• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Temp Change = POA Change *Update*

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
I know it sounds weird but let me explain.

Maybe wrong forum even but whatever!

I have posted before about my POI changing from Warm Temps to Cold temps. I eliminated ammo by conducting a field experiment.

Zero @ 40* F and Up POA = POI. When temps dip below 40* F the POI needs to be raised 3/4 MOA Up to hit POA. It seems to be consistent.

Started to think about the dynamics of the rifle.

Decided to get the Bore Sighter out. I put the rifle outside in 35* weather and place the bore sighter in place and left it for a while.
372329d7.jpg

I then adjusted the turrets to match up with one of the grid lines and left it a little longer.
8445e701.jpg

After a while I brought it in being careful not to bump or move the bore sighter. I recorded the location of the reticle and left it all set inside (69* F) for several hours. I then looked through the scope to see the location of the reticle.
0f0266ae.jpg

I found that it moved with out touching a thing. I made a turret adjustment to put it back where it was outside. 6 clicks (IPHY) down to get it back to the same spot. Which means POI would have gone up about 1 1/2 IPHY from 35* to 69*.

I have never actually experienced this much change but I am seeing 3/4 change consistently. And yes, I know this it not a precise method of testing this but none the less, it is moving.

A while back I was having POI shifts when the rifle was impacted on the ground. I had the front lug bedded by a very talented local Smith (in other words I trust him completely). I then found that the torques specs had changed for AI from approximately 53 in/lbs to a little over 88 in/lbs. When I torqued it to these specs the rifle shot POA = POI even when impacting the rifle on the ground pretty hard.

But, it seems now that I am getting this 3/4 moa change that was not there before.

It should be noted that I did not have the rear part of the receiver bedded. Only the area around the front lug back to the magazine well. There does not seem to be any movement in the rear of the receiver when torquing it down but could the whole thing be "warping" in the different climates?

I am in stage two of the test right now. I loosened the torque on the chassis to where it is just holding the barreled action. Not even finger tight. I adjusted the ret. to coincide with a grid line and put it all back outside. I am now waiting for the results of that. I am surmising that if the ret. doesn't move then the torque/chassis/bedding may be the issue. If it does, then well, Scope/Base/Rings combination may be it.

FYI - USO SN3 Tpal 3.2x17 - Seekins Precision (6x4 Ring Set) - Factory AI AE Rail mounted with 8-40 Screws

Thought about posting this in the Gun Smith Forum so I could get some input from them, but, range report and exterior ballistics (even though this is not a direct bullet parameter) seemed to make more sense.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Temp Change = POA Change

Stage 2 of the test results!

With the Barreled action in the chassis but no torque there is NO change in reticle location on the grid.

My thoughts are to bed the entire action now!

How about yours!

Metal moves when it heats/cools.

Bedding's never a bad idea.....

Well I took it to my smith and he's gonna bed the entire action length! Probably should have done it this way the first time.

He's also installing a Badger IMUNS!

Hopefully when I get it back there are some cold days left (I can't believe I'm hoping for that) to test it again!

If not, well, I'm gonna have to find someone with a freezer or walk-in cooler that will keep it for me!

Waiting with nervous anticipation! Hope it works!

Very good,

I would check with several torque values,

The odd thing, nothing is touching the barrel so what is moving the scope, or is it the barrel ? this might explain a few of the AEs have odd cold bore issues, being a bad barrel that is susceptible to changes in temp more than they should be. I have often speculated it was a threading problem in the receiver.

I would get with someone like Graham to see how your serial numbers compare, if the barrels are a similar batch. Seem odd just sitting there it doesn't move, but torqued in it does... stress on the lug ? Could be why this happens with the AE and not the AW -- as least from what I see. A problem around the recoil lug area.

I had no intention of bedding my M700 into my AICS - until I saw how badly the banana-shaped action rocked in the action.

It is well known that Remmy heat treats after cutting their critical dimensions, whereas the custom action makers do it the other way around.

A vee block cut to dimension does not work very well when the item it is mating to is not of the same dimension and straight.

Good actions and vee blocks work just fine.

This is not a chassis but an AE... so, I think that a bit different.

for the record, rifles in chassis like my Werewolf from GAP is bedded from George.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a chassis but an AE... so, I think that a bit different.

for the record, rifles in chassis like my Werewolf from GAP is bedded from George. </div></div>

OHHHH..... my bad. Tnx for the clarification. Makes for an even more interesting story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get with someone like Graham to see how your serial numbers compare, if the barrels are a similar batch. Seem odd just sitting there it doesn't move, but torqued in it does... stress on the lug ? Could be why this happens with the AE and not the AW -- as least from what I see. A problem around the recoil lug area. </div></div>You rang?!!
laugh.gif

Serously, though, my cold bore deviation is in no way temperature sensitive and in every way the rifle and not the shooter. For the first two thousand rounds it was .3 Mils low for the first shot. Now it's .2 Mils low first shot. Every time: -40F to 110F.

Stacey offered to diagnose it, but it shoots so well otherwise that no one is touching my rifle. I simply dial .2 Mils for the first shot and it's right there, everytime.

Well I think I'll pm him next!

Thanks Graham!

My partner has an AI AE the is only a few digits away from mine in serial number and barrel batch. His has no issues like this!

Zak - I figure since I have had it bedded and such they will not be so willing to fix a broken rifle. If so, that would impress me.

This is a very interesting but concerning issue posted. The first thing I would point out is that if a customer has an issue with one of our products, please contact me directly. The weapon will need to be returned to AINA Service Department, I will go through the weapon and note any issue, determine if it is a "warranty" or "service" issue, then contact the owner for authorization to proceed. We do not authorize or desire "gunsmiths" to work on our product line for many reasons which will vary from "they can make it better" to "this needs ....... to be right and AI ........" comments to start. I don't believe anyone here will argue with my statement of I will do everything I can to assist you, I'm not here to break the bank or make money on service/maintenance issues for no reason.

I don't understand why the chassis/action needed to be bedded.
I don't understand why the optical POA would change with or without torque.
I can understand and have seen some CCB issues, they come in, I fix them.
I completely disagree with "Zak Smith", its not factory and we will determine if its "broken" and what the fix will be.
Each customer case is discussed, reviewed and handled individually which is taken very seriously and professionally @ AINA. I try to assist anyone with issues whether it is or not a factory issue. Customer service is our top priority and as always, that is why I'm here, to assist all our customers/owners.
As Graham stated, I offered to assist him and there are others. Some are just as happy and know what that weapon will do and account for it and move on. But I do try to assist even them. Hope this helps and you know how to contact me directly for further assistance.

"Stacey Blankenship",

Why put my name in quotes when you know it's my real name?

I apologize for assuming it was still a factory rifle. I read most of the OP, but apparently missed that he had already messed with the rifle. That's why I prefaced my statement with, "Factory AE?"

In this case, I'd say it definitely <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> broken, but it was his and his gunsmith's fault for damaging it. That was a really stupid thing to do: to take a perfectly good AE and mess it up in this manner.

It sounds like at the beginning - before modification, he was getting some POI shift when the rifle hit the ground: that's not right either. He should have sent the rifle to you at that point.

"Zak Smith"

"WOW", oops I guess huh. Nothing meant, normally when I quote someone, I will "NAME", I know its our name and those here know my name as well. Ok, yes, and not broken till determined. Moving on...

Regardless of your guys, customer service little talk there..

That was still a good test !

I look forward to seeing the test after the op's rifle is finished.

Stacey,

I appreciate your fast response via the thread and PM. I have a saying, "It is what it is!" and it seems to be fitting here. I can not take back what has been done, only move forward to find a resolution. I did not expect a full warranty coverage or any for that matter, due to the fact that I already changed it and had it bedded (partially) previously. I did say that if it was covered I would be impressed.

As of right now, I am waiting for the finished product from my smith and I will see what happens then. Thank you for your offer of assistance.

I will return with updated info when I have it!

With all being said, I want to stress the point of what not to do when you have an issue with any Accuracy International product. I am here to assist, will gladly do so and the last thing I want to see is a system modified prior to getting an opportunity to assist. Once the changes/modifications happen, it is over for warranty as with any manufacture and then the end user/owner spends more time, money and efforts on getting the system back to where it should be in the beginning. All the best and I will be here for further assistance as discussed.

After getting it back from the smith, the reticle still moves the exact same amount from cold to warm or warm to cold environments.

Well, guess I need to make a decision!

Stacey, if you read this I'm still wanting that price to replace the centerbox!

I'll send a PM as a reminder!

Thanks all!

Talked to Stacey! Gun is going to him for a thorough check-up and fixing.

I just have to decide if I want to upgrade to the 2.0 now!

Damn, more decisions! I am confident that it will be taken care of after talking to him.

For any AI users that don't know, if you have problems, call Stacey first.

Thanks again Stacey!

One additional think to consider. Colder air is more dense, which could have a bearing on flight time, and affect drop.

Greg- thought that through too. Take a look at the pics in the post. How does dense air have any effect on the mechanical relationship between the bore and the scope. This experiment shows that the where the barrel is pointed as compared to the scope changes from warm to cold or cold to warm ambient temps. It has nothing to do with firing any rounds down range, except for the results.

Thanks for your input and thoughts on this. I know I've seen several of your post and regard you as one of the members that continue to show they know what they are talking about.

Very good test..I have used laser's and a scope at 100 yards to measure the amount of flex on AR15/10 FF rails from hand hold to bipod.. Even the MONO uppers flex!

Sounds like something is in stress and the temp change is drawing and contracting it..

ASM-1,

Yeah I've done this same thing using ARs and the forearm stress. This is why I have gone to a PRI with a Midlength rail for my precision AR. Absolutely the best I could find. Probably any of them of that design would work nearly the same.