• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Action in Cadex Chassis

abn_surfer

Vaya con Dios
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2009
    Coastal South-East
    I recently got a Tempest action and dropped it into a Cadex Lite Strike chassis. Everything went together, however, when I went to re-zero the scope, the scope elevation "topped-out" as in reached the limit of elevation. I am using the Cadex 20moa top-rail that interfaces with the forend. Looking at the rifle's profile, the scope angle is pronounced, compared to the 700 I had in the chassis, I can only assume this is the reason for the topped-out scope. My question is: The Cadex Chassis is designed for the R700 SA, is the geometry of the R700 Action and the Tempest that different in terms of causing such a drastic difference in the angle of the rail? Secondly, is there a solution that someone may have to address this issue?

Reactions: jb41291
    The tempest is a round action for both ends, and the 700 has a low rear bridge.

Not super familiar with the cadex stuff, or the top rail your speaking of, but a 20 MOA base for the R700 should not fit a tempest.

Reactions: abn_surfer
    Thank you for the confirmation. I am currently running the competition forend now so there is a workaround, just not what I was hoping for.

Thanks again.

Look closely at your rail, id think it would have a distinct bend in it like a ski jump, since the front screws would have to bend the base down to contact the action.

All stocks I've dropped my tempest in I've needed to relieve just in front of the rear action screw for the trigger hanger. You might also want to check the front of the trigger pocket as there is a support bridge that sometimes makes contact with the trigger hanger. Also on my RACS chassis (I know remington but cadex made it) there is a little "cup" at the back where the tang sits and it had an interference there (action was about 1-2mm too long) that would need relieving.

Check those 3 things but if you have a full length rail that ties into the forend it will be a issue for the reasons mentioned above. A smith may be able to make it work with a ball nose mill bit but you'd have to see.

The last time I checked with Cadex engineering, I believe that the Tempest was not compatible due to a unique top screw pattern. I am going by memory, but I tried to help a client get their Tempest into a Competition chassis, and it was one of the very few actions that we could not get a proper fit.

I hope you did not buy the chassis from us. The Chassis will fit so many actions since it does not have a top rail, but there is something different enough with the Tempest.

Ask the blokes at DC Precision (Aus) how they did it.

122866951_3490775094375811_2695719614019954489_n.jpg

They are not using the chassis pic rail extension. They are using the tempest supplied rail. This is the 50cal I quickly found, same concept.

cadex-precision-rifle-chassis-tan-cadex-dual-strike-50-cal-chassis-for-mcmillan-tac-50-receive...jpg

The last time I checked with Cadex engineering, I believe that the Tempest was not compatible due to a unique top screw pattern. I am going by memory, but I tried to help a client get their Tempest into a Competition chassis, and it was one of the very few actions that we could not get a proper fit.

I hope you did not buy the chassis from us. The Chassis will fit so many actions since it does not have a top rail, but there is something different enough with the Tempest.
    I had the chassis prior to owning a Tempest action. I ended up getting a competition forend, and left the 20moa rail, I did have to modify the rail so the forend would fit. I’m bummed that the top rail didn’t work out, However, stoked how the competition forend worked out.
    In the end I’m moving on and looking to sell the Cadex go to a Manners PRS.

Attachments

• C41F99AC-9A9A-49A6-A153-18BE66B17FB9.jpeg
      C41F99AC-9A9A-49A6-A153-18BE66B17FB9.jpeg
      719.2 KB · Views: 53
    Last edited: