• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me if you think this is a good trade

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I am thinking about trading my Les Baer Patrolman AR15 that I rarely shoot for a Springfield Loaded M1A that's in a fiberglass stock with a scope. I can remove the scope.

I have an M1 Garand and a DPMS LR308 SASS.

My thinking is that the values are comparable, and I can always buy or build an AR15 for less than I paid for the Les Baer. I bought it more or less on a whim a few years ago and have only shot it enough to sight it in.

I only shoot matches using the Garand so the M1A would just be for fun.

Jim

Re: Tell me if you think this is a good trade

I would rate the values as pretty comparable if not leaning in favor of the M1A being worth more (depending on condition of each, number of included mags with each, accessories, etc.). The last Patrolman/Police Special carbine I saw sell used went for only around $1100, so like I said...the M1A may be a great deal for you (especially if you'll shoot the M1A versus just looking at the AR).
wink.gif

It may be a REALLY GOOD deal depending on which scope mount and scope the M1A is currently wearing!

In the end...it all comes down to whether you'd rather have the AR or the M1A.

agree with ORD, I dont think the value is going up on AR's, M1A's seem to be slowly increasing over the years. I'd trade but thats me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is the ad.

Jim </div></div>

Okay...here are some of my initial thoughts/concerns with that ad.

1) Why is it "back up for sale?" Deadbeat buyer...did someone try to make a deal and realize the M1A is not as described, in "less-than" condition, etc. (That seller's feedback is +9 on ARFCOM...FWIW).

2) No mention of round count, condition (aside from "excellent shooter"), etc.

3) The Smith Enterprises mount is a good quality mount and one of the better quality mounts for the M1A so if you are going to run a scope, then that is a good, stable platform from which to run one...the scope however is a POS.

4) The CMI Mags are good quality mags (if he has more of them...probably worth picking some more up with the rifle depending on cost, condition, etc.).

All that above are things to consider, but if it were me and I didn't already have my share of M1As, and I could get some answers to those questions...I'd probably jump on it.

I just contacted the guy with the M1A and he had just traded it.
Now I just have to convince myself that it was probably worn out anyway.

Jim

It was a POS. You did fine.

(Not really, just trying to make you feel better)

Yup...MAJOR POS!!!
wink.gif
(Just keep repeating that to yourself)!!

All joking aside...you can buy a brand new in the box M1A loaded with the synthetic stock for around $1350 (minus the SE mount, CMI mags, etc. of course).
wink.gif
If you really want one, I'm betting that you can sell off your LB Patrolman's carbine for at least $1,100 or so and then put that toward the M1A.

I have had the Les Baer for sale for a while.
I am not dying for an M1A. It's just something I have always wanted for fun. This was just a trade that didn't go through. He found someone closer, and there are no hard feelings.
At the worst I still have a Les Baer. When it cools off a little I really should go shoot it.

Jim

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What ORD said. Honestly, if you don't have another .223 AR, just keep the LB, it's a very nice rifle. It wasn't meant to be, no worries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 997/2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^^^^^^^^^^
What ORD said. Honestly, if you don't have another .223 AR, just keep the LB, it's a very nice rifle. It wasn't meant to be, no worries.
</div></div>

The only other AR I have is the DPMS LR308 SASS.

Jim