• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Temperature sensitivity

ERA

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Finland
As we all know temperature of gun powder in cartridge and air temperature plays a great role when determining the correct elevation for long range shot due change of velocity and due change air density.

In my experience(using Lapua b408 bullet, FED 215 and Lapua brass in 338LM)

N165= 0.9m/s to 1c of temperature change
N170= Equal to previous
N570= Equal to previous
H1000= 1m/s to 1c of temperature change
Norma MRP-2= 1.1 to 3m/s to 1c temperature change.I have not done enough testing on this powder to be positive on results.

The Norma MRP-2 is a discontinued powder and will be replaced
by Norma 217.

Sorry for metric units, but <span style="font-weight: bold">I would like to hear what is your experience on temperature sensitivity of gun powders. </span>Especially I would like to hear how do find H4831SC is keeping its promise in low temperature sensitivity.

Re: Temperature sensitivity

I did a test the other day on Varget and IMR 4350. I kept 3 rounds loaded with each powderin my pocket as well as testing 3 of each left out in the cold. The temperature was roughly 25F. The Varget lost 9fps and the 4350 lost 27 fps. I'll have to test this again to confirm the results

Re: Temperature sensitivity

esactly your result...... with N165 and N170, load at ambient temperature 20 C and the other one all the night in the freezer.. -5 C......... 25 C of spread...