• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Tell me about MTM's

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I have seen some for sale with the IR laser. I know those are restricted models but so is most stuff with IR lasers that aren't eye safe. So what's the skinny? Are they reliable? How do they compare to say an MH25 when it comes to image (I heard they are bright).

They are incredibly solid and reliable. The technology is over 10 years old, so it will not compare to the image quality to Iray.

Reactions: Eliteuas
    MTM IR laser is eye-safe. Great little device. Tough as nails. Submersible to 60-feet. Makes a spectacular spotter with the factory 3x magnifier.

I keep one in my travel backpack / carry-on for all domestic travel, along with my Satphone.

Reactions: stefan73
    Better units can be had for a tad bit more... maybe even the same price. I just picked up a UTM with release papers, for $4400. works as a monocular, standalone and clip on
    You have my attention.

I would love to party with you Horta and Wig but my wife would Lorena Bobbitt me after she saw the credit card bill for that:eek:.

Now I have to look at UTM's :unsure: :unsure: 😁

Reactions: TheHorta
    Legit UTMs are tough to come by. 99% of them are radioactive/stolen. Release papers, or no-go.

MTM IR laser is eye-safe. Great little device. Tough as nails. Submersible to 60-feet. Makes a spectacular spotter with the factory 3x magnifier.

I keep one in my travel backpack / carry-on for all domestic travel, along with my Satphone.
    Ok, so probably good for at least 300 meters depending on how good your NVG's are.

Legit UTMs are tough to come by. 99% of them are radioactive/stolen. Release papers, or no-go.
    That's what I really needed to know! I don't need to tell cool "Horta" stories!! I like my freedom and am not a "fish" (Half Baked movie reference).

• Haha
    I saw some bouncing around the NC area for a decent price. I haven't looked very hard into them.

the MTM's were neat when they were the only thing available but then the UTM and Skeetir came out and they were both better in a lot of different ways. Now with the 640 skeetir out, that's probably the neatest thing available

MTM’s are great units for a 320 unit and IMO the best bang for the buck for a rugged and high quality monocular. You can get the things for $2500 which is what entry level junk sells for. Are they as good as a 640 Trijicon or BAE unit? Absolutely not, but you’ll spend at least twice as much for one of those so if you’re on a budget it’s really the way to go if you don’t want to deal with the issues of the cheap shit.