• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me what you'd pick??

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Okay going to start working up a load for my daughters
Savage .243 youth rifle. These are the bullets I got to try.

And these our the powders I got on hand to try

Plan on shooting a lot this summer with her, and
Even try the short course at Thunder valley? So most
Of the loads under the .243 page are bullet weights
Over these??? So that's why I'm asking. Any input
On loads you got for any of these combos please
Chim in...

87gr vmaxes are a go-to for me. You've some good powders to toy with. I jam them and run '17, but would probably start with IMR4350 or Varget outta those.

From Berger's manual:

IMR 4350

80gr FB
Start-40.0gr 2789fps
Max--44.6gr3192 fps

They list 4895, and 3031, but this load says 96% fill, if you have enough run it.

You have to step up to 88grainers to get into Varget, not saying you can't try it?

H4831sc
80gr FB
Start- 41.0gr 2898fps
Max- 45.8 gr 3231fps
98% fill ratio

Berger Manual from my standpoint has been conservative, these are plenty good enough velocities for a young girl, no need to get her recoil sensitive!
Miles

I do know that jug of MRP will kick ass with a heavier bullet, Norma's website should have data.

Last edited:
Bubb, got it right this time, edited post, you're good to use it.
Miles

Well, I tried the 80gr. Berger 5 or 6 years ago in a 6mmRem. Performance on coyotes left a lot to be desired. Besides that, it wasn't particularly accurate in my gun. I think the 87VMax is a very good choice and any flavor of 4350 would be good starting point. The other selections, not too crazy about. BB

Okay going with the 87 v-max and fed 210 primers and IMR 4350. I don't have that manual could I get a starting point for this load?

Vmax and 4350 all day. The vmax will destroy small game and are cheap when you can find them. Should be not to hard to find as everyone wants 105s. Best of luck.

87 well my daughter used a 55 v max hornady loaded to kill her first deer 170lbs doe! Still need a starting point please.

Okay going with the 87 v-max and fed 210 primers and IMR 4350. I don't have that manual could I get a starting point for this load?

From Hornady 8th
No listing for 4350 of any brand

IMR 4831
87gr vmax
Start- 40.8gr 2900fps
Max43.8 gr 3100fps

I can't see why those numbers wouldn't coincide with H4831
Using data for the 80 gr Berger fb, I don't see why you couldn't develop off 4350???
Also RL 17 would kick butt too.

For her gun and what distance she will be shooting I'll start at 40 might be a low node? I'm doing a different load process than every body does on here. Taught to me by Ken Markel of K&M reloading. He made high end custom reloading equipment. He lives a few houses down and is a customer of mine. If all goes well I should have a finished load for this combo in less than 20 rounds... Yea funny right? I know, but I'm doing it his way and we will see together what ol Mr Markel knows... :) his targets don't lie!!!

Dont be stingy brother whats this load testing process. I would love to be done with a load work up in less than 20 rnds. Totally understand if its classified info. LOL

Desnipe this is a load for my 300 weatherby I did in less than 20
Rounds. First time I used his meathod. First I'm no expert in reloading.
I'll take pictures and list this process best I can.
And yes he knows all the round robin, Owc testes out there.
300 weatherbys told aren't very accurate ?

I'd say IMR 4350 with 87 vmax... Deadly combo... The varget is awesome but unless you have 10 lbs stashed I go to IMr 4350 because the varget is GONE nation wide.. Super hard to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk