• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me something...

SierraCharlie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2009
NY
Is the Post Exchange lousy with lowballers or is the market so soft that it justifies deeply discounted offers?

It’s a serious question.

I moved to a communist state about five years ago and have not been involved in the buying or selling of anything until very recently.

So, should I expect the majority of my offers to be substantially lower than asking price?

If it was the occasional outlier lowball I wouldn’t be asking the question.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
It’s a serious question.

I moved to a communist state about five years ago and have not been involved in the buying or selling of anything until very recently.

So, should I expect the majority of my offers to be substantially lower than asking price?

Are you attempting to sell once fired brass for 10 % above retail ? (by way of example only.....)

If so, maybe someone IS trying to fuck with you. There are a lot of people trying to sell used stuff for retail, or more.

I see some of the asking prices here and think "Gee, I doubt I'd even get offers for 60% of what others are listing similar stuff for". It's the market. List, or don't list. Accept offers, or don't. The market makes the rules. Having said that, I am continually astounded when I see people paying retail plus, for used stuff. I bite my tongue and stay out of it (other than this response).

Reactions: 47guy and 1J04
It’s a serious question.

Cheapskates abound. They're hoping for killer deal after killer deal, especially if the marketplace floods when the banphobic start pissing themselves at the thought of uncompensated forfeiture. It gets to be manic with some of them. Back in the run-up to Obama, I had people making ridiculous barter offers for 5.56. And the more you're selling, or the higher the quality, the more deluded they become.

Reactions: 1J04 and Snipe260
Everyone is looking for a deal. Most consider listed prices as soft, and a forum as a great place to negotiate.

Wanna date the head cheerleader? Gotta ask.

Want to deal? Gotta ask.

Yes, you should expect everyone to lowball your listing. That is human nature. If you really want to sell it, put it on gunbroker- no reserve.

It’s the market. Obama was the greatest gun salesman of all time.

Everyone is looking for a deal. Most consider listed prices as soft, and a forum as a great place to negotiate.

Wanna date the head cheerleader? Gotta ask.

Want to deal? Gotta ask.

Yes, you should expect everyone to lowball your listing. That is human nature. If you really want to sell it, put it on gunbroker- no reserve.

Right. I get these things and expect people to negotiate. That said, I’ve been a member here nearly ten years and I’ve never seen anything like this.

For instance, I’ve got some Proof CF barrels for sale, brand new. A guy PMs and asks “Would you do $550?” I tell him no and then he ghosts me like that was a reasonable ask.

What?! Is there something I missed?

It's timing as well. Not that you won't get low-balled any other time of the year, but a lot of people have expenses from the holidays, plus with tax season rolling around. Might be a good thing for some or a perpetual curse. Credit cards can slowly be paid off if one feels like getting reamed with interest. Uncle Sam, he is going to get his piece quickly.

Right. I get these things and expect people to negotiate. That said, I’ve been a member here nearly ten years and I’ve never seen anything like this.

For instance, I’ve got some Proof CF barrels for sale, brand new. A guy PMs and asks “Would you do $550?” I tell him no and then he ghosts me like that was a reasonable ask.

Some people's children. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that anyhow, even if they came back with my asking offer. I'm the worst businessman ever - I'd totally fuck up a sale over that, just on principle. Then again, I don't know the gritty little details though and every case is different! I would give some leniency where appropriate.

Last edited:
Hi,

Well since you asked....

Your Proof barrels are pretty much exactly retail cost considering they are listed at $729 at damn near every retailer that sells them. Take into consideration you call them and get a discount plus they cover shipping.....In the end your barrels would cost more than from a retailer where I know I can get support should something be wrong with the barrels.

Sincerely,
Theis

Years ago, I had an upper listed on the old, pre-lawsuit THR. Somebody that I knew from dealings completely unrelated to firearms approached me through THR and pretty much demanded that I sell it to him for a quarter of my already low-ball asking price. When I refused, he ran around bad-mouthing me to mutual acquaintances not ensconced in the gun culture. They build up Walter Mittyish dreams of getting x for y. It's even worse on auction sites.

Reactions: AIAW
When I am the seller it is up to me to figure out the price that makes me happy. I list the item at that price and respond "no thanks" to lower offers. The board does not have 100,000 members any more, so it make take a little time to get the guy who needs your item at a fair price.

When I am interested in an item at a different price than what is offered then I will PM an offer, if the seller is not interested he is under no obligation to respond, though when I am the seller I try to say no thanks.

You have to remember the rule in life. When you are the buyer it is easy to spend your money but when you are the seller it is hard to get money. It does not matter what you are offered. Before you list it do yourself a favor and figure out what you need and what the item is worth (and what makes it worth that much) explain that in your listing describing the item, what you paid for it, it's condition, age use and your reason for selling. Expect the process to take time.

A guy PMs and asks “Would you do $550?” I tell him no and then he ghosts me like that was a reasonable ask. What?! Is there something I missed?

I have no dog in the fight but maybe it's the guys grocery money and that's the best he can do and he's just hoping? Or he wants to resell and make a profit, you never know? Supply/Demand determines the market, if it won't sell then................... What is "fair" often depends on which side of the fence you are on. Just post "firm" or "very firm" or "no less" or "no lowball" and it will cut down most of that.

Reactions: SierraCharlie
Hi,

Well since you asked....

Your Proof barrels are pretty much exactly retail cost considering they are listed at $729 at damn near every retailer that sells them. Take into consideration you call them and get a discount plus they cover shipping.....In the end your barrels would cost more than from a retailer where I know I can get support should something be wrong with the barrels.

Sincerely,
Theis

That is true, they are close to retail. I was not aware that you could call and get a discount on such an in demand item. The law of supply and demand does not usually work that way. Care to PM that information? It could have been useful.

It's timing as well. Not that you won't get low-balled any other time of the year, but a lot of people have expenses from the holidays, plus with tax season rolling around. Might be a good thing for some or a perpetual curse. Credit cards can slowly be paid off if one feels like getting reamed with interest. Uncle Sam, he is going to get his piece quickly.

I hadn’t considered that. I may have to hold out for fairer weather.

When I am the seller it is up to me to figure out the price that makes me happy. I list the item at that price and respond "no thanks" to lower offers. The board does not have 100,000 members any more, so it make take a little time to get the guy who needs your item at a fair price.

When I am interested in an item at a different price than what is offered then I will PM an offer, if the seller is not interested he is under no obligation to respond, though when I am the seller I try to say no thanks.

You have to remember the rule in life. When you are the buyer it is easy to spend your money but when you are the seller it is hard to get money. It does not matter what you are offered. Before you list it do yourself a favor and figure out what you need and what the item is worth (and what makes it worth that much) explain that in your listing describing the item, what you paid for it, it's condition, age use and your reason for selling. Expect the process to take time.

Fair enough.

Hi,

It is pretty common knowledge that the vendors that support snipers hide will offer a discount for being a hide member. The amounts are up to the vendor and the purchaser. It has to do with MAP thing...that is why almost every retailer has the barrels listed at exact same price....because Proof mandates it but Proof does not mandate what they actually sell it at as long as it is not advertised at said price.

Also---In regards to your rifle ad....it is for a rifle built by a company that does not exist anymore. So there will be absolutely no direct support from the company that built it. All support will have to come from indirect sources which cost more than going to the source itself...but your rifle essentially has no source :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Dude, I just looked in your Proof Barrel post.......................................now I understand where you're coming from! Wow, they've really been working you over........................I've never seen anything like that before either!

Hi,

It is pretty common knowledge that the vendors that support snipers hide will offer a discount for being a hide member. The amounts are up to the vendor and the purchaser. It has to do with MAP thing...that is why almost every retailer has the barrels listed at exact same price....because Proof mandates it but Proof does not mandate what they actually sell it at as long as it is not advertised at said price.

Also---In regards to your rifle ad....it is for a rifle built by a company that does not exist anymore. So there will be absolutely no direct support from the company that built it. All support will have to come from indirect sources which cost more than going to the source itself...but your rifle essentially has no source :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Ugh. Is CORE the only vendor that sells PROOF?

The rifle I understand, it’s an unknown quantity from a provider that’s no longer in business. That doesn’t diminish the fact that the shop built some fantastic rifles.
Dude, I just looked in your Proof Barrel post.......................................now I understand where you're coming from! Wow, they've really been working you over........................I've never seen anything like that before either!

Right?! I’m getting offers left and right for half price!

Selling is as hard now as I ever remember. More so on this site. The guys here seem to know everything about every detail of every product but are somewhat lacking in the ability to pay for it. I have had 3 pseudo buyers agree to purchase items this week then disappear. This was very rare in the past. All in all, the market determines the price. It's a tough market just now.

I also ran into a scammer on the sale side for the first time ever. Sold me 2250-2350 77 grain TMK bullets that were so short I counted them. 1707 was the total. The guy refused to accept return, removed the ad prior to shipping so I had no proof of his quantity stated then refunded partially for what was missing. Fucking crook. InkedIan is his name.

The worst are those who ask every question, request every picture, want to see condition of the paper wrapping then offer to trade you their broken, worn out Savage for your new in box high quality item.

This is still a great site and great place to sell. Just need to be patient and diligent.

Now I really am LMAO. That spotter is the turdliest of turdly POS. And somebody wants you to go $700 on BOTH? Jaw-drop ...

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. You can have a Jordan rookie card that lists for $2k. But if 10/10 potential buyers only offer you $1200, its worth $1200.

A seller can put whatever price on it they want. But a seller shouldnt whine when its overpriced and nobody wants to give the asking price. Its a buyers market. Always. Price it fairly and merchandise will move. Isnt capitalism great?

Ive seen many used, $4k+ custom rigs here for sale with half shot out barrels where the seller is asking $250-$500 below retail. Hilarious. That "savings" wouldnt pay for a new barrel and the gunsmithing involved to install it. Better off buying a brand new gun. There are probably some listed right now. Havent looked in awhile.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to price your stuff at what you would like to get and have it sit there and nobody talk to you until somebody might decide they want it at your asking price, or if you'd like a lot of people to engage you with offers of what they would be willing to pay and you can then get traction on it & decide how much you want the money.

Most of what is listed here comes under "luxury goods" and a lot of sellers don't take into account what someone could go by the same or equivalent for in new (or used) when you hunt all over the country on the internet for the best deals. Then the person is also getting new, usually with a warranty and often with a return option etc. Also a lot of times with some vendors like EO and LO you can get better deals calling in vs. what is displayed online (due to restrictions) that make new or show demo even more appealing.

There is also a big difference in financial motivation when you actually need xxx specific item, or when you are looking around at a bunch of different options that will work for you (especially on things like barrels), and want to pick the best value for the money.

I've sold lots of things (mostly locally as it's less hassle) and quite often I have to adjust what I think something is worth fairly significantly in order to move it. (Such as when the RPR came out it was over $1k, now used ones or even new unfired used ones are a fair bit under $1k)

I buy a lot of stuff used, but I generally want to get a pretty good deal on it, a deal that's good enough for me to take the risk with used stuff as opposed to if it's a couple hundred more on a large value item for new, might as well go new. Also since most of the time I don't actually "need" it, I'll offer what is a price that makes me grab it now instead of wanting to think on it.

Some guys get all upset at getting a lower offer, others appreciate it because they actually need the money then and there & like having a backstop offer that they know someone will right away give them at least $xxx.

i see rifle and spotting scopes, used, listed for more than i have recently paid for them, brand new. with credit card points, easy returns, free ship and the like with retailers, and just a riskier transaction with private seller, something has to be really below real retail for me to jump on it.

I find the low offers ok but the stupid bad trade offers get on my nerves when I spend 45 minutes replying to text then get a ridiculous offer. When I get a "Ralph Nader" type buyer who has to verify every detail I first ask them, "is the price agreeable?" I don't mind providing information but don't want the stupid offer at the end of marathon texting or calling session.

lowballers_hemi.png

I used to be a VP of sales for a tech firm, I understand the laws of supply and demand. I’d like to make it clear that I am not whining about the offers. Am I astounded by some them? Yes.

My goal is data collection; to understand if this is commonplace in the current market? Are others experiencing the same types of things? With that information I can decide to modify, hold, or withdraw my offers.

You can post a list of trade for these items only or no trades. You will get fewer responses but still get the serious buyers.
My expirence is that you will need to offer 50-75.00 off the lowest listed pricing to move those barrels.

from my experience it seems to be a regional thing.

my friend is a real estate agent, been in a few different states over the years mainly on the east coast.

a rough example:

he said that the bib population centers NY, NJ etc when selling a house you list it at 310K and expect to get 295K with offers in the 250-275K range to start.

in the central states NC, SC etc you list it at 295K and get offers between 280-290K.

they can always tell when a out of state person is putting in a offer because its so much lower then expected.

I just posted a serious "WTB: Sako M10" in the sale forum. I'm hoping someone comes back with something so I can be like $10K new, I'll give you $3,900 because it has scratches and you fired 60 rounds through it.

You can post a list of trade for these items only or no trades. You will get fewer responses but still get the serious buyers.
My expirence is that you will need to offer 50-75.00 off the lowest listed pricing to move those barrels.

You’re talking about lowest commercial listing prices? Correct?

Yes and most on this site know the best price out there. Many also have axcess to dealer pricing so it's tough.

I just posted a serious "WTB: Sako M10" in the sale forum. I'm hoping someone comes back with something so I can be like $10K new, I'll give you $3,900 because it has scratches and you fired 60 rounds through it.

"Scratched NF For Sale" ...

Reactions: 1J04
Hi,

I do NOT think he is selling "That".......

You been trading instant soups and cheetos for "favors" again huh?

Sincerely,
Theis

He takes it all in trade ... in "the can."

Reactions: 1J04
I've sold a ton of stuff on here over the years. I made posts about it over them as well about the runs ins I'd get both here and other places. It's not just you. My favorites:

- You describe a common item (not some custom 1 off thing) as best as you can in every way. People badger you for pics; you send pics of the exact thing showing it is what it is in exactly the condition it was described in every way and you never hear from these faggots again

- No Trades in ad. Get replies with 'what trades are you looking for' or 'I have a 86 Datsun primer grey door I value at $1500, so we can trade it for your item and you still owe me $200 after, ok?'

- People who ask 878970990 questions about the item. Then when you're finally sick of seeing questions and try to close them; some bullshit like a 'family emergency' or 'my car just broke down' or whatever convenient bullshit arises -OR- the talk of fucking trades comes up out of nowhere

- Trades?@????!?!?!!/?? Any trades/??!!???

- If you are looking for a specific trade item, the guy with it decides that the $400 pistol is now worth $600 in trade because it shoots 1/2 MOA

- People who are shit at negotiation. Like literal shit. It's like when I was selling one of my houses in Florida and I'd have people make offers based on the ask price; if they were within $10k of it, we'd talk and see. But then some faggot 'investors' show up and with a straight face offer me $50k under asking price for it, I'd just straight tell them to go fuck themselves. My favorite was the guy who actually got upset that I wouldn't even humor his $50k under the ask price offer and tried to rationalize shit and just annoyed the fuck out of me. He then literally said, 'well, I make lower offers because there has to be some money in it for me too'; I think he finally figured things out when I simply replied with 'I dont give a shit if you starve to death'.

Remember, there is no rule against trolling people who ask you stupid questions or make insulting offers.

Reactions: RTH1800
bought and sold items my entire life, most of the time it was my job that i did for a living, other times, i just like wheeling and dealing. Was in the horse business for over 20 years. Being in that really taught me a lesson. As an old auctioneer told me one time, " an item is worth what it is on any given day", if u take it to an auction, sell it, might b worth more, but u have the time and expense listing it, not selling it, paying commission, then probably take the same in the end for it the second time around. " This is not an auction site persay, but in a way it is, u list what u want, folks offer to buy it for what they're willing to give. Really nothing to get upset about. The reason so many make lowball offers is because of the sellers themselves, i've seen multiple items listed as "price firm" only to see a week later after no one buys it, the price starts going down almost daily. Very few prices are firm.

Reactions: 308220
I've sold a ton of stuff on here over the years. I made posts about it over them as well about the runs ins I'd get both here and other places. It's not just you. My favorites:

- You describe a common item (not some custom 1 off thing) as best as you can in every way. People badger you for pics; you send pics of the exact thing showing it is what it is in exactly the condition it was described in every way and you never hear from these faggots again

- No Trades in ad. Get replies with 'what trades are you looking for' or 'I have a 86 Datsun primer grey door I value at $1500, so we can trade it for your item and you still owe me $200 after, ok?'

- People who ask 878970990 questions about the item. Then when you're finally sick of seeing questions and try to close them; some bullshit like a 'family emergency' or 'my car just broke down' or whatever convenient bullshit arises -OR- the talk of fucking trades comes up out of nowhere

- Trades?@????!?!?!!/?? Any trades/??!!???

- If you are looking for a specific trade item, the guy with it decides that the $400 pistol is now worth $600 in trade because it shoots 1/2 MOA

- People who are shit at negotiation. Like literal shit. It's like when I was selling one of my houses in Florida and I'd have people make offers based on the ask price; if they were within $10k of it, we'd talk and see. But then some faggot 'investors' show up and with a straight face offer me $50k under asking price for it, I'd just straight tell them to go fuck themselves. My favorite was the guy who actually got upset that I wouldn't even humor his $50k under the ask price offer and tried to rationalize shit and just annoyed the fuck out of me. He then literally said, 'well, I make lower offers because there has to be some money in it for me too'; I think he finally figured things out when I simply replied with 'I dont give a shit if you starve to death'.

Remember, there is no rule against trolling people who ask you stupid questions or make insulting offers.

Why can I only like this once?? It merits more liking than that. :)