• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tell Me Why this is a bad deal

AustinR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
My brother sent me this link and wants me to order one, but I'm not sure why the price is so low.

Link Here

It's a Norinco M-14S for $400. Tax, FFL transfer and what have ya make it about $500 here. I'll admit, I know next to nothing about M14s.

What do you guys think?

Re: Tell Me Why this is a bad deal

http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/faq

5- Do you ship firearm to the United States (or other Countries).

5- The short answer is no. However we do export firearms with a minimum export order of $3000.00. US Customers please find out from ATF what is required from you to import.

That's pretty much what I thought. I thought about getting a M1 garand though the CMP, but that's the only time I thought about a semi-auto.

The kid knows quality. He's got two Mosin Nagants and a Mossberg 500... I figured it'd be a piece.

Actually the Norinco/Poly Tech receivers are forged (just like the real GI M14) and are quite good to build from. But rumors still float around the internet from people who've probably never owned one. I believe they're specifically banned from importation by name or else somebody would be bringing them in.

Most of the Chinese receivers are forged, if it was not in Canada then you get it and throw away all the parts except the receiver and rebuild it with GI parts.
I have an M1A scout rifle built on a Forged Chinese Receiver before LRB and others started making their own forged receiver. It is the only thing that is not USGI or new.

Not sure how you connect mosin nagant and mossberg to norinco.

The norinco m14 is a piece of shit.

The mosin nagant has been around since 1891 for a very good reason. It is typical Russian, ugly but very functional.

The US Military owns more Mossberg 500's then any other shotgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how you connect mosin nagant and mossberg to norinco.

The mosin nagant has been around since 1891 for a very good reason. It is typical Russian, ugly but very functional.

The US Military owns more Mossberg 500's then any other shotgun. </div></div>

Really? How many have you owned or had built? I have no axe to grind but I'd like to know how many of these you've personally seen that were dimensionally incorrect to base a build upon?

I'm also asking because it's been stated in more than one place that LRB had these exact problems at one time and very reputable M1A smiths refused to use them. So do you actually have any experience with the platform or are you repeating what you heard on the internet?

Fngmike, I agree pretty decent receivers to build a nice M1A on, wish I could find one for $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how you connect mosin nagant and mossberg to norinco.

Really? How many have you owned or had built? I have no axe to grind but I'd like to know how many of these you've personally seen that were dimensionally incorrect to base a build upon?

I'm also asking because it's been stated in more than one place that LRB had these exact problems at one time and very reputable M1A smiths refused to use them. So do you actually have any experience with the platform or are you repeating what you heard on the internet? </div></div>

I stand by my assertion that the norinco rifle is a POS.
I said nothing about the reciever itself.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but a rifle is more than just a reciever. You need, among other things, a barrel, a trigger group, a stock, a good op rod and more.
If you wanted to buy an off the shelf rifle to shoot, you would be much better off with an M1A.

A norinco is a chinese POS. If you want to buy one just for the receiver, have at it, the receiver would work just fine. So, tell me, what do you do with that outstanding barrel and trigger group?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how you connect mosin nagant and mossberg to norinco.

I'm also asking because it's been stated in more than one place that LRB had these exact problems at one time and very reputable M1A smiths refused to use them. So do you actually have any experience with the platform or are you repeating what you heard on the internet? </div></div>

I stand by my assertion that the norinco rifle is a POS.
I said nothing about the reciever itself.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but a rifle is more than just a reciever. You need, among other things, a barrel, a trigger group, a stock, a good op rod and more.
If you wanted to buy an off the shelf rifle to shoot, you would be much better off with an M1A.

A norinco is a chinese POS. If you want to buy one just for the receiver, have at it, the receiver would work just fine. So, tell me, what do you do with that outstanding barrel and trigger group? </div></div>

Wow, all that bluster without directly answering any questions. I feel pretty safe to say you don't own one and never have. But yet you feel competent to authoritatively condemn them.

Uh, there's usually nothing wrong with the barrel. I had mine replaced because I wanted a heavier one. So you don't need to take my word for it, you can ask the guy who built mine,he stated it was fine. I know of at least one other person who had the knowledge to fit a GI bolt using the factory barrel and his works very well.

Trigger group? My smith replaced the same parts he'd most likely have replaced on a Springfield with GI before he did the trigger job. SA doesn't use GI parts any longer to build their rifles. If I was going to buy a Springfield, I'd look for an older model and be prepared to pay the price it will command.

The op rod was fine, any experience w/ SA's part to comment on that? I wonder why that's such a popular aftermarket piece these days?

I will concede that some bolts were known to be soft so mine was replaced with an H&R. I would recommend checking the headspace before buying one. Unknown, you might never have an issue but better safe than sorry. I believe that's been corrected as the Canadians seem to love them.

Perhaps all your prejudice has skewed your thinking as I would assert that ANY rifle starts with a receiver. To me, you statement semi-sounds like I shouldn't be concerned about paying to have a bolt gun receiver trued, just trust Remington, right?

Since you've recommended SA, I guess you're a fan of cast as opposed to forged receivers. I suppose if they're correctly made it's not a problem.

The stock? It's almost funny that you bring this up on this site. If we were talking bolt guns the majority of people here would say buy a 700 for the aftermarket parts and replace the POS stock right off the bat. Well since it's wood it's unbedded like most of the bottom line Springfields. After wasting money before on replacement stocks, imo, I'd get a GI 'glass one for either rifle.

If it doesn't shoot in that stock it probably won't shoot at all. I wouldn't buy into the sales hype surrounding any wonder stock on the market. Yes, an accurate rifle will be accurate in the new stock, but the stock won't make a dog better.

My 1st Poly shot 2 MOA at 100 w/ FGMM. This was so long ago other internet experts were bloviating on what crap they were without even bothering to KNOW if they could be rebarreled. And this included a "reputable" smith who apparently had a large fanboy following for overpriced stuff. I've seen this information regurgitated (as fact) since '96.

Please keep recommending new Springfields to the masses. In case I ever want to buy another Chinese POS, guys like you will be sure to keep the prices down.

I didn't "recommend" anything.
Apparently your comprhensive ability is clouded.

I stated that if one wanted an off the shelf rifle to shoot, you would be much better off with one. That is a far cry from endorsing a product.

You are talking about buying a rifle for nothing but the receiver, then using it for a build.
I have no issues with that whatsoever.
An off the shelf rifle and a semi-custom build are two very different things.

I am not prejudiced in any way in regards to polytech/norinco. But if the OP is looking to buy a rifle that does not require some tweaking, possibly expensive tweaking, I think he should look elsewhere.

While the SA may not be the quality they should be (and most certainly charge you for), at least you have some type of warranty or possible legal avenue.