good question!)

Tough order. Honestly, I'd think eBay would be your best bet. Maybe a trashed scope with the needed parts.

But I'll keep my eyes open!!!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I saw a nice M49 on eBay last week but it lacked the data plate and I figured it would be nearly impossible to find one - aside from a lot of luck.
Your best bet is probably a shop that repairs and restores old (WWII vintage) binoculars and related optics. For example, this outfit is in the UK and I am not recommending them per se, but I think your best (and maybe only) hope is to find a similar shop that specializes in vintage binocular repairs and might have an unserviceable M49 scope with the early brass plate that I guess is removeable. https://opticalrepairs.com/ww2_binocular_repairs.htm

The later ones had labels that I presume are glued on and thus not removable. The M15 tripod is going to be an eBay thing, unless again you find a vintage repair shop that had a spare tripod that they are willing to sell. I don't know when they transitioned from the late WWII era brass plate with wood case - to plastic case with stick-on label - but my guess is sometime in the 1950s. I recall that M49s were reportedly made by several manufactures over time, but I have never seen a loose data plate for one. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance on the "does and don't" of the board.
I checked and it appeared to be OK but did not want to overstep any bounds.
I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere in Northern Canada and the town has lot of lot of small operations such as engraving just shut down.
I will try some of the trophy shops again, but previous requests there have been futile.
Again, thanks for the assistance...I really do appreciate it.
cheers,
Fosberry455

Try: g503.com or bmgparts.com. I've seen posts regarding repo data plate vendors.

Thanks for the guidance on the "does and don't" of the board.
I checked and it appeared to be OK but did not want to overstep any bounds.
I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere in Northern Canada and the town has lot of lot of small operations such as engraving just shut down.
I will try some of the trophy shops again, but previous requests there have been futile.
Again, thanks for the assistance...I really do appreciate it.
cheers,
Fosberry455
You may be better off finding someone who can do laser engraving on brass or yellow metal. The setup for just one will likely be spendy (though maybe not these days...) But if you have 10 made and a few to sell after, you might clear your costs and then some. I have a friend with a small laser engraver. He loads in Logos all the time. I'll ask if he can do a run.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it.
I suspect the scope missing the ID plate grew legs, as not too sure of the system in the USA, as optics up here are normally not disposed of in new condition. They have to be declared U/S.
Rather happy I found this board, and found that my name has been mentioned here a few times.
I am the guy that does the repair work on the British and Canadian No.32 Mk.1 .2 & 3 sniper scopes and the REL T.O.S. observation scopes.
This is how a few people picked up my name for repair work.

Well welcome to Vintage!

We are sort of known as the gentleman’s club of the hide. Tweed, port and cigars and no profanity. Purdey shotguns are not a requirement, but are recognized for cred.

You will fit in great here and hope you pick up some business!

Just watch out in the bear pit and if you own pigeons, keep them away from Bender if you don’t want them pregnant.

Again, welcome aboard!

Sirhr

Reactions: Davo308